Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a passenger scuff my door panel with their shoe. There were very deep scratches that I was able to buff out, but now there is a spot where the leather got worn down and it is discolored now. The scuff was just as noticeable so I didn’t really make it any worse by buffing them out with leather conditioner and a microfiber towel.

I tried to bring some color back with black shoe polish, but it didn’t work because the polish was shiny and the area around it is matte, so I removed it.

It bothers me enough now to order a new door panel but I can’t seem to locate a P/N on the internet for a 2018 TH. Is the 2017 GC SRT door panel the same? Does it even come in all leather?

I am also thinking about taking it to the dealer to see if they would work with me on the replacement price, but I am afraid they are going to say it is not a manufacturer defect and I am on my own. Lesson learned for me… the leather on the door panels is very thin and can be easily damaged!

I am open to any ideas at this point as well…
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:
Since I cannot find any P/N schematics for 2018 Jeep model years, I looked at the 2017 GC SRT.
5YN791X9AB is the P/N for the RH door panel that I believe is black leather wrapped for the 2017 SRT with Laguna Leather trim package.

Does anyone have a 2017 GC SRT that can confirm the door panels are the same as the TH? Example: stitching color and metal trim?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Man, that sucks! As if the leather trim wasn't expensive enough already, now you have to buy a new door panel??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pretty sure the signature black is the same for the TH and the SRT. However, the carbon fiber spears are different - the TH is reported to have a "silver thread" fiber? Haven't looked at the 2018 SRT features to see if they have this same silver thread.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a pic of my 2017 GC SRT with the laguna leather trim. If you need another view or different angle, I will try to provide.
Thank you for the picture. Do you mind taking one of the whole panel? I just want to make sure the stitching color matches. So far to me it looks the same, but they do change part #’s by model year. I have not gone to the dealer yet, but I am not positive I can even get the 2018 replacement panel yet (it might be on backorder). I went to a custom upholstery shop today to see if it could be repaired and they said no, so they directed me to another repair shop that I am going to try to contact next. They didn’t seem too confident it could be repaired to look like new and said I would probably just need to buy a new one.

I am still going to try to see if it can be fixed first.

Is the bezel that surrounds the door pull the same? I think the carbon fiber trim can be swapped out if it isn’t the same.

Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, that sucks! As if the leather trim wasn't expensive enough already, now you have to buy a new door panel??
You are telling me! The 2017 RH panel is $1,215, so I guess I should feel lucky it isn’t the LH that is $1,670…

It makes me sick that not only it damages easily, but the whole door panel has to be replaced.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty sure the signature black is the same for the TH and the SRT. However, the carbon fiber spears are different - the TH is reported to have a "silver thread" fiber? Haven't looked at the 2018 SRT features to see if they have this same silver thread.
I think you are right, and that is the only piece that can be replaced without replaced the whole panel. If isn't the same, I can just swap them.

Thank you

·
Registered
505 Posts
I hope you make the guy/gal who scuffed it take off their shoes next time.

Actually, that's a good rule for any passenger.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me know if this one works.
Thank you, that helps a lot. Maybe it is me or the picture, but it looks like the stitching color may be different. Your stitching looks grey where mine looks whiter. What do you think? Your door panel looks new and very clean!

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope you make the guy/gal who scuffed it take off their shoes next time.

Actually, that's a good rule for any passenger.
I agree, it is going to be a rule from now on. After this, if someone other than my wife sits in the passenger seat they will be required to remove their shoes before getting in. It was a co-worker that did it. Even though I refused to drive, I got cornered into driving him and a few others to his retirement lunch and when I stopped to get gas (go figure, LOL), I heard him accidently kick the door and didn’t think much of it until I looked at it when I got home from work and realized the extent of the damage. It looked like he had rocks imbedded in the treads of his shoes when he kicked it. I have not mentioned it to him, but there is a part of me that wants to tell him the replacement cost of the door panel that he damaged. I am sure he would just deny it and it would just create hostility at work for the few weeks he has left. Which is why I have not said anything.

My wife is really upset about it. The Jeep only has 3k miles on it and we are already looking at replacing a very expensive door panel. If the damage was lower on the door panel and not so obvious, I would probably just have the damage painted and live with it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree, it is going to be a rule from now on. After this, if someone other than my wife sits in the passenger seat they will be required to remove their shoes before getting in. It was a co-worker that did it. Even though I refused to drive, I got cornered into driving him and a few others to his retirement lunch and when I stopped to get gas (go figure, LOL), I heard him accidently kick the door and didn’t think much of it until I looked at it when I got home from work and realized the extent of the damage. It looked like he had rocks imbedded in the treads of his shoes when he kicked it. I have not mentioned it to him, but there is a part of me that wants to tell him the replacement cost of the door panel that he damaged. I am sure he would just deny it and it would just create hostility at work for the few weeks he has left. Which is why I have not said anything.

My wife is really upset about it. The Jeep only has 3k miles on it and we are already looking at replacing a very expensive door panel. If the damage was lower on the door panel and not so obvious, I would probably just have the damage painted and live with it.
The leather looks great, but this is exactly why I didn't go with the leather upgrade. On my last SRT there were scuff marks on the door panels that I couldn't remove all of the way so I figured leather would be worse. Plus the fact that I'd be a nervous wreck once anyone got in my car as you well know.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The leather looks great, but this is exactly why I didn't go with the leather upgrade. On my last SRT there were scuff marks on the door panels that I couldn't remove all of the way so I figured leather would be worse. Plus the fact that I'd be a nervous wreck once anyone got in my car as you well know.
I agree Adam. If I only knew then what I know now…

I even thought about replacing both front door panels with the non-leather versions. I can buy both the RH & LH front door panels for the cost of just the RH leather version, but it wouldn’t match the rear doors or the rest of the interior…

You are right, I will be a nervous wreck every time someone is riding with me from now on. Maybe I should make non-family members sign a contract every time they want a ride so they will be held liable for any damages they cause. You know, like when you rent a car and you do the “walk-around” before you sign and drive away. Maybe this will deter them enough from wanting me to drive.
:wink2:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree Adam. If I only knew then what I know now…

I even thought about replacing both front door panels with the non-leather versions. I can buy both the RH & LH front door panels for the cost of just the RH leather version, but it wouldn’t match the rear doors or the rest of the interior…

You are right, I will be a nervous wreck every time someone is riding with me from now on. Maybe I should make non-family members sign a contract every time they want a ride so they will be held liable for any damages they cause. You know, like when you rent a car and you do the “walk-around” before you sign and drive away. Maybe this will deter them enough from wanting me to drive.
:wink2:
LOL...If you don't want any passengers that would be the quickest way to ride alone!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I feel for you. This sucks for sure. I noticed my rear bumper had been backed into and scraped up before I even washed my Jeep for the very first time! I don’t think I even had 500 miles on it yet. What makes it even worse is that I think it’s the guy that parks behind my spot in my own parking garage in my condo building. He drives a big work van with no rear window or camera...who else could it be. It’s a $477 part, so not quite as bad as yours, but it still pisses me off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel for you. This sucks for sure. I noticed my rear bumper had been backed into and scraped up before I even washed my Jeep for the very first time! I don’t think I even had 500 miles on it yet. What makes it even worse is that I think it’s the guy that parks behind my spot in my own parking garage in my condo building. He drives a big work van with no rear window or camera...who else could it be. It’s a $477 part, so not quite as bad as yours, but it still pisses me off.
Thank you for your support. I just wish people cared a little more about other people’s property these days.

Even before the damage occurred to my door panel, I always inform my passengers that this is no “ordinary Jeep” and costs as much as a lot of people’s homes around here. I know it is not going to stay perfect forever, but I at least hoped I wouldn’t have any visible damage for the first year of ownership, and certainly not after only 2 months of ownership.

Ok, I will get off my venting soapbox now…

Thanks again for all the help and support.

PS: Attached is a few (now funny) pictures from my work’s parking lot one day when I drove my ZR1 Corvette and parked it in the furthest parking lot from my building in hopes I wouldn’t get a door ding.

And yes, this person had at least 100 other open parking spaces to choose from that were a lot closer to the building….
The cars in my own garage have more space between them. To say I was pissed, is an understatement.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
People are jerks. No respect at all these days...

I've seen many stories like your parking situation. So now I don't park close nor far away. Somewhere in between and hope for the best.

Going back to our leather door panels, wonder if we could put some type of clear protective film/plastic in that area to protect them, without damaging the leather in the process?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 20 Posts