Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about some lightweight aftermarket wheels for my TH. Just not sure if I want to go 22s or stick with the factory size 20s. The performance nut in me says to stick with the 20s... more sidewall should provide better traction from a standing start, and I may lightly mod my TH down the road. 22s look really good on these, however.

My TH is silver and I'm thinking of a gloss gunmetal finish.

Anyway, what are the thoughts from my TH brothers and sisters? Not many tire options at all with the 22s, and no RF options. I just don't want to potentially lose the performance (straight line or handling) by getting away from the factory-derived 20" wheel/tire combo. If there is anyone out there with 22s, please chime in. Thx.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thinking about some lightweight aftermarket wheels for my TH. Just not sure if I want to go 22s or stick with the factory size 20s. The performance nut in me says to stick with the 20s... more sidewall should provide better traction from a standing start, and I may lightly mod my TH down the road. 22s look really good on these, however.

Anyway, what are the thoughts from my TH brothers and sisters? Not many tire options at all with the 22s, and no RF options. I just don't want to potentially lose the performance (straight line or handling) by getting away from the factory-derived 20" wheel/tire combo. If there is anyone out there with 22s, please chime in. Thx.
Stick with 20’s. I think you will get better performance. Plus more sidewall from the tires. If you go 22’s and want to maintain the same tire height you will have to go with a lower profile tire. Not only your performance will sacrifice due to absolutely zero sidewall flex while accelerating, the ride quality will be rougher. Just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan, I agree... I've had the same experience... I was just hoping, I guess, that there might be a differing experience with this particular platform.

The 22s look good, but I am far more about function. OEM engineering uses 20s for a reason. :)

But my gut says you are exactly right. Will be interested to hear if anyone with 22s chimes in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
22 XO's here...LOOKs stunning(imho)-
as for performance...i dont take it to the track or drag strip...but get on it pretty good daily...i am pleased with the performance...
no clue how to post a pic...but if somebody wants to pm me their cell phone #..i'll send some pics their way...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm putting Velgen 22's on mine and will snap a pic tomorrow when I get her back. They do make a simple 5 spoke gunmetal that looks amazing with the silver.
It looks awesome!! It just depends what you are into. I lean a little bit more on the performance side but I still want a little smoother ride when i’m Cruising. If I didn’t lean that way, I would totally do it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Those Velgen’s look better in motion since the wheels look quite naked. Check out the video on their website. I still like the black factory upgrade wheels better, though if I bought one of these off the lot that happened to have the stock wheels on it, that would be my first mod. So to me it depends on which wheels you’re replacing. Share some photos of what you end up going with!

·
Registered
111 Posts

Just curious. What size tires are you guys thinking of running with 22’s?

Is it a 295/35-ZR22 ??

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
305/35-22... same height as stock tires, just 10mm wider.

Reactions: ROCKETW19

·
Registered
264 Posts
Those Velgen’s look better in motion since the wheels look quite naked. Check out the video on their website. I still like the black factory upgrade wheels better, though if I bought one of these off the lot that happened to have the stock wheels on it, that would be my first mod. So to me it depends on which wheels you’re replacing. Share some photos of what you end up going with!
I don't mind the simplistic look. Over the years I've had many wheel variations and I get tired of keeping them clean. With the brake dust the TH gives off, these are very easy to clean and not a lot of surface area for that dust to settle on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Saw a pic of the Velgen 22’s on a Trackhawk that was slightly dropped with Eibach Springs. Curious to see how it looks stock height with the rims. Post a pic if anyone has that setup.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Saw a pic of the Velgen 22’s on a Trackhawk that was slightly dropped with Eibach Springs. Curious to see how it looks stock height with the rims. Post a pic if anyone has that setup.
Good timing as I am installing the Eibach lowering springs Monday. Here is a pic of my TH with Velgen 22's on Pirelli Scorpion 305/35's before lowering.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good timing as I am installing the Eibach lowering springs Monday. Here is a pic of my TH with Velgen 22's on Pirelli Scorpion 305/35's before lowering.
Looks awesome. I’m guessing the springs will drop it about 1 to 1.5 inches?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Got my new Forgeline CF-1s mounted on the TH today. I wanted a 5-spoke in a light smoke color, and am very happy with these. Stock size. Reused the OEM 3-season Pirellis. Only have 6000 miles on them.

The Forgelines weigh 27 pounds each. According to my bathroom scale, the stock cast wheels that I removed are 32 pounds. I swear I can feel the difference in ride quality (it improved slightly) with the lighter wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks really good! I have Forgelines on my ZR1. Fantastic wheels, and extremely high quality.

Which OEM cast wheels did you have? I have the "lightweight" forged black wheels from the factory... wonder what they weigh compared to your new Forgelines? If I'm going to drop $$$$ on Forgelines for this vehicle, I want some performance benefit (lighter weight) along with the good looks. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well, scratch that - the Eibach lowering springs for the SRT did not fit right for the TH. Talking with Eibach, they actually have TH lowering springs now, they are in the final stages of approval and should be ready in 3-4 weeks. Once I have them installed I will post a before/after pic.

·
Registered
502 Posts
WA 2 FST: I just had the standard TH wheels. I purposely got those when ordering the TH because I knew I'd be buying a high-end forged wheel like the Forgelines.

I'm old school...I love a really nice five spoke.

Here's my TH as it looked with the standard wheels.

Attachments

Reactions: WA 2 FST
1 - 20 of 45 Posts