Jeep Trackhawk Forum banner

Drivers side catch can & UPR

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  OverKill 
#1 · (Edited)
End of November last year i installed a UPR catch can, they are local for me so i just swung by and picked it up, it was a quick and easy install. About a month ago i had a little issue with an O ring so i went by to have it checked out and one of the techs “Joe” in no time had it diagnosed and fixed, great company and great people, and at the same time while we were shooting the bull he looked over all of the hoses and fittings and disconnected the hose going into the intake tube and notice an oil sheen, residue and he suggested a catch can for the drivers side, we got talking about oils and which one i used and suggested Royal Purple as that oils vapor/mist, according to Joe, doesn’t ignite like others may. I didn’t think much of it until i saw the video Lil Hemi posted about LSPI and also saw the condition of my throttle body and intake snout of my supercharger when i took it off to install the DDR spacer and CAI, the throttle plate had a few speckles of oil on it and the body a little bit of soot around the edges, the SC’s intake snout also had some soot and a bit of that oil sheen/residue so i imagine the oil vapor or mist mixing in and messing with octane and combustion. In hind site i should have taken some pics but but forgot, just went straight to cleaning the TB and snout, i did take a pic of the rag though lol, so Friday i went to UPR and took Joe up on getting me a drivers side catch can, awesome engineering and install. Apparently you must keep the hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake tube as short as possible, hence the catch can placed as close as possible to the valve cover, this oil line has an in line sensor measuring pressure? Flow? Or combination and if the hose is to long it alters the sampling rate and triggers a MIL light.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes Sir it’s on, i don’t expect it to catch much oil if any but I do think it will keep the throttle body clean as well as the supercharger snout clean by separating any minute amount of oil that mixes with the air flow coming out of the port side valve cover hose to the intake tube, i do expect to see the catch can with a sheen of oil on it’s wall and the hose and fitting going into the intake tube dry and my throttle body and supercharger snout clean. I’ll be doing my white glove test in a couple of months (about 5000 miles) I’m curious to see the outcome.

Reactions: OverKill
#4 ·
I also noticed oil residue on my TB coming from my driver’s side when I put my CAI on, that I just wiped off. I also considered putting a catch can on as there is clearly some oil vapor making its way through on the driver’s side. Not even close to as much as the passenger side, but enough that I don’t want it collecting in the SC.

When I dumped my catch can during my oil change, it looked like peanut butter. It was very thick and foamy (sorry I should have taken a picture). It was so thick that it didn’t want to all dump out and it had to be wiped out with a rag. I for one am so glad I have the catch can to prevent that crap from going into the intake!

#6 · (Edited)
Well I got done some of the testing on the dyno that I offered to do for the folks at DDR Kuwait, needed to do some more testing and dyno runs but the dyno decided to take a break so while I wait for Mustang Dyno techs to fix the dyno I went back to the stock intake box set up and the UPR catch can also fits perfectly with the stock setup, during the testing and runs I removed the intake system components multiple times and although it’s still to early to tell everything was clean and dry and oil residue free.

#8 ·
Hi X Pilot,

Have you looked inside of the driver’s side catch can yet? It might take a thousand miles for anything to show up, but at least you will know it didn’t make it into the intake.

Did you also get your valve cover breather from UPR? I need to contact them to find out how to order just the catch can for the driver’s side in black. I have a BT black catch can on the passenger side, but I don’t feel like waiting for months for it to get here...

#7 ·
Thanks guys, I've been trying to determine if it's worth anything to install a catch can on my TH, and I can see it is.

Many years ago, I rigged one up on my old hot rodded Mustang 5.0, because it wouldn't pass smog, and I figured there was a lot of oil vapor going into the combustion chambers. Once the can was in place, it seemed to run better AND it passed the smog sniffer. Sweet!

#9 ·
Haven’t looked in the drivers side catch can yet but on my next oil change I will, i do pull the hose from the catch can to the intake tube on the intake side every once in a while since it’s so easy an accessible and so far it’s dry and no oil shine. Yes I got the valve cover breather from UPR it’s a good part with internal ball bearing valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.