Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Message on dash is telling me to change oil at 6000 mi.
Now I need to decide if I do myself spend time and worry about dealer doing it even though it is (maybe) free.
Also have recalls to do: U44 keyfob and U65 powertrain Control Module.
I figure my keyfob is correct since she has plenty of horses and engine image on display is red.

Tell me if I am missing something but buying oil/filter off of eBay for 80 clams doesn't sound as good as walmart.com Fram PH2 or TG2 or XG2 filter for under $10 and Pennzoil or Castrol or Mobil 0W-40 oil for about $26 for 5 quarts delivered free or pick up at the store.

·
Registered
267 Posts
ok here's what I believe you are "missing"

1. information on the construction of Fram oil filters. they garbage, wrapped in garbage. we've cut open multiple new ones for fun and found rust more than once, they are far and away the lowest quality filter by all metrics and known tests.(youtube it)
2. information on maintaining your warranty. oil needs to be changed at 6 months or 6k miles, whichever comes first. use the manufactures recommended fluid and filter.
3. Information on Oil capacity. it is 8 quarts.
4. the oil changing process. draining the oil cooler is a nightmare but you can leave the oil in there(just the oil cooler) as its only 12-16 oz with lines.
5. common sense. spending a 100k on your car but trying to save 20 bucks by using the lowest grade materials on your Ultra high performance suv seems lacking of common sense. premium car. premium oil. premium filter.

I am by no means telling you not to change the oil, im just saying use the right gear, and keep your receipts to maintain your warranty.
:) happy hawking.

Reactions: Volant165

·
Banned
362 Posts
If you want to stay within recommended specs, you'll need to use an oil that meets Chrysler MS-12633 specifications. Mobil One doesn't make an oil that meets that spec. Pennzoil Ultra 0-40 meets it (that's what I use) and I've read that Amsoil makes an oil that meets it too. For filters, I just buy Mopars exact replacement.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Why wouldn’t you just use the wave program? It’s free. It’s done for you. And it gets put on the Carfax, which helps for resale value. This last point is one that most of you that do this yourselves don’t contemplate in my opinion. I would much rather buy a used high performance vehicle that is well documented to have had its normal maintenance performed, as opposed to the original owner just telling me that he did it himself and showing me receipts for oil and filters. That doesn’t cut it, not with me, nor with many others I’d bet. On the resale market your TH’s aren’t quite as salable.

Plus...if anything goes wrong with your engine that could possibly be blamed on its oil, well it was done by the dealership. So they can’t point the finger at the guy that did the oil change, or failed to do the oil change, cause they did it. Less potential warranty issues as a result.

I really can’t fgure out why the heck anyone would pay to do this themselves when it’s offered for free under the wave program for 2 years.

·
Super Moderator
1,870 Posts
Well, you only get 4 oil changes with the Wave program, 2/year if I’m not mistaken. Not to mention there’s about a 90% chance they will screw up the oil change somehow or argue with you about draining the oil cooler. I say each to their own.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really can’t fgure out why the heck anyone would pay to do this themselves when it’s offered for free under the wave program for 2 years.

I seem to have fewer issues when I do my own maintenance. I asked if they would give me the material only instead of also installing it and they said no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
they overfilled my oil more than a quart. I had the same thoughts as JMS but now I don't.

·
Banned
362 Posts

Forget that I hate and don't trust mtce departments. For me it's a 2+ hour round trip to the nearest dealership. Add to that the wait for the oil change and now I've lost ~1/2 day. I can change it myself at home in 30 mins (max) and I know it's been done right. No worries about using the wrong oil, or having a loose filter or drain plug. I'd much rather pay the difference, save the time and know it's been done right.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Forget that I hate and don't trust mtce departments. For me it's a 2+ hour round trip to the nearest dealership. Add to that the wait for the oil change and now I've lost ~1/2 day. I can change it myself at home in 30 mins (max) and I know it's been done right. No worries about using the wrong oil, or having a loose filter or drain plug. I'd much rather pay the difference, save the time and know it's been done right.
I wouldn’t drive it that far for an oil change either. Jeez, that sucks to be so far from a dealer, for if/when you need them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
... how much oil drained out from the pan and filter?

I changed my oil today for the first time (1300 miles). I do not have the Wave Program deal, and this is a job that is rather simple to do (minus the oil cooler drain) and so I thought I'd give it a shot.
All Trackhawks come with WAVE. May not make a difference to you if your rather avoid the dealership for schedule maintenance, but WAVE is complimentary from FCA (not the dealership) for select Jeep Brand Models. It’s not negotiable, it just comes with a new purchase. Includes two oil changes and two tire rotations for the first two years (4 oil, 4 tire total). I believe Trailhawks also get WAVE.

·
Registered
95 Posts
899 filter is correct or pay more for SRT filter 041

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad I said something then! As a newbie to this forum I've just been reading and learning, didn't think I could actually help anyone yet :grin2:

Search for DODGE HELLCAT 6.2L 8QT Full Synthetic Pennzoil Motor Oil & Filter OEM MOPAR - the seller is avondaleautomotive - I bought 3 sets from him and they showed up in 4 days.
I've bought from them before, good info. Thanks

21 - 36 of 36 Posts