Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out if it is possible to flat tow my Trackhawk behind my RV from our home in Arizona to Montana next summer. Not sure how to get the TH drivetrain into a towing condition or what supplemental braking system to use. Any help or experience in this area would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
350 Posts
Trying to figure out if it is possible to flat tow my Trackhawk behind my RV from our home in Arizona to Montana next summer. Not sure how to get the TH drivetrain into a towing condition or what supplemental braking system to use. Any help or experience in this area would be appreciated.
Don't know how you would get transfer case to neutral, no way to shift. Just buy aluminum trailer to load it on, less wear and tear, or rent U haul trailer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trailer is an option, but not an inexpensive one plus I have no easy way to store it at my Montana location. I did check out U haul auto transport trailer but their maximum weight limit is about 5000 lbs so they will not allow me to rent one for moving the TH. I find it interesting that the TH does not have the neutral button that the other Grand Cherokee 4WDs have.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
350 Posts
The trailer is an option, but not an inexpensive one plus I have no easy way to store it at my Montana location. I did check out U haul auto transport trailer but their maximum weight limit is about 5000 lbs so they will not allow me to rent one for moving the TH. I find it interesting that the TH does not have the neutral button that the other Grand Cherokee 4WDs have.
2 speed case, low & high with a neutral

·
Registered
'18 Rhino | Red Laguna
140 Posts
Found this on etrailer.com

There are no distance or speed limitations when flat towing the 2014-2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee. However, note that only 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokees with Quadra-Trac II/Quadra-Drive II are able to be flat towed. Flat towing a 2WD model or a 4WD model with the Quadra-Trac I (Single-Speed Transfer Case) option will cause damage to your vehicle. Jeep Grand Cherokees model year 2015 and newer must have 4-LO Range. Models without 4-LO Range cannot be flat towed because they do not have a Neutral position in the transfer case.
Looks like the only way to do it would be to remove the driveshafts or flatbed it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
isnt there a way to turn off the front diff electronically? dont tuners like HPP do this when they dyno? I thought mine was done that way. Would that even work for this situation?

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
392 Posts
isnt there a way to turn off the front diff electronically? dont tuners like HPP do this when they dyno? I thought mine was done that way. Would that even work for this situation?
Yes. You can put into RWD only, but means that you still be spinning the center diff and internals of transmission

·
Registered
30 Posts
check your manual in your Truck. It will state it in the Towing Section. Heres what it says

According to the Jeep owner's manual, flat towing your vehicle could damage it in many ways. The manufacturer strongly recommends not flat towing any Jeep Grand Cherokee unless it is a Quadra-Trac I or II or Quadra-Drive II.Jul 6, 2022

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
116 Posts
From what i seen!...I've seen the AWD disengaged...BUT ⚠ caution that should be truly asked to a tech because i cant guarantee that wont destroy the axel but because its no power being put into that movement or weight pressure....it may be safe...please see what fuse takes off awd

·
Registered
31 Posts
It cuts AWD and keeps it RWD, so you will still be spinning the transfer case and parts of transmission internals connected to transfer case
It cuts AWD and keeps it RWD, so you will still be spinning the transfer case and parts of transmission internals connected to transfer case
A possible major problem when flat towing is that the tranny lubrication pump is likely inop. That is a key reason that most car mfrs. state that their cars are not approved for flat towing as is normally done with RV applications.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts