Jeep Trackhawk Forum banner

Do I need to put snow tires on my TrackHawk??

20K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  ROCKMUZK 
#1 ·
Just wondering if it is necessary.

#2 ·
With the oem all season tires, you won’t be tearing up the snowy roads, but the truck handles fine and won’t leave you stuck.

My job requires me to be out on snow days, so I have a set of Blozzaks due anyway now.

I will say though, the oem all seasons have seemed to have lost some snow traction compared to last season when they were new. They now have 15k miles.

Summer tires? Forget it. Don’t even try snow with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I'm from Pittsburgh and the last 3 winters haven't been to bad. Last winter I had my 16 SRT and put winter tires on it. I put the Pirelli snow tires on it and honesty I didn't notice a big difference. Maybe a little better stopping but that's about it. I will say the winter before I had brand new stock all season tires so that probably has something to do with it. I just wanted to see everyone's opinion on the TrackHawk in the snow. I think I'll be alright as long as we don't get 3 feet of snow. If we do I will be going on to Tire Rack to order some snow tires because I can have them in a day or two.. Thanks guys!!

#12 ·
There are several things that make Winter specific tire's superior to all seasons.

The one main thing that gives winter tires more performance is the ability to stay ply-able in very cold conditions 30 degrees and colder. This gives the tire the ability to stop and steering were as an all season will harden up and not be very ply-able so then you are dependent on the tread design. To disperse water slush and snow from them.

The aggressive winter tread patterns also help with dispersing water slush and snow away from the tire preventing hydroplaning or under steer conditions.

Also look into as the tire wears alot of manufacturers as the tire wears becomes just an all season tire and the ablilty to stay a winter specific tire goes away which will result in longer stopping distance and the steering goes away so when you turn the steering wheel the vehicle will continue on it straight path.

Hope this helps out
Sincerely
Scott

#13 ·
Anything more than 12-15” of snow, you’ll be dragging the front underside of the TH, regardless of what tires you have.

The all seasons new are a surprising tire in the snow, I will say that also. That said, now that I have 15k miles on them, things are not the same as last year for me with them. Quite a bit slipping and sliding last week, which I attributed to the tread wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
In my opinion, the Pirelli Winter Scorpions are the best way to go. They are a little pricey, but for the power and torque of our GC Trackhawks, having have a good snow tire is well worth the piece of mind when you are on the roads. I feel very confident on ice and snow with these tires. This will be my third set, and I love them.

#19 ·
I was curious as to the speed and load rating of your Blizzaks. Many aggressively patterned tires will not meet the specs required for the vehicle and should not be driven to the capability of the Trackhawk, both in terms of driving attributes (speed, cornering, braking, etc.) as well as towing capacity. This is generally an issue during the spring on those warm days prior to switching out to proper summer shoes.

#28 ·
I'm reviving this thread as our new TH has the 3-season Pirellis. The tread pattern looks aggressive enough for winter driving. We get snow here but the streets are generally always clear so we aren't dealing with deep snow....just cold temps. Has anyone driven in light snow and cold temps on these tires?

#30 ·
Because you don't deal with much depth of snow you don't need snow tires. However, because of the cold temps and the possibility of icy conditions you will need winter tires. Winter tires do not have very aggressive tread depth, but they are made of a softer compound and have many sipes (thin slits) which help to grab in the cold. Winter tires are also much quieter than snow tires which is nice. The 3 season tires are okay down to about 7C or 45F. After that you would probably benefit from a softer compound. If your temps stay above -10C or 14F you could even consider getting all seasons and just taking it easy when it's in the temps below freezing. Cheers from the great white north.

#34 ·
Just curious if you have any pics of the installed splash guards as well as a link to the specific splash guards?
It would have been nice to see a factory option or enhanced factory wheel flares to minimize the dashing of our paint, but, it looks like the aftermarket may be the only choice at this point.

#35 ·
I'm running a set of Bridgestone DMV2 on factory reproduction wheels. When I was shopping for them last February, the 285/50R20 wasn't available so I went with 275/50R20. Speedo is almost identical to stock.

I did run studded Nokian tires for about two weeks. I'm in central Ohio so I really didn't need them, but I felt like being prepared for the worst. Sadly, they were exrremely loud and started to scratch my garage floor and make my driveway "clean" where I parked it.

**EDIT** Looks like I'm too new to post links. When my post count comes back up I'll post some links to my OneDrive Album.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.