Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was seriously considering getting the 800hp upgrade but then this happened that has made me seriously consider:

Running stock tires (which suck), Bwoody intake, and resonator delete.

I've done about 20-40 1/8th mile runs (blew even demons away mind you), have 6k miles, and my last run at the strip saw my 4 wheel drive turn into a 2 wheel drive (so basically, the rear tires just spun at the track and I never got anywhere).

So, they then replace the front clutch, maybe that fixed that problem..? but then the binding I was feeling in a turn got WAY worse. So they replaced transfer case. That fixed nothing, FCA advised them to put another TCase in there, they returned the car to me "fixed" but basically the car could not turn -at all- undriveable. The binding was pretty hilarious, you'd have to floor the car to get it to move in a turn, and the wheels would hop and squeal, even at about a 30 degree turn. Obviously returned to shop.

So now back in the shop, FCA corp techs are involved. It's been 30 days and counting, and I think they are clueless on what the problem is.

EACH Tcase was $4200, if this thing had no warranty, I'd be hosed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not sure why they thought a second transfer case would make a difference, but at least you aren't fronting the bill. If its been in the shop for that long, this must be one of the first cases they've seen with this issue. Hopefully they are providing you with frequent updates on next steps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't think they did enough R&D on these as they should have...which isn't normal for an SRT vehicle. So far, I'm pretty bummed by all the problems these are having. This is my 4th SRT vehicle but the first one with significant problems.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I may have been one of the first (at least on this forum) with the bad transfer case. It started with binding while trying to turn and a lot of different warnings coming up on the dash. They first said it was the "encoder motor". They changed that and then the transfer case. I just started to have some issues again with the car kind of jolting and grunting when it is downshifting so it goes back in tomorrow. I am in active litigation due to the amount of problems that I have had with my TH which is killing me as I can't think of another SUV that would replace it. I think that we are jsut seeing the tip of the iceberg with issues.

·
Registered
685 Posts
An old saying in the car biz is to never buy a first year new model.

Well, I did...we all did.

Now we are experiencing some of the downfalls of doing so. FCA, in particular, seems to let the first year owners do the last year of R&D for them. Not a good scenario, but it lets them get a new vehicle to market that much sooner.

I luckily haven't had any problems, but I agree with Trackhawkdown that I don't know of anything else I'd want to replace it with. I've owned many of the usual suspects and they don't deliver the same intense whack of performance.

I'd possibly move to a new M5, but I really like having the utility (and stealth) of an SUV in my DD.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Transfer case does not interrupt the turning it is the Diff that does that because of the lock up on them and what is happening is they suppose to unlock upon a turn so you can turn without the opposite wheel locking up unless it starts to spin then it will lock up. The rear diff is not doing that so it is hopping around. Drain the fluid and refill it and that should fix it. A good adviser should of done that first.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I luckily haven't had any problems, but I agree with Trackhawkdown that I don't know of anything else I'd want to replace it with. I've owned many of the usual suspects and they don't deliver the same intense whack of performance.

I'd possibly move to a new M5, but I really like having the utility (and stealth) of an SUV in my DD.
If I end up having significant issues and getting rid of mine, I will be back in a truck. I've had SVT Lightning and SRT Ram SRT-10 trucks before trying the Jeep SUV. Maybe they'll actually go to production with the HC engine in a truck.

But I'm with you... for a DD, I cannot see anything out there that I'd rather drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts