Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious if any of your guys or gals have ever needed help or warranty type work after using a vendor?
I had a super responsive tuner/vendor I used for my Raptor. the guy would answer all my questions advise me on parts etc etc. I thought they were the greatest around, parts came fast and tune was 1000% better then Whipple(never ever use whipple tunes on anything) So anyways soon after I notice coming to a stop light my RPM would drop so low it would kill my AC seats and even the AC the truck only died like 1 maybe 2 times but the AC all the time. Thats when I found out companys suck ass. they had me "trouble shoot" the truck the same way 7 times it got old fast they blamed everything execpt the real problem the TUNE. This is what actually drove me to get rid of the Raptor. The game they played just killed me.

So I am wondering has anyone needed their tuner/parts vendor for something after money was spent? you know real customer service? really looking for tuner reply's but id love to hear any type of reply's.

·
Registered
412 Posts
As much as I hate to say this... mail-order or remote tuning is a crap-shoot. If the tuner is not within driving distance, I either a) do it myself or b) don't do anything. That's one _big_ reason I have not modded my TH...even with good reviews on several tuners (OST and Livernois). Because it is very hard, as you have found out unfortunately, to get them to own up to something... or take the time (once they have your $$) to do things... especially the "minor" stuff, which is how I'm sure they classified the issue with your Raptor. And that was just a throttle/low-load map issue (idle air control) you had. It would have been something very easy to resolve in-house... not as easy when they don't have the vehicle in their shop, and it is costing them time (which is $$) to troubleshoot something remotely.

It's better nowdays because the internet is a powerful tool, and a tuner doing stuff nationwide should be just as concerned with the guy 1500 miles away who can't show up at their front door as the guy who lives in the same city. But, these shops also make the most money when they are not only tuning the vehicle, but also installing the parts. So they are (maybe "have to be" is too strong of a phrase) more loyal/helpful to their local customers. Who is going to get them more repeat business? the guys who are going to leave their vehicle at the shop for the work done.

The other thing is that remote work takes more time. What seems like forever to the end user is just one vehicle of many the tuner/shop is working on at one time. The fact you and I might be remote exacerbates the problem because there are additional steps (primarily data-logging) that must take place, and its not in "real time" to the tuner/shop, since the vehicle is not on site. So I get it to a degree... not that ignoring or refusing to solve the problem is ever the answer, which is why for my own peace of mind I need to be able to get the vehicle physically to the shop in question for a worst-case issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As much as I hate to say this... mail-order or remote tuning is a crap-shoot. If the tuner is not within driving distance, I either a) do it myself or b) don't do anything. That's one _big_ reason I have not modded my TH...even with good reviews on several tuners (OST and Livernois). Because it is very hard, as you have found out unfortunately, to get them to own up to something... or take the time (once they have your $$) to do things... especially the "minor" stuff, which is how I'm sure they classified the issue with your Raptor. And that was just a throttle/low-load map issue (idle air control) you had. It would have been something very easy to resolve in-house... not as easy when they don't have the vehicle in their shop, and it is costing them time (which is $$) to troubleshoot something remotely.

It's better nowdays because the internet is a powerful tool, and a tuner doing stuff nationwide should be just as concerned with the guy 1500 miles away who can't show up at their front door as the guy who lives in the same city. But, these shops also make the most money when they are not only tuning the vehicle, but also installing the parts. So they are (maybe "have to be" is too strong of a phrase) more loyal/helpful to their local customers. Who is going to get them more repeat business? the guys who are going to leave their vehicle at the shop for the work done.

The other thing is that remote work takes more time. What seems like forever to the end user is just one vehicle of many the tuner/shop is working on at one time. The fact you and I might be remote exacerbates the problem because there are additional steps (primarily data-logging) that must take place, and its not in "real time" to the tuner/shop, since the vehicle is not on site. So I get it to a degree... not that ignoring or refusing to solve the problem is ever the answer, which is why for my own peace of mind I need to be able to get the vehicle physically to the shop in question for a worst-case issue.
The story with the Raptor is even worse. Before I did the remote Tune. I had Whipples tune. it was OK at best. the truck would shut off a WOT sometimes and you could just tell it had a lot more power that should of been there. Well I live 3-4 hours from Whipple so I went there for custom tune. That was WORSE. the truck def had more power the tuner said yea the timing is way off I can fix no problem. so he did his thing I took a quick spin around block with him he drove all seemed fine he said its perfect etc etc. well when I got off freeway and at home where I could really test it WOW was it Fed up. It would hit the limiter for what seemed like 5 seconds before it would shift. the trans tune was so far off I could not go WOT from a stop. anyways long story I called and they said nothing they could do it was perfect. the trans was not able to be fixed due to factory safe guards. I LOLed and said it wasnt that bad first time why now. they dodged me I even offered to bring back leave for how ever etc etc pay extra anything they said no we can do it thru emails and data logging. I told them to **** off and I will bad mouth them anytime I can now.

I then went with the other shop (story above)

I am wondering if anyone has had great service after the fact? we all see how great places are but what if there is a lil issue? how are they then? This is leading to something I just want to see if anyone has good experiences first and see if the place replys to me with a real answer.

·
Registered
582 Posts
HHP did my HC a few years back, and I’ve used them for various parts/advice/help in the past, and I can’t say enough good things about them. They have a great rep for years in this community and it’s for a very good reason. [email protected] is one of a handful of guys who in a true pioneer of the gen3 platform. Certainly not the cheap, but safe to say, won’t let you down.

Remote tuning can be done properly, and several guys are actually really good at it. Tim Barth, another true old school legend in the gen3 community, has an excellent rep for it. Just had a conversation about how on point and timely he is with his tuning schedule, and sticking with it.

Remote tuning can also be a nightmare, as noted. It’s while I always say, PICK A KNOWN TUNER. It is the single most important decision you will make when upping the boost on this platform.

Other solid guys with great reps, that I have never used though, [email protected] and [email protected] tuning, even AJ , but he’s a really busy guy, but another pioneer that still is developing tunes for this platform no one else can.

Just be careful, there are a lot of copy cat tuners popping up over the past few years. And by copy cat, they are literally copying tunes from others and tweaking them as their own.

And yes, whipple canned tunes are garbage, no matter what platform we are talking about. Magnuson the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HHP did my HC a few years back, and I’ve used them for various parts/advice/help in the past, and I can’t say enough good things about them. They have a great rep for years in this community and it’s for a very good reason. [email protected] is one of a handful of guys who in a true pioneer of the gen3 platform. Certainly not the cheap, but safe to say, won’t let you down.

Remote tuning can be done properly, and several guys are actually really good at it. Tim Barth, another true old school legend in the gen3 community, has an excellent rep for it. Just had a conversation about how on point and timely he is with his tuning schedule, and sticking with it.

Remote tuning can also be a nightmare, as noted. It’s while I always say, PICK A KNOWN TUNER. It is the single most important decision you will make when upping the boost on this platform.

Other solid guys with great reps, that I have never used though, [email protected] and [email protected] tuning, even AJ , but he’s a really busy guy, but another pioneer that still is developing tunes for this platform no one else can.

Just be careful, there are a lot of copy cat tuners popping up over the past few years. And by copy cat, they are literally copying tunes from others and tweaking them as their own.

And yes, whipple canned tunes are garbage, no matter what platform we are talking about. Magnuson the same.

hum not sure I follow?
I want to know who has used a tuner and needed help after and actually got it. I am not looking for recommendations (yet, lol) I want to know who spent $$$$ and 3 weeks later needed help with anything and the tuner actually stepped up to help? Or are you saying these guy did for you in the past?
it seems like the tuners dont want to do shiit after you pay them and they send the tune. Ive had this happen 2 times so far so trying to get a feel if this is normal or just my bad luck?

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I looked up all the guys recommended and they are all 2000-2500 miles away lol are there not any closer? I couldnt find any that is why I did mail in package. I will travel 500 miles no problem 1000 miles I will ship but it would have to be to a shop like the guys above very reputable.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes, HHP has.

After install of pulley and associated hardware, the tune needed a few more revisions as I was seeing a few degrees of knock at the track. He returned me between runs, remotely, via a laptop a few days later when I went back to track.
I’ve also been to Cecil county drag and watched Josh revise customer cars there as well.

Busted a sway bar link I got from .... Sent me out a new one same day. Also returned and refunded another part for my Maggie that was defective.

He’s good.
Honestly, I think he has such a great rep because he does things properly, the first time, which is why he’s not cheap probably.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, HHP has.

After install of pulley and associated hardware, the tune needed a few more revisions as I was seeing a few degrees of knock at the track. He returned me between runs, remotely, via a laptop a few days later when I went back to track.
I’ve also been to Cecil county drag and watched Josh revise customer cars there as well.

Busted a sway bar link I got from .... Sent me out a new one same day. Also returned and refunded another part for my Maggie that was defective.

He’s good.
Honestly, I think he has such a great rep because he does things properly, the first time, which is why he’s not cheap probably.

yea but if you get service in return for the money its a deal to me. Josh sounds like a good person to do business with

·
Registered
412 Posts
If we are just throwing out names of shops with great reputations, I put my money behind 21st Century Musclecars in Addison, TX (N. Dallas). They have done several GM builds for me, and one time they had their #2 service tech come to my _house_ to resolve an issue. Headers burned an OEM plug wire, creating a misfire. Instead of just getting me a new OEM plug wire or set, they installed (for free) a set of aftermarket wires they felt would clear the headers better. If they worked on Mopars, I'd consider having them tune my TH.

Built a twin-turbo 2002 Corvette Z06 for me 15 years ago. Car still runs like a top and puts the power to the pavement. Been doing business with them for 17 years.

Reactions: ROCKETW19

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm sure there are great tuners out there, but I have to agree with WA 2 FST, remote tuning can be a dangerous endeavor, even if the tuner is the best. When you are logging data and sending it to a tuner and then a couple of days later you get a revision, what has changed in those couple of days? Have you put more gas in it from a different location has the weather conditions changed? There could be any number of variables, real time at the tuners shop is the safest way to go.

·
Super Moderator
2,515 Posts
The only time I’ve remote tuned, I rented a Dyno and had the tuner doing the remote in real time and after we hammered out the full throttle stuff I sent in data logs for the next few weeks and they tweaked the tune as we went.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sure there are great tuners out there, but I have to agree with WA 2 FST, remote tuning can be a dangerous endeavor, even if the tuner is the best. When you are logging data and sending it to a tuner and then a couple of days later you get a revision, what has changed in those couple of days? Have you put more gas in it from a different location has the weather conditions changed? There could be any number of variables, real time at the tuners shop is the safest way to go.
that can happen any time. i can get gas he can tune at his shop or not and gas will prob be different the next time anyways. the tune auto corrects just like your stock computer does now also.
The flex tune will correct even more like E85 to 91 etc.

But again you guys are off topic.

WHO has used a tuner and needed help later and actually got it? that what I want to know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts