Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over two months of fruitless search..
Basically, my understanding is that you can get a great deal on a leftover 2018 but if you are after a 2019 or 2020, good luck to you.....very very little inventory and dealers simply won't budge from offering only 2-3K off MSRP max, unless the car has a weird color and/or lack some desirable options (for example no sunroof or no upgraded stereo).
I'm ready to fork 88-89K for a TH stickering for 97-98K (my 3 must have options are the upgraded stereo, the sunroof and the full leather package) but no takers, dealers simply won't call you back...
When you find a dealer that has a TH is mostly only one or max two (couple of exceptions on the east coast, one of them is Koons in Virginia), there are simply enough people willing to pay top dollars for these so no reason to negotiate..I lost 3 cars this way, they said no and these Hawks were gone within few weeks.
I laugh when I hear people talking about car sales crisis.....are you kidding?? I called dealers up and down the west coast and all the way to Texas...they simply are not interested, they do not call you back it's like dealing with a Porsche dealer.
I found some "discounted" 2019 or 2020 Trackhawks but when you call, these are cars with several thousands of miles on the odo, used by the sales manager or the dealer's wife...basically used cars.

I always bought my cars for over 10% off MSRP (including my CTS V) and that is not going to change...I'm starting to consider the Germans, for example the GLE 63 AMG...there is inventory in my area and they are willing to negotiate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
look at fox hills jeep in Livonia MI they have had a 2018 in there showroom for years, probably get a good deal?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I totally understand your frustration. It took me over 6 months to find the right truck at the right dealer to make a deal I was comfortable with. Patience and persistence got me through it. I would honestly pass on the upgraded stereo and just take it as a savings to make a better sounding system.

·
Banned
391 Posts

...they simply are not interested, they do not call you back it's like dealing with a Porsche dealer.
Why not order one? Mine took five weeks from when I called to arrival at the dealership, and was about 10% off of MSRP.

And you must be calling the wrong Porsche dealerships. So far the three we've used have been very responsive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not order one? Mine took five weeks from when I called to arrival at the dealership, and was about 10% off of MSRP.

And you must be calling the wrong Porsche dealerships. So far the three we've used have been very responsive.

The only offer for ordering one anywhere close to 10% MSRP (not quite) is on the other side of the country, the funny thing is that local dealers do not even try to match it or getting close...they say, "good luck to you, that is a great deal".....it definitely must be the strong local economy.

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
Basically, my understanding is that you can get a great deal on a leftover 2018 but if you are after a 2019 or 2020, good luck to you.....very very little inventory and dealers simply won't budge from offering only 2-3K off MSRP max, unless the car has a weird color and/or lack some desirable options (for example no sunroof or no upgraded stereo).
I'm ready to fork 88-89K for a TH stickering for 97-98K (my 3 must have options are the upgraded stereo, the sunroof and the full leather package) but no takers, dealers simply won't call you back...
When you find a dealer that has a TH is mostly only one or max two (couple of exceptions on the east coast, one of them is Koons in Virginia), there are simply enough people willing to pay top dollars for these so no reason to negotiate..I lost 3 cars this way, they said no and these Hawks were gone within few weeks.
I laugh when I hear people talking about car sales crisis.....are you kidding?? I called dealers up and down the west coast and all the way to Texas...they simply are not interested, they do not call you back it's like dealing with a Porsche dealer.
I found some "discounted" 2019 or 2020 Trackhawks but when you call, these are cars with several thousands of miles on the odo, used by the sales manager or the dealer's wife...basically used cars.

I always bought my cars for over 10% off MSRP (including my CTS V) and that is not going to change...I'm starting to consider the Germans, for example the GLE 63 AMG...there is inventory in my area and they are willing to negotiate.
we are in 2020 and the 2021 are getting ready to come out. there just isnt that many 2018 left 3 years later. I would guess you missed the 13-15K discount boat. if the 19s are gone also there is no reason for the dealers to discount.
I know its not good for you but Im glad I dont want my 103K dollar soccer mom SUV worth less then a Honda accord.
try not to get caught up in the $ others paid. pay what it is worth to you. either way its a car buy what you want drive it until the next one comes along.

·
Banned
362 Posts
I found the two TH's configured the way I wanted and bought them (a 2018 and a 2019) within a few days of looking. That's including completing the negotiations even with my trade-in(s) on the phone/email before going to the dealership(s). I just looked and there are 4 within 150 miles of my location that are on the dealers lots and 2 more that are in transit. List prices are 93k to 97k. I'm sure there are many more in the "state", just further away. I checked a couple and the websites showed discounts (not much) off the window sticker.... I would think serious buyers should be able to get a little more off.... Personally, "if I found what I wanted" I wouldn't let ~5k or so stop me on a ~100k car. But that's me....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I know its not good for you but Im glad I dont want my 103K dollar soccer mom SUV worth less then a Honda accord.
Try to trade you TH and you will see the results....a Honda Accord will be worth more (in percentage over the price when new) than your TH.

try not to get caught up in the $ others paid. pay what it is worth to you. either way its a car buy what you want drive it until the next one comes along.
10 to 15% off MSRP is my rule, I bought all my cars with these discounts including my 15 Grand Cherokee SRT (when the TH was still not around).
I'm not asking 20 grand off (if people can get it, good for them)

I like the Hawk but not as much as paying close to full price considering these things drop like rocks once you drive them off the lot.

I enjoy new toys but at the same time I work for a living and I try to not piss my money away too easily.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Exactly what everyone else had said it’s worth the money. If you want one grab it and enjoy life.
I found various dealers who had Hawks with the packages I was looking for. I gave them an offer I was willing to pay and just followed up with them about once a week. Finally after about 4 months one broke and accepted my offer so I went and picked it up.
I feel like the TH has not had the publicity that the hellcats got so for 2018 and 2019 general population really didn’t know what a TH was. Hell I even had a couple sales managers not know what one was. They thought I was looking for a trail hawk I had to show them what it was and they had a look of surprise that they had not herd of one let alone understand the price tag.
Fast forward 3 years, now more people know what they are, and are willing to pay top dollar for the beast. All while production is down, and dealers don’t stock them. We went from high supply and no demand to just the opposite in a short (3year) timespan.
I see where your frustrations in finding one in the mid to high 80k range. Although may still be possible. I feel that deal has come and gone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I found the two TH's configured the way I wanted and bought them (a 2018 and a 2019) within a few days of looking.

The only TH with good discounts I can find are the ones with weird/boring colors (flat gray, green) and/or without at least one of my 3 "must have" options (leather package, upgraded stereo and sunroof).....like this white 2019 sold in Costa Mesa CA on sale for 79K (MSRP 96.5K)....no sunroof....who is going to touch it in Southern California with no sunroof?? So they are trying to unload it...I would not be surprised if they let it go for 75K....

According to Autotrader, currently there are almost the same amount of 2018 left than 2019 and 2020 combined on dealer lots.

Anyway, I'm taking a break.....if the right car comes to a local dealer and it does not take off easily I will try to make a deal...maybe end of the year.

Discounts and full employment economy are not good partners....

·
Banned
391 Posts
The only offer for ordering one anywhere close to 10% MSRP (not quite) is on the other side of the country...
What's "the other side of the country" for you?

My preferred local dealer is 450 miles away. No biggie. If it was 4,500 miles I'd be concerned (the car would be wet), but transporters run from coast to coast.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fast forward 3 years, now more people know what they are, and are willing to pay top dollar for the beast. All while production is down, and dealers don’t stock them. We went from high supply and no demand to just the opposite in a short (3year) timespan.
Exactly...supply is just a trickle and dealers do not stock them...I did talk today with a local dealer Sales Manager....they simply do not stock them, the only order one if a customer want one.....occasionally they may stock one at the time.....when supply is that low you eventually find the right customer willing to pay top dollars.

I bet that if the Red Eye comes around, any TH in stock would take a serious beating and dealers would need to heavily discount them to move inventory...when the "wow factor" wears off...same thing happened with he Hellcat, nowadays getting one significantly under invoice is a done deal.

I guess I have to wait for things to cool off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's "the other side of the country" for you?

My preferred local dealer is 450 miles away. No biggie. If it was 4,500 miles I'd be concerned (the car would be wet), but transporters run from coast to coast.

Dealer is in Virginia, I live in WA....literally other side of the country...

·
Banned
391 Posts
So Utah isn't exactly far away from you then.

I've hooked up the trailer twice within a month to get cars from there, and will hopefully go to Colorado and pick up another ordered one next month.
Ordering and getting what you want is really quite easy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OP - you don't like the Rhino or green? Those are the 2 best colors and I would have killed for either!

I ended up with a boring white exterior but with the beautiful sepia alcantara and NO sunroof (saves over 100lbs off the top of the car). Got it for 15% off in Jan '19 and haven't looked back. It's such a stupidly fun yet practical (other than mpg) car. It replaced my beloved Redline Red 2015 SRT Jeep that I was reluctant to get rid of because it was such a great car (and I loved that color).

I think you are going to give yourself an aneurysm worrying about getting the EXACT car at the EXACT price you want - since you are dealing with what is sitting on dealer lots, you might want to compromise a little on your wants. You won't regret buying one!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I searched for months and continued to expand my choices. ALL vehicles loose massive money after purchase. Here goes the gut wrenching truth, at least for me. It is not a convertible. Who really ever uses a sunroof. I was honest with myself and rarely open it even though it was a deal stopper for me. I now rarely ever open it after a year of owning in the sunny state of Arizona and that is with UV film applied. The upgraded stereo does not perform close to the price for what you can build for less money that Harmon Kardon option will cost you. I have that option too and had to add an amp and subwoofer to make it sound decent. I live in Arizona and bought mine from Virginia. The dealer paid to ship to me and for far less than California or Texas dealers off the lot price. Heck that was in an enclosed carrier too.
Dude, if you perhaps can live without these options, it would open a lot of options for you, save you a lot more money, and give you smiles per miles a lot sooner. I was hesitant too, but all here will agree with me on this. Once you start driving it everyday, you will never look back. Your rear view mirror will be better than prime time television my friend. So go get one...

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP - you don't like the Rhino or green? Those are the 2 best colors and I would have killed for either!

I ended up with a boring white exterior but with the beautiful sepia alcantara and NO sunroof (saves over 100lbs off the top of the car). Got it for 15% off in Jan '19 and haven't looked back. It's such a stupidly fun yet practical (other than mpg) car. It replaced my beloved Redline Red 2015 SRT Jeep that I was reluctant to get rid of because it was such a great car (and I loved that color).

I think you are going to give yourself an aneurysm worrying about getting the EXACT car at the EXACT price you want - since you are dealing with what is sitting on dealer lots, you might want to compromise a little on your wants. You won't regret buying one!
I'm quite flexible on colors.....the only no no are flat gray, silver and green.

·
Banned
362 Posts
I'm quite flexible on colors.....the only no no are flat gray, silver and green.
I've had 4 GC's (SRT's and TH's) in the past 4 years. (A 2016, 17, 18 and 19) The first one was Metallic Steel, the second one was Gray, third one was Black and now I've got a Red one. The colors didn't matter much to me and I'd guess I've had just about every option that's made.

I really liked the Metallic Steel and Red colors and I "prefer" having a Sun Roof and full leather. The other option that I liked was the adaptive headlights that turned when the vehicle turned. I'm not sure if that's even an option any more. I also really like the auto dimming headlights too since I do a lot of rural nighttime driving.

And while I negotiated for the best price I could get on each vehicle, I would have paid full window sticker for each, if needed. And the only option that really mattered to me was the engine! Everything else was secondary and not a deal breaker. So if they come out with a Redeye, don't get in my way!

·
Banned
391 Posts
It is not a convertible. Who really ever uses a sunroof. I was honest with myself and rarely open it even though it was a deal stopper for me. I now rarely ever open it after a year of owning in the sunny state of Arizona and that is with UV film applied.
Ironically, in my case I couldn't find one to my liking without a sunroof.
That one I wouldn't budge on, since to me it's too much weight in a bad place. And costly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts