Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beyond pissed I bought this vehicle. It's the most expensive and by far the WORST experience of my life.

For starters, they're terrible quality with no attention to detail. Also when anything goes wrong FCA will not help you. And if something goes wrong that could make it a lemon they actively block it so you can't lemon it.

I've had 6 interior rattles and have 2 more (can't find other 2)
My drivers door doesn't close properly (maxed out adjustment)
My transmission shifts extremely badly over 180f (feels like a 16yo learning stick. No CEL so FCA won't approve repair)
My upshifter paddle downshifts (STAR "resolution" is to hold the paddle more than 1s. Does not work, still downshifts. Won't approve repair)
My rear bumper corner was sticking out due to a broken clip from the factory (common on wk2 apparently)
My fender flare was falling off (common on wk2 apparently and replacement has ¼" gap)

It's spent over 30 business days in the shop and is still broken.

FCA tells me to bring it back in.

FCA tells the dealer they can't repair it.

Rinse. Repeat.

THIS BODY STYLE HAS BEEN OUT FOR 9 YEARS!!!!!!!!

Anyone who wants quality knows better. Anyone who gives them benefit of the doubt loses.

I hope GM, Ford, VW, Toyota, Subaru, or literally anyone else will make an ad campaign out of this, although I do realize that's highly unlikely and not realistic.

I don't know how anyone could ever recommend FCA to a friend after an experience like this....unless you really hate that person.

Merry F'n Christmas FCA!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I hope GM, Ford, VW, Toyota, Subaru, or literally anyone else will make an ad campaign out of this, although I do realize that's highly unlikely and not realistic.
I actually Googled "Fastest SUVs" before deciding on the Trackhawk.

Would you believe that none of the makes you mention were on the list? Yes, there were obviously other quick ones, but I don't won't an Alfa Romeo, for example, and a Bentley would be a bit expensive.

Besides, the other five FCA vehicles we have are just fine. So far, anyway. I can only hope that the Trackhawk won't be too bad, but know that it's not being built in Brampton or Saltillo.
My domestically built Ram 1500 has some quality control issues, though, so I'm prepared.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear that you got so many problems with yours, and hope it gets resolved.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ouch. The paddle problem (if repeatable in front of a service manager) should absolutely be covered and if not, warrant a lawsuit.

·
Registered
573 Posts
FCA won't allow them to attempt repair as it's a design flaw.

It’s not a unheard of issue with hellcats.

I never paid enough attention to the conversations about it, but I’m pretty sure others have had it corrected.

Edit: there isn’t a fix for it. Consensus is it’s a switch in paddle problem and swapping out won’t fix it.

Letter from FCA of you haven’t seen it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FCA won't allow them to attempt repair as it's a design flaw.

It’s not a unheard of issue with hellcats.

I never paid enough attention to the conversations about it, but I’m pretty sure others have had it corrected.

Edit: there isn’t a fix for it. Consensus is it’s a switch in paddle problem and swapping out won’t fix it.

Letter from FCA of you haven’t seen it

This. The fix is to hold it for 1s, yet if you do that it quits manual mode OR if it messes up it will still downshift.

The Director of Service at the dealer confirmed with me.

FCA is blocking repair attempts. They are doing this so we can't lemon it as it only counts if an attempt to repair was made.

I'm bringing this up through every avenue I can as I paid for a quality vehicle that does not function as intended. As far as I'm concerned it's a breach of contract and they've wasted my time and money- along with anyone else who has this issue.

·
Registered
573 Posts
This sucks sorry to hear it. My question would be how is it not a paddle problem in your particular vehicle?

I’m driving right now as I type this post and I can’t get it to downshift with even the slightest half second flick of a paddle

I would have to believe it’s just a defective contact in the paddle switch.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I’ve been pretty disappointed with FCA as well. Nothing too major, just an overall sh*ttyness about them. Doubt I’ll buy another in the future.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This sucks sorry to hear it. My question would be how is it not a paddle problem in your particular vehicle?

I’m driving right now as I type this post and I can’t get it to downshift with even the slightest half second flick of a paddle

I would have to believe it’s just a defective contact in the paddle switch.

Beats me!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve been pretty disappointed with FCA as well. Nothing too major, just an overall sh*ttyness about them. Doubt I’ll buy another in the future.
Amen to that. If you're lucky and have no issues you're good. But Lord help you if anything goes wrong with your vehicle. FCA does not care...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Man that sucks. I have not had issues but it sounds like your situation is exactly what the lemon law was designed for. I definitely traded off body and finish quality for the motor and trans...so if you aren't getting those, get out. I had recently caught up on the hellcat shift issue and various people reported improvement after the shifter replacement even though it was accompanied by the "there is nothing wrong with it." I thought SRT had a dedicated support as well for fails like this 855-SRT-TEAM.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man that sucks. I have not had issues but it sounds like your situation is exactly what the lemon law was designed for. I definitely traded off body and finish quality for the motor and trans...so if you aren't getting those, get out. I had recently caught up on the hellcat shift issue and various people reported improvement after the shifter replacement even though it was accompanied by the "there is nothing wrong with it." I thought SRT had a dedicated support as well for fails like this 855-SRT-TEAM.
Exactly what it's made for and they know exactly how to block it. Should be illegal as they're blocking a customer protection from them breaching their contract in the first place.

Either way update for today...add another thing to the list! Passenger door rattles especially when playing bass heavy music with any kicks.

FUN! Right?!?!

I want out but I'm not taking a 20k hit because FCA can't get their **** together and help a customer out with one of their most expensive vehicles they sell.

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
Your experience greatly varies from dealer to dealer. Honestly, that's why I do almost all of my own work even while under warranty if it isn't too expensive as finding a good dealer tech is difficult. And good not just in their work but in how they write up the issues and work with FCA. Bonus if the service writer is also on your side.

Unfortunately once one dealer brings in FCA and they open a case, it gets even more difficult to switch to others to get a better experience. I would still try it though.

Thankfully I did finally find a good one and IF I decide to take it in, I know he will treat it like his own and fix it right the first time.

On the paddle issue, the problem is how the paddle is engineered.

Both paddles are on the same circuit. Gone are the days that every button gets its own dedicated wire output. Instead the computer sends out a signal to both and depending on the resistance in the switch, the voltage return changes and the computer interprets it accordingly.

Where this can have issues is that resistors have varied tolerances built in. Meaning, they may be shooting for 100K of resistance but by the way they are made, it could be anywhere from 85K to 115K (or greater). Getting resistors with tighter tolerances cost more money.

If they engineer the circuit with the two switches target resistances too close to each other, then the computer can mis-read one switch and think its the other as its closer to that target.

As said in the bulletin, too quick of a press can affect this as well as it furthers the issue in the return voltage but yes, the real culprit is a switch that is too far from goal.

The reason they dont want to have it replaced is because the next one could be the same. Bottom line, the engineering is the cause, they either needed to give a wider range between the two switches or they needed to spend the money on tighter tolerance resistors.

FWIW, they had a similar issues on the variable wiper arms for the first 2 years of the LX platform (300C / Charger / Magnum). Setting two on the stalk would be read as FULL on. Eventually it was widespread enough they put out an updated part with a tighter tolerance resistor in that setting.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Daniel454, thanks for the thorough explanation.

Mine hasn't had the problem, but it's good to know what's up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE:
FCA closed my case on me..... again. My issues still exist yet because FCA wants to keep their average open case age down I have to suffer the consequences Andre explain everything all over again to yet another person.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They closed mine too and didn’t even bother to address it.
And that's exactly what they want. Today my sunroof started creaking really really loud every time I give it gas or go over uneven slopes or bumps. This has been the worst experience of anything I've ever bought...ever.

·
Registered
573 Posts
And that's exactly what they want. Today my sunroof started creaking really really loud every time I give it gas or go over uneven slopes or bumps. This has been the worst experience of anything I've ever bought...ever.

My $100k MB did the same in cold weather.
Exact reason I ordered my TH without one.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts