Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a mod we can do to prevent the daytime running lights from turning off when the blinkers are used? I know this applies to all FCA products, but I thought I would ask here. I performed a wire harness mod that I got from another SRT forum member on my 2015 SRT that turned on the headlight LEDS along with the ones on the bumpers and they didn’t shut off when the blinkers were on. I am not sure if that same mod would work on the 2018 models though. Has anyone tried?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
FYI, They don't officially support the 2018 model Jeeps on the Tazer yet (coming soon) PLUS you have to get the "Double Bypass" and wire into the Star module rather than direct connect to the OBD2 under the dash...

With that said, I do think its a better option than hard wiring them on and the Tazer will add other functionality and options as well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you can purchase a Zautotech Tazer which allows you to do a DRL drop.
FYI, They don't officially support the 2018 model Jeeps on the Tazer yet (coming soon) PLUS you have to get the "Double Bypass" and wire into the Star module rather than direct connect to the OBD2 under the dash...

With that said, I do think its a better option than hard wiring them on and the Tazer will add other functionality and options as well.
Thank you, This is awesome! I didn’t realize there was a plug-n-play device like this. It looks like there can be some custom profiles created that I would assume could be configured to leave the DRL’s on while the blinkers are also on. That is my goal after all.

Now, we just have to wait until they have them available for our 2018 Jeeps…

Thanks again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did it on my 2017 - I have the tazer and just got the double bypass this week
Waiting for the "how to" to be posted on the z automotive site

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Just FYI,
If anyone is looking for a “hardwired” solution that looks OEM, the same wire harness that works on the WK2 Jeeps with the DRL’s will also work on our Track Hawks since there has not been any changes to the wire harness for 2018 models. If you are like me, and think the DRL’s should not turn off when the blinkers are used, this is the solution and IMO how it should have come from the factory.

Here is a link to how the harness goes in:

You can make your own harness with a relay, or order one ready for install for $50 (includes shipping) from CLSTech (forum member on the cherokeesrt8 forum). You can head over there and PM him, or I can provide his email address if you are interested just PM me. No, I am not getting any kickbacks from this, and it is very easy to install and only takes about 15 min.
There is no wire cutting, and it is fully reversible and undetectable should any warranty work need to be done down the road. Upon install you can select (by the wire you tap) if you want the DRL ribbons to dim automatically when the headlights or the parking lights are turned on.

I just ordered my second kit from CLStech because I traded in my 2015 SRT with it installed and I didn’t want to mess with taking it out at the dealer. They were watching me like a hawk when I got my stuff out of it as it was…. I guess they thought I was going to take the custom “SRT” floor mats or something.

This has not discouraged me from getting a Zautotech Tazer (when they are available) because of the additional features it has.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did mine tonight with my old tazer and new double bypass. I used the star connections under the dash and wired the power to the battery jump start connectors under the hood. Turned off the DRL dip and removed everything from the car. Took me about a half an hour.

Reactions: Daniel454

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did mine tonight with my old tazer and new double bypass. I used the star connections under the dash and wired the power to the battery jump start connectors under the hood. Turned off the DRL dip and removed everything from the car. Took me about a half an hour.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the update. Z-Automotive website still shows the Tazer is not available yet for 2018 model years. It is good to know the one you have from your 2017 works. Do you remove the Tazer from your OBD II port whenever you take your Jeep in for service?

What features do you like the best about the Tazer for our Jeeps?

I did the hardwire install that I mentioned above and it works great. I guess the advantage for the hardwire solution is cost and there is nothing to remove if you take it to the dealership for service (should they need to plug into the OBD port to diagnose something).

On a side note, I have a DashLogic (similar to the Tazer) plugged into my OBD port on my ZR1 and sometimes there are bug or glitches that cause my heads-up display to turn off and back on, or flicker at times. If I unplug it, it all goes back to normal but defeats the purpose of having it. Have you noticed any glitches like this with the Tazer since you have had it? I really like the features the Tazer has to offer and will get one for the increase in functionality. I guess I need to email Z-Automotive and ask when they will be available for the 2018 models.

Thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the update. Z-Automotive website still shows the Tazer is not available yet for 2018 model years. It is good to know the one you have from your 2017 works. Do you remove the Tazer from your OBD II port whenever you take your Jeep in for service?

What features do you like the best about the Tazer for our Jeeps?

I did the hardwire install that I mentioned above and it works great. I guess the advantage for the hardwire solution is cost and there is nothing to remove if you take it to the dealership for service (should they need to plug into the OBD port to diagnose something).

On a side note, I have a DashLogic (similar to the Tazer) plugged into my OBD port on my ZR1 and sometimes there are bug or glitches that cause my heads-up display to turn off and back on, or flicker at times. If I unplug it, it all goes back to normal but defeats the purpose of having it. Have you noticed any glitches like this with the Tazer since you have had it? I really like the features the Tazer has to offer and will get one for the increase in functionality. I guess I need to email Z-Automotive and ask when they will be available for the 2018 models.

Thank you.
You can’t just plug the tazer in the obd port on the 2018. That’s the reason for the bypass. Z automotive is not recommending the double bypass for our Jeeps as they say it’s a pain in the ass to install. If you look at their instructions for the double bypass it’s for the cars that have access to the star box in the trunk. Easy access. Our Jeeps its behind the dash. You have to remove the drivers side a pillar cover and pop out the headlight switch to access the star. It’s not easy to plug in the connections to the star. I had to use long needle nose pliers. I also temporarily ran power to the battery to let me change what I wanted then took everything off. If you look at the z automotive instructions for the tazer as well it will make more sense what I am saying.

As far as glitches I had my valentine one getting power off the obd port it worked but messed up the Uconnect. So I hard wired it to the mirror.

It’s obvious FCA doesn’t want anything plugged into the obd but FCA stuff

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can’t just plug the tazer in the obd port on the 2018. That’s the reason for the bypass. Z automotive is not recommending the double bypass for our Jeeps as they say it’s a pain in the ass to install. If you look at their instructions for the double bypass it’s for the cars that have access to the star box in the trunk. Easy access. Our Jeeps its behind the dash. You have to remove the drivers side a pillar cover and pop out the headlight switch to access the star. It’s not easy to plug in the connections to the star. I had to use long needle nose pliers. I also temporarily ran power to the battery to let me change what I wanted then took everything off. If you look at the z automotive instructions for the tazer as well it will make more sense what I am saying.

As far as glitches I had my valentine one getting power off the obd port it worked but messed up the Uconnect. So I hard wired it to the mirror.

It’s obvious FCA doesn’t want anything plugged into the obd but FCA stuff
Thank you Mike.

That sounds like a lot of additional effort for the 2018 Jeeps, and I can see why Z-Automotive is not listing them for our models on their site. I looked at the bypass module instructions and I get what you are saying now. It basically is a remote extension of the OBD port and it is easy to get to the star box when it is located in the trunk on everything but the 2018 Jeeps.

You said after you got it hooked up and made your changes you took everything off. I was under the impression that the Tazer had to stay connected for the changes to remain in effect, like when cycling thru the different light configurations with the remote key fob.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you Mike.

That sounds like a lot of additional effort for the 2018 Jeeps, and I can see why Z-Automotive is not listing them for our models on their site. I looked at the bypass module instructions and I get what you are saying now. It basically is a remote extension of the OBD port and it is easy to get to the star box when it is located in the trunk on everything but the 2018 Jeeps.

You said after you got it hooked up and made your changes you took everything off. I was under the impression that the Tazer had to stay connected for the changes to remain in effect, like when cycling thru the different light configurations with the remote key fob.
Yes certain functions require it to be connected. Ie light show, in motion navigation address entering but some you can change and disconnect and the changes stay. Ie drl drop set to off. I see on another thread the security module bypass has been located at the passenger foot well under the courtesy light panel. You can just plug in the z automotive single bypass t that and use the factory obd 2 port. I will probably pick one of those up eventually

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes certain functions require it to be connected. Ie light show, in motion navigation address entering but some you can change and disconnect and the changes stay. Ie drl drop set to off. I see on another thread the security module bypass has been located at the passenger foot well under the courtesy light panel. You can just plug in the z automotive single bypass t that and use the factory obd 2 port. I will probably pick one of those up eventually
Ok. Thank you Mike for clarifying. Access to the passenger foot well seems a lot easier to me. Do you happen to have a link to the thread this is on?
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok. Thank you Mike for clarifying. Access to the passenger foot well seems a lot easier to me. Do you happen to have a link to the thread this is on?
Thanks again for your help.
It’s on the Jeep garage trackhawk forum

1 - 16 of 16 Posts