Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting the grill rings wrapped in black vinyl or ordering a new set. Only problem is the new set comes unpainted. Has anybody got the grill rings blacked out? If so how did you go about it? I prefer the blacked out grills like you have on the ‘17+ SRT’s.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone gone the plasti dip route for the grills? My local shop threw up this suggestion. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did the same. $30 or $35 for new rings primered and ready to paint gloss black. $75 plus tip to paint. Just let them dry for at least 24 hours before installing. Wrap was 2-3 times as expensive. Now I’m planning to have the Oem cerakoated in urban/winter camo along with roof rails.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did the same. $30 or $35 for new rings primered and ready to paint gloss black. $75 plus tip to paint. Just let them dry for at least 24 hours before installing. Wrap was 2-3 times as expensive. Now I’m planning to have the Oem cerakoated in urban/winter camo along with roof rails.
Has anyone else done their grille rings in black?

It looks like the unpainted rings are now $116.00 https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-trim-ring-5zl71tzzaa/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Z3JpbGxlLWFuZC1jb21wb25lbnRzJmk9V0ExNDAyNzUmcj02JmE9amVlcCZvPWdyYW5kLWNoZXJva2VlJnk9MjAxOCZ0PXRyYWNraGF3ayZlPTYtMmwtdjgtZ2Fz

Also, you'd probably want to paint the fog lamp bezels as well so they match...
Fog Lamp Bezels are $100.00 for the pair. https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-bezel-fog-lamp-6dx59tzzab

Question: Why not just pop out the stock components, paint them, and stick them back in?

·
Registered
267 Posts
FCA had those bezels for 20 bucks last year, they sold a ton of sets and then decided that they prefer to screw their customers and jack it up 600%. 120 for unpainted plastic? FK FCA. post that link lil hemi, I doubt its an oem part, otherwise probably for a summit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
yea they deff won't fit, just wasn't trying to tell the guy he was wrong. he's verrrry sensitive...

·
Registered
258 Posts
How do the Grill Rings remove. I pulled them out on my old 2015 srt but wasn't sure if anything changed with the 2018's. Also any clue how to remove the rings in the lower area of the grill also? - do these come in pre-painted in black also?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone else done their grille rings in black?

It looks like the unpainted rings are now $116.00 https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-trim-ring-5zl71tzzaa/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Z3JpbGxlLWFuZC1jb21wb25lbnRzJmk9V0ExNDAyNzUmcj02JmE9amVlcCZvPWdyYW5kLWNoZXJva2VlJnk9MjAxOCZ0PXRyYWNraGF3ayZlPTYtMmwtdjgtZ2Fz

Also, you'd probably want to paint the fog lamp bezels as well so they match...
Fog Lamp Bezels are $100.00 for the pair. https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-bezel-fog-lamp-6dx59tzzab

Question: Why not just pop out the stock components, paint them, and stick them back in?

Fog Lamp Bezel? Brake Duct Bezel? Do these just pop out?

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Brake duct bezel? The brake ducting is the same plastic as the underbody plastics and not visible unless you’re underneath the vehicle.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Im going today to the body shop to drop off my car for the grill rings to be painted.. I am going for a small scratch that came with my new TH on the rear bumper ( dealer will pay for this part ) but am going to have them paint the 7 rings and the lower grill rings also. I will report back with the price I am quoted. I still dont get why they painted all the rings copper or whatever color that is.

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
I still dont get why they painted all the rings copper or whatever color that is.
Simple answer is that they wanted a unique color not available on other trims. Its good for marketing, especially when they named the color "Liquid Titanium".

They did also match it for some of the emblems, including the TrackHawk emblem in the back.

Personally I like the color they chose. At least in contrast to the color of my TrackHawk anyway. I thought about going with the black ones but I liked the copper tone against the Blue body, in fact, I liked it so much I had the wheels painted to match.

On our 2015 SRT, I replaced the grill rings with the black version, looked better with the stark contrast against the white Jeep.

So bottom line, its all opinion, and even then, opinion may change depending on the vehicle color and other accessories / themes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts