Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to lose my 'ish on the dealer. I've had this groaning type sound since I bought my Jeep in the end of Dec. For the first bit, I thought it was just the electronic power steering(as my Merc S63 made a sound with the same type of system). It wouldn't always happen though. My driveway to the side of my house is kinda of a S shape. Whenever I would turn the wheel back the other way, I would hear this little groan sound. I also heard it on occasion pulling into a parking spot. I didn't think much of it. As time has gone on, it has gotten progressively worse and worse and more constant. Only way I can describe the sound is a power steering pump that's low on fluid. Granted we have electronic steering in our TH's, I knew it wasn't the steering. Must be TCase.

So I dropped it off on 3/13 to have it looked at, the fuel line recall looked at, an oil change, and tire rotation and balance. They put chassis ears on the Jeep and they determined it was the front diff. I didn't agree with that and still think it's the tcase or rear diff but said okay. The front diff was on back order of course. It finally showed up on Tuesday morning(3/27). They call me Thursday at 5pm and tell me they just pulled it in to start working on it. Nothing had been done yet. The job calls for 3.9 hours if no parts are swapped over and 4.6 hours if they have to swap parts over. I'm thinking it'll be ready yesterday. I call twice. Finally get a call back at 5pm yesterday. Said everything was done and they have the front diff out but haven't installed the new one yet. I'm like... WTF?!?! It should be done by now! Service Writer tells me it'll be ready today. The tech is coming in to finish it.

So no calls. I call them at 3pm. They tell me my SW is off today. I tell the guy I need to speak with someone who can tell me if my car is ready and I'm getting pissed off. The guy tells me the service manager will call me back.

He calls me back and asks how I'm doing. I tell him I'm not happy. He proceeds to tell me that they're aware of the situation and they're going to be calling Maw MOPAR on Monday. I'm like? Hmmmm... so the new diff has been installed? He says yes it was. So I say, Lemme guess.... it's still making the same noise as before? He said yes. SHOCKER!! Told them if it WASN'T THE FRONT DIFF, I was going to be pissed off if I had to wait and it wasn't the correct diagnosis.

So then he tells me that they believe this issue has to do with the "components" I installed. I told him NO NO NO! You are wrong sir. This problem has been going on for some time now and the Mopar Lowering Springs were a new addition. I told him I have proof on social media asking other TH owners if they hear the same noise before it had gotten really bad. I complained on our IG TH owners group on Feb 3rd about the issue and have on FB as well. Had the springs installed on Fed 22nd. Have screen shots of it.

The "regional rep" came out last week to the dealer and noticed it was lowered. He had to look at the run in my powder coat on one of my wheels to okay me getting a new one. He noticed it was lowered and said if I have another driveline issue, I would have to reinstall the factory springs as my MOPAR springs are made for the regular SRT not the TH. Really man? Give me a break. Only difference between the 2 are 200lbs. 200lbs will NOT make a difference as far as spring rates are concerned. What happens when you have the Jeep loaded with 5 people in it?!?!

This vehicle with the body panel fitments, this issue, the radio issues I've had, my "we owe" issues, the aluminum on the engine issues, needing 4 new tires with 150 miles on the car.... has really left a sour taste in my mouth. My wife's 2017 Summit's body panels fit better than my TH.

If you're reading this forum MOPAR..... GET YOUR **** TOGETHER! This is my 5th Mopar vehicle in 10 years and it is going to be my last I'm sure. Even my wife's 2017 Summit had ridiculous issues right from the start. I can guarantee that many first time Mopar owners that bought a TH..... this will be their last one as well.

Okay... I have banged on my keyboard long enough. It has said mercy. Poor keys. Rant is over.....

You know what really sucks about this whole ordeal.... is the fact that I absolutely 1000% am in love with driving this vehicle. It is the most fun vehicle I've ever had on the street. I'm more than likely going to put up with it bc it is so much fun to drive. That's what pisses me off. Thanks for listening y'all....

Harrison

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction.... my 6th Mopar in 10 years.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Holy crapola, man! That's a really painful ordeal.

Agreed, I expect more quality from a $100k car. But it's a $100K version of a $35K car, as has been discussed previously. Not that it's any sort of a valid excuse for poor quality, but I guess it is what it is.

I sure hope you get all these problems behind you and can haul azz, as it should be.

BTW: Did your TH end up needing the actual fuel line replacement, or just an inspection? I haven't taken my TH in yet for a look-see.

·
Banned
362 Posts
BTW: Did your TH end up needing the actual fuel line replacement, or just an inspection? I haven't taken my TH in yet for a look-see.
I haven't taken mine in yet either and based on how these dealers can't seem to fix anything in a reasonable amount of time, I'm not sure I want to.

BTW, I haven't received any official recall notice. No formal letter, no email, no phone call. If I didn't read forums like this (and then checked my VIN#) I would not have ever known about it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mine sat at the dealer for close to two months before they were even allowed to open the hood and look at! Once they were finally allowed to inspect it they determined mine didn’t even need the recall part, and were then allowed to sell it to me. Not the most organized of processes, that’s for sure.

But I wouldn’t mess around with a fuel line that can come loose, if it did your on 🔥 for sure. Call the dealer first to see if they have the proper part in stock, then take it in.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My dealer said they need to see the car first, then they will order the part if necessary, as they don't sell many THs.

I totally agree that you never want a fire. But I would've hoped that my TH won't have to be held ransom until the part arrives.

·
Registered
695 Posts
There’s an image posted on another thread that shows the good vs bad, compare yours to it to determine if your safe. That’s a good place to start.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good idea, thanks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Already have a large Halon on board.

·
Banned
362 Posts
I checked mine a few weeks ago (against the pictures that were posted) and it looked okay to me. However, I will still have a dealer check it at some point. The nearest dealer to me is a two hour round trip so not it's not real convenient nor do I like the idea of having these "techs' mess with my cars.

Funny thing is, I have some older cars (60's vintage collectables) and have had fuel lines, carburetors and "external pump" leaks a number of times over the years. Discovered them all either by visual inspections or the smell of gas. So far, I personally have never had a "total loss of power or fire", in any car but that is certinely always a possibility and of course, it does happen.

Still, I'd really like to know how many have needed to be replaced due to this recall vs those that have checked out ok.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Car-Guy:
I own several '60s muscle cars and agree on the fuel smell being a usual clue.
However, I think with the high psi of fuel injection systems, the clue could go from "hey, that smells like gas" to "oh sh!!t" in an instant.

Recently, the front float on my '66 Corvette 427's Holley decided to collapse (pinhole leak in the brass float that sucked in most of the fuel in the float bowl), then upon starting the bowl thusly flooded and gasoline overflowed like mad through the breather tube. There was a seemingly ocean of fuel on top of my engine right after the engine barely was running I said "hey that smells like gas."

And that was only at the system's 4-6 psi of the mechanical pump. Luckily, I was backing it out of the garage at the time, and averted any further problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This Rabbit hole keeps getting deeper and deeper....

So the dealership calls me this morning. They tell me that they will not do anything more on the Jeep until it's raised back up. Seriously? This is getting out of hand. I don't know how many times I have to tell these people this was doing it WELL before the springs were installed. They changed the front diff but my writer is saying that after talking with engineering, it's out of his hands. He said they think bc it's lowered, it has changed the angle of the axles which is creating the noise. That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Every single GCSRT with the MOPAR springs would be doing the same thing then!!!!

I went and picked up the Jeep and just got home. I think after 10 years and 4 cars from them, I am finally done with that dealership. I don't care what the tech "thinks" it is. It's not. It's not the front diff Mr Tech. You changed it to a brand new one and it was the same result. Wonder if he even bothered to look at the tcase fluid? Probably not bc his "chassis ears" told him it was the front diff. Well guess what.... sound travels up a driveshaft! I'm so over this already.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm sorry for ya. Customizing our vehicles is all good until you need to go to dealership....maybe try another dealer

·
Registered
28 Posts
8 sec, lemon law possibly? I am in Texas and with the issue I had I checked the state law, here it is 30 days in the shop with a few clauses, but a wide open one stating if it effects the vehicle value it can be lemon lawed. A loud groan would sure effect that vehicles value if unresolved. Then as much as you like it, just find another one. Just food for thought and figured it may be worth mentioning for you to consider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For anyone who is affected and your car was Inspected & determined it was not necessary PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE insist it be replaced anyway ! I took ownership of mine 10 days before the dealers were notified about the stop sale. I was initially told it was okay back in February, but was supposed to be getting a part anyway beginning of March. Long story short a few days ago right after hitting 1,500 miles and while driving around 50mph down a major road my TH stalled and would not start back up. Right before it happened the smell of gas filled the cabin through the air vents... A metro bus had to put on the emergency brakes and literally almost hit me. Dealer said they thought my fuel line still looked fine so would NOT be replacing it. But would look into other reasons it won’t start at all ! I told them To not touch my car and immediately called Chrysler and Roadside assistance It’s now at a different dealer. (Via tow truck because it’s still dead) .. it was terrifying. please please please if your vin is affected INSIST they replace it. Better to be safe !

·
Registered
82 Posts
This Rabbit hole keeps getting deeper and deeper....

So the dealership calls me this morning. They tell me that they will not do anything more on the Jeep until it's raised back up. Seriously? This is getting out of hand. I don't know how many times I have to tell these people this was doing it WELL before the springs were installed. They changed the front diff but my writer is saying that after talking with engineering, it's out of his hands. He said they think bc it's lowered, it has changed the angle of the axles which is creating the noise. That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Every single GCSRT with the MOPAR springs would be doing the same thing then!!!!

I went and picked up the Jeep and just got home. I think after 10 years and 4 cars from them, I am finally done with that dealership. I don't care what the tech "thinks" it is. It's not. It's not the front diff Mr Tech. You changed it to a brand new one and it was the same result. Wonder if he even bothered to look at the tcase fluid? Probably not bc his "chassis ears" told him it was the front diff. Well guess what.... sound travels up a driveshaft! I'm so over this already.
That's a huge bummer man, hate it when dealerships are the source of all your frustration with a new vehicle. Its for that reason I try to hold out on mods for as long as possible. What's the plan now? Taking it somewhere else for a second opinion?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had a dealership refuse to touch my 2010 GC SRT8 simply because it had an aftermarket sound system in it, it was bone stock other than that. I couldn’t imagine what that same dealer would say with your TH, they probably wouldn’t even allow it on their lot. Lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still working on getting it fixed. It's getting worse now. I'm just waiting for it to break so they don't have to diagnose anything. LOL.

Reactions: nivek
1 - 19 of 19 Posts