Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... how much oil drained out from the pan and filter?

I changed my oil today for the first time (1300 miles). I do not have the Wave Program deal, and this is a job that is rather simple to do (minus the oil cooler drain) and so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Given some members who have had Hellcat Chargers and Challengers report that there is less than 1/2qt in the oil cooler, I decided to just do the pan and filter. FWIW, the pan on the TH is different (from what I've seen via videos) than the pan on the HC Chally and Charger. The pan on the TH appears to be identical to the 6.4 SRT engine (I had a '15 SRT)...which BTW, holds 7qts max capacity. Same with the filter and its location.

I checked the oil level per the dipstick _before_ pulling the drain plug. It showed middle of the cross-hatch area. I don't know if this means I have burned 1/2 qt or so in my first 1300 miles or not. I haven't checked the oil level prior. But I wanted to see where it was before I drained the pan and pulled the filter.

I discovered that after draining the pan and removing the filter (and allowing the thing to sit level for ~10 mins to get everything out), it had only drained out ~6.5qts.

I cannot imagine the oil cooler in this thing holding nearly 2qts of oil.

Curious as to others' experience who have changed their own oil.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I changed mine including the oil cooler. I didn't check the dipstick before doing so, but I also definitely didn't get 8.4 qt from it total. I did put 8.4 qt in after and it was in the range of full afterward.

What I found most ridiculous was having to drill out metal fasteners to access the oil cooler.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I didn't mess with the cooler because I have heard it doesn't hold more than 6-8oz from guys who have had Hellcat Chally/Chargers and drained theirs. I didn't feel like (at this time) it was worth drilling out the rivets in order to gain access.

There's a guy on the other forum who just bought a TH and is considering using a hole saw to open up the belly pan below the oil cooler drain plug to gain access... I think that would be less wear and tear, as well as easier, on the lower bumper belly pan.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think 6 oz is about right. Definitely not a good return on your time and effort. I put plastic push rivets in for now, but bought some metal racing rivets to replace them and asked for the super duty rivet gun for my birthday so I can put them in at my next oil change.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think 6 oz is about right. Definitely not a good return on your time and effort. I put plastic push rivets in for now, but bought some metal racing rivets to replace them and asked for the super duty rivet gun for my birthday so I can put them in at my next oil change.
Well, if 6 oz is all, then it isn't worth it... but that doesn't explain why I drained out only 6.5 qts.

I filled it with 7.5 (thinking I'd be a little shy of full, given the 6oz estimated in the cooler), but found out I was nearly a qt over-filled. So I drained out some, added a little in order to get back in the middle of the cross-hatch on the stick.

I'm not going to worry about it for now... just wondering if there was a drain plug for the pan I was missing. ;-)

·
Registered
75 Posts
You just reminded me that I did drain a bit off because I was worried about it being too high on the stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone on the "other forum" noted he drained the oil cooler and put back only 7.75qts to full. I know the capacity says 8.4. But given the oil pan is different than the Chally/Charger, and that it appears to be identical to the SRT (which is a 7qt capacity), it makes me wonder a little. That, and the fact a number of guys on the forums are saying that their dealer is overfilling their THs. We know the techs are going by the book and just adding 8.4 without checking anything, 99% of the time.

Reactions: AlaskaMatt

·
Registered
67 Posts
Same findings here - not sure how they figure 8.4 qts. I changed mine last week for the first time, I'm not sure exactly how much came out - but it took 7.5 qts. to get the level in the middle of the cross hatch on the dip stick.

I'm assuming you guys know this but there's a Mopar wholesaler on eBay that has a kit with 8 qts of the Pennzoil Ultra Plat and a SRT filter for $80 - that's an outstanding deal for this oil.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope... didn't know that about the wholesaler beerman. Agreed... that is a good deal!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Glad I said something then! As a newbie to this forum I've just been reading and learning, didn't think I could actually help anyone yet :grin2:

Search for DODGE HELLCAT 6.2L 8QT Full Synthetic Pennzoil Motor Oil & Filter OEM MOPAR - the seller is avondaleautomotive - I bought 3 sets from him and they showed up in 4 days.

·
Registered
599 Posts
It would be great if anyone draining their oil through a filter can give feedback on metal shavings. Although its a bit OCD, I think on a new vehicle its a good thing to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked up my new TH and the oil level on the stick is above the hash marks. I was under the impression that full would be to the top of the hash marks or slightly higher, not the middle as some have mentioned. Maybe I'm missing something? It would seem to me that if it holds 8.4 qts when you empty the oil cooler then 8 qts should be added back on a complete drain and filter change without the cooler being emptied. Wherever it lands on the stick markings should not matter as much as having the correct amount of oil in the crankcase.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My dealer put in 9 quarts. smh I had to drain a little over a 1/2 qt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Same here, dealer did my oil change and checked dipstick this morning. A good inch to inch and half above the hash mark. Wonder how accurate these dipsticks are. I’ve known before some vehicles getting the wrong oil dipsticks. I’m sure they just overfilled it as they charged me for 9 quarts. Probably a quart too much in it. They did drain the separate oil cooler.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same here, dealer did my oil change and checked dipstick this morning. A good inch to inch and half above the hash mark. Wonder how accurate these dipsticks are. I’ve known before some vehicles getting the wrong oil dipsticks. I’m sure they just overfilled it as they charged me for 9 quarts. Probably a quart too much in it. They did drain the separate oil cooler.

This is just unacceptable on both ends... QC is horrendous _if_ the dipstick cannot be read accurately + dealer overfilling nightmares. You would rather run a 1/2qt low (because there is a built-in threshold there) than 1/2-1qt overfilled.

I'm trusting the dipstick. These Hellcat motors have been out for a long time. Dipstick is most certainly the same for all of them, and they can't all be wrong. Dealer/tech error of overfilling/underfilling the crankcase is much easier to consider (but poor, if it is the case).

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is just unacceptable on both ends... QC is horrendous _if_ the dipstick cannot be read accurately + dealer overfilling nightmares. You would rather run a 1/2qt low (because there is a built-in threshold there) than 1/2-1qt overfilled.

I'm trusting the dipstick. These Hellcat motors have been out for a long time. Dipstick is most certainly the same for all of them, and they can't all be wrong. Dealer/tech error of overfilling/underfilling the crankcase is much easier to consider (but poor, if it is the case).

I agree. I took it back today and told them to take some out and make sure it’s not filled above the marks. I’m not wasting my time doing it, they need to make it right.

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
I’d be very surprised if they actually drained the cooler. They did the same to me and I made them change it again and then I sat there and watched them to make sure it got done. The mgr has the Viper guy come over and show the rest how to change the oil. From now on I was promised that only the Viper guy would work on my Jeep.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts