Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been noticing that the handling was getting sloppy on transitions where there was non-commanded motion either after initial steering input or on irregular surfaces (almost like when the lane keeping "nudges" the wheel). Was getting worse. Then started getting a speed sensitive "clicking" noise when making right turns, the harder the turn, the louder the clicking.

Dealer try #1 was an alignment, followed by the "that's normal" BS. Went at them again and the tech found 1/4" of play in the left rear at the rotor (tire off, grab both sides of rotor and try and move it pushing in on one side and pulling on the other side back and forth, there should be none). Diagnosed as a defective wheel bearing. No parts available, TH will be down for 6-7 days, dealer providing a loaner GC for the duration.

Worth a check next time you have your TH up in the air...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Been noticing that the handling was getting sloppy on transitions where there was non-commanded motion either after initial steering input or on irregular surfaces (almost like when the lane keeping "nudges" the wheel). Was getting worse. Then started getting a speed sensitive "clicking" noise when making right turns, the harder the turn, the louder the clicking.

Dealer try #1 was an alignment, followed by the "that's normal" BS. Went at them again and the tech found 1/4" of play in the left rear at the rotor (tire off, grab both sides of rotor and try and move it pushing in on one side and pulling on the other side back and forth, there should be none). Diagnosed as a defective wheel bearing. No parts available, TH will be down for 6-7 days, dealer providing a loaner GC for the duration.

Thanks for the tip. How many miles are on your Trackhawk?

·
Registered
70 Posts

Interesting! I have the clicking noise on my right turns. It started recently. Have to get them to check mine. Good to hear that you found the issue and much appreciated that you posted about it. What is the build date for your Jeep? I'm wondering if this is a problem now that will be coming up for others.

Thx again!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a touch over 26K. In service date was July '18. Not sure on the build date, will have a look at the door panel when I get it back

·
Registered
258 Posts
seems common then.. on my first oil change ill address .. another 2200 miles. no matter what its covered so nothing to lose sleep over im guessing?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/is-it-safe-to-drive-with-a-damaged-wheel-bearing

Drove mine for a couple of weeks before taking it in the 2nd time, not realizing what it was; I noticed it in the handling before I heard any clicking. It is a safety item, however if you want some piece of mind throw a jack under it at home and see if you can "wobble" one or both of the rears if you're thinking of "riding it out" until the next service...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Driver's side rear bearing on my TH went bad. Vehicle has about 22K on it. I had the TH in the air and noticed the movement/wobble when I grabbed that rear wheel. Not sure I noticed any other issues while driving that haven't already been mentioned. My TH had the "knocking" sound very early on, it's gone now, not sure I can 100% say it was that bearing as this is not my DD. Good for people to check when they have the TH's in the air.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For those of you with a clicking noise and no other symptoms of a bad wheel bearing, there's one other thing to check. Take a close look at your front calipers and wheel weights to see if you've had any contact between the two. There's at least one person here this has happened to (pictures at post 18, more details starting at post 22). I'm curious if it's a one off or more wide spread:

https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/41-wheels-tires/4930-wheel-weights-2.html

Crossposting since the threads are in different sub forums so easy to miss...

·
Registered
70 Posts
For those of you with a clicking noise and no other symptoms of a bad wheel bearing, there's one other thing to check. Take a close look at your front calipers and wheel weights to see if you've had any contact between the two. There's at least one person here this has happened to (pictures at post 18, more details starting at post 22). I'm curious if it's a one off or more wide spread:

https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/41-wheels-tires/4930-wheel-weights-2.html

Crossposting since the threads are in different sub forums so easy to miss...
This is also a good point to check. I remember this happened on one of my other SRTs previously as well. Have jacked this one up yet but will definitely be doing this by next weekend.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For those of you with a clicking noise and no other symptoms of a bad wheel bearing, there's one other thing to check. Take a close look at your front calipers and wheel weights to see if you've had any contact between the two.

<snip>
The caliper/wheel weight "click" will be a constant click, not one that's turn sensitive like the wheel bearing

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting! I have the clicking noise on my right turns. It started recently. Have to get them to check mine. Good to hear that you found the issue and much appreciated that you posted about it. What is the build date for your Jeep? I'm wondering if this is a problem now that will be coming up for others.

Thx again!
Build date on mine is 2-18

·
Registered
70 Posts
Build date on mine is 2-18
Well....looks like I had the head of a nail in my tire as I noticed it when I took it off to clean the calipers.

Looks like the problem is solved. Had it patched and fixed and no more noise. Still, going to keep an eye on that wheel bearing. None of mine were moving with any play when I checked each one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is this something like you had? I’m trying to diagnose a clunk I have had since early on and has gotten worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you can move the wheel side to side, it's the wheel bearing.

This is often obvious: just put it on a lift, grab the bottom of the tire and see if there is any side to side play. A lot of play = bad.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had noticed the clicking came back when turning. I pulled off all 4 wheels and checked my bearings and they are all good. I did notice a a thin pile of rust, rail dust or scale in between the wheel and where it mounts to the rotor. I picked up one of the 3M roloc wheels and cleaned up all of the hubs and where the wheel surface mounts to the hub. No more noise. Strange but true.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts