Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty bummed out after attempting to do my own oil change on the hawk.

Last night, I cut out a hole and made a removable plate to access the oil cooler so today’s oil change would be a bit easier. So I thought...

Why is my oil drainage nut tucked in the back!? Lol. All videos // images I’ve seen of trackhawks their oil drain plug is smack in the center with super easy access. Mine is pretty high and very hard to get to. I called it quits and will have the dealership do my oil change.

Is anyone else’s trackhawk like this? Mine is a 2018.

Pic with the red arrow is what most trackhawk oil belly’s look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much oil get caught in the cooler?
That plate looks perfect I like it just not sure I would stress on dumpin that oil very often.
Think from my research folks say around 6-8oz? Not much tbh, but I have slight OCD so I figured while I’m down there to drain it. Pretty pointless now since I have the dealer do it lmao

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealership made a comment today about my oil drain plug being a P.I.T.A. so I’m def not going crazy...Didn’t have the chance to speak with the technician but I’m assuming mine goes to a Charger Hellcat.

Also nervous to look under my car because I have a feeling they may of done a hack-job to get to it.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Dealership made a comment today about my oil drain plug being a P.I.T.A. so I’m def not going crazy...Didn’t have the chance to speak with the technician but I’m assuming mine goes to a Charger Hellcat.

Also nervous to look under my car because I have a feeling they may of done a hack-job to get to it.
Id be pissed if they messed up that cover you made.
6-8oz is nothing a lil dirty oil mixed in with all the new stuff will do no harm. besides if your OCD you are not going to long before you change oil anyways.
dont get me wrong what you made was super cool I just dont think that lil bit of oil is a big deal. It would have to hold a quart before I worried about it, lol
I would check your oil so many stories from dealerships. over filling - under filling- leaving the old filter on - not tightening the filter - the list goes on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Id be pissed if they messed up that cover you made.
6-8oz is nothing a lil dirty oil mixed in with all the new stuff will do no harm. besides if your OCD you are not going to long before you change oil anyways.
dont get me wrong what you made was super cool I just dont think that lil bit of oil is a big deal. It would have to hold a quart before I worried about it, lol
I would check your oil so many stories from dealerships. over filling - under filling- leaving the old filter on - not tightening the filter - the list goes on.
Haha for peace of mind I ended up checking it out. They def replaced the filter, drain plug nut doesn’t look stripped or look like it’s leaking oil. No mess on the under carriage, so I think it’s safe to say I’m in the clear. Charged me for 9qts so I’m assuming they drained the oil cooler as well.

Paid $120 for the oil change.

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
When I drain my oil cooler I get almost 16oz out of it every time.
Yep, same here, I thought I had a picture of it but I cant find it. Almost 16oz... Well worth it to me.

Reactions: X+ Pilot

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
Oh wow! The few posts I’ve seen folks usually said they get less than 8oz. Wish my oil pan was like a normal trackhawk so I can do everything myself.
I would probably try to get the dealership to replace it under warranty since its obviously the wrong part...

If they wont though, I would end up buying and replacing it myself, I could not stand not doing my own oil changes long term.

Plus the cost difference, 3 or 4 oil changes would likely pay for the pan.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Haha for peace of mind I ended up checking it out. They def replaced the filter, drain plug nut doesn’t look stripped or look like it’s leaking oil. No mess on the under carriage, so I think it’s safe to say I’m in the clear. Charged me for 9qts so I’m assuming they drained the oil cooler as well.

The first 2 years of ownership should be free oil changes under the Jeep Wave program.

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh wow! The few posts I’ve seen folks usually said they get less than 8oz. Wish my oil pan was like a normal trackhawk so I can do everything myself.
I would probably try to get the dealership to replace it under warranty since its obviously the wrong part...

If they wont though, I would end up buying and replacing it myself, I could not stand not doing my own oil changes long term.

Plus the cost difference, 3 or 4 oil changes would likely pay for the pan.
My exact thoughts. Especially since I don’t know if they drained my oil cooler. If they didn’t I can’t imagine how much they’d charge.

I wonder if you could get an EZ-Valve up in there, sure would make draining the oil a snap.
Thought about the EZ valve but I’m scared to get scrap metal caught in the **** thing lol. May end up doing it anyways. Appreciate it!

The first 2 years of ownership should be free oil changes under the Jeep Wave program.
I bought my hawk used so I’m not sure if it carries over to the new owner. Funny enough the original owner used to service the hawk at the same dealership I go to. It’s also a 2018 so I’m sure the 2 years is near or past.

I wonder if you could get an EZ-Valve up in there, sure would make draining the oil a snap.
Yep, been talked about a lot. It was one of my first Mods.

https://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum...il-change-modification-access-oil-cooler.html
Sheesh, had no clue an entire thread was created about this stupid oil pan. Kills me Jeep would do something like that with the drain plug being so hard to reach. Do you know if adding a EZ valve voids warranty?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts