Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing to have my soon-to-arrive 2021 TrackHawk PPF wrapped. The installer indicated that THs might now have a factory-applied protective film applied in that horrible rock chip area in front of the rear wheels. When I asked the dealer rep, he replied, "I believe that is true." This is the first I've heard of this. Can anyone with a newer TH confirm?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 18 has it

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have it on my 2020 - honestly, mine has turned white rather quickly - may want to have your PPF person see if they can remove the stock film and put a higher quality one on there - just an idea

·
Registered
53 Posts
My PPF installer removed the factory PPF (which is next to useless) and installed xpel PFF. My factory PPF was already bubbling when I drove it off the lot so it would not have lasted long.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I strongly recommend the front facia getting covered with PPF, it takes a whooping. I had a black 15 SRT and didn't do the PPF the face was all pitted chipped etc it was bad... looked like a teenager with awful acne. Have it done on day 1. The rear fender flairs absolutely need it also this is the tapped on flairs around the rear wheel well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I strongly recommend the front facia getting covered with PPF, it takes a whooping. I had a black 15 SRT and didn't do the PPF the face was all pitted chipped etc it was bad... looked like a teenager with awful acne. Have it done on day 1. The rear fender flairs absolutely need it also this is the tapped on flairs around the rear wheel well.
Can you good folks provide insight on what locations you would install PPF? I too am awaiting a 2021 and the dealer has ceramic coating options (Ceramic Pro) as well as PPF.
Thx

·
Registered
53 Posts
Can you good folks provide insight on what locations you would install PPF? I too am awaiting a 2021 and the dealer has ceramic coating options (Ceramic Pro) as well as PPF.
Thx
look at the front of the vehicle, anywhere you can see paint - get PPF installed. I had my entire hood, front fascia, headlights, front fenders, rocker panels, A pillars, partial roof, front mirror caps, rear quarter panels, and the rear fascia right behind the rear wheels. Then I had the car ceramic coated. I had PPF installed as soon as I took delivery of the vehicle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx
Here is my anticipated order:

Paint Protection Film
Full Hood, Fender, Mirror - $1,330
Front Bumper - $660
Center Grille Insert - $110 (except narrow vertical strips due to low adhesion area)
A-Pillar, Leading edge of roof - $180
Rocker Panels - $565
Rear Wheel Impact area - $205
Wear & Tear - $80
Total PPF Cost (as above) - $3,130

Ceramic Coating
(Paint/PPF + Wheels Off + Glass/Trim) - $1800

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is my anticipated order:

Paint Protection Film
Full Hood, Fender, Mirror - $1,330
Front Bumper - $660
Center Grille Insert - $110 (except narrow vertical strips due to low adhesion area)
A-Pillar, Leading edge of roof - $180
Rocker Panels - $565
Rear Wheel Impact area - $205
Wear & Tear - $80
Total PPF Cost (as above) - $3,130

Ceramic Coating
(Paint/PPF + Wheels Off + Glass/Trim) - $1800
Wouldn't the cost of all that go a long way towards painting the chipped areas, years down the line?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's certainly something I considered.

My reasoning is that XPEL PPF is a well regarded self-healing product that lasts a long time. With PPF, my paint should always look good instead of degrading from chips for many years and then looking fresh after a respray for a short period. Additionally, assuming paint correction can't fix future chips in unprotected paint, resprays are very expensive. For example, my Cayenne rear bumper in non-metallic white was $1000 for a respray. Plus, resprays never match faded paint, and it is even worse for metallics. Finally, as the PPF degrades or gets dinged, I can just replace sections for a low cost. So, for an expensive vehicle I plan on keeping for 5+ years, PPF makes sense for me.

The ceramic is just to keep it looking slick and clean. Illinois road construction and winters are not helpful.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wouldn't the cost of all that go a long way towards painting the chipped areas, years down the line?
After 5 years, I doubt the resprayed areas would match the factory paint. Meanwhile, the areas that have PPF installed are chip and scratch-free. Also, you’d need to leave your car at the body shop and let them disassemble/reassemble it for paint. After you leave the paint shop, you’d just end up getting rock chips again. It’s a decent up front charge but well worth it in the end. Also, it’s not like these cars are cheap. What is an extra $3K? Tax Alone on the car is more than that…

·
Registered
17 Posts
After 5 years, I doubt the resprayed areas would match the factory paint. Meanwhile, the areas that have PPF installed are chip and scratch-free. Also, you’d need to leave your car at the body shop and let them disassemble/reassemble it for paint. After you leave the paint shop, you’d just end up getting rock chips again. It’s a decent up front charge but well worth it in the end. Also, it’s not like these cars are cheap. What is an extra $3K? Tax Alone on the car is more than that…
All very valid considerations.
I guess my use/location is rather different. We live in No. Nevada, and winter in Las Vegas. Road conditions are mostly benign. None of my cars get a lot of mileage per year, but I do keep them for a lot of years; still use our daily driver/towed car, 2005 Jeep Liberty bought new; still have our 2004 Chev Avalanche bot new (just had a Magnuson supercharger installed, dyno'd before & after); and the 2020 TH ordered a week before Covid shutdowns, and delivered about 5 months later :oops: Also our Jeep Wrangler 1997 used for off road, owned since about 2003 and also equipped with a Boosted Technologies blower. None of these have a lot of mileage; our Marathon coach does have xpel on the front cap below the windshield, and that film has absorbed some good gravel shots. We have taken that vehicle, as well as the Avalanche, coast to coast more than once. The cars likely should have xpel on the front, just haven't done it.
Does anyone know of a good application shop in the Reno/Carson City area ? Or maybe Las Vegas?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts