Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six weeks ago I was on my way to our local Costco when another car made an illegal turn thru the intersection in front of me. There was a mini van in the turn on our side and it was blocking me seeing the car turn from the thru lane over a blank lane and a turn lane into the intersection. When I saw him I stood on the brakes but it was too late, I t-boned them in the right rear quarter with mainly the right side of the front. Bent the frame and did a bunch of damage to the Hawk. The insurance has gone back and forth about totaling it out. The body shop thought it should be totaled, the police on the scene said it was totaled and the initial assessment by the collision side of insurance said the same. The total loss division sent it back and said it was repairable, almost $50K of damage. I went and looked at the Hawk after they pulled the engine and the tech described how they were going to have to replace both front frame rails, most of the suspension, radiator, ac, supercharger cooler, cooling pump, dash, air bags etc. When he explained how they had to bring in the dealership techs to measure the frame and how they might cut and weld the frame, I went back to the insurance and pleaded my case about totaling it again. Of course collision said yes, total loss said no. Last week I did a last ditch effort explaining about the unknowns, if the supercharger was still good, engine, drive train etc. The collision group had a big meeting over the Hawk and about 5PM last Monday called and said it would be a total loss. I feel relieved but yet bummed out about losing the Hawk. It truly is a special vehicle which I had a lot of fun with. I'll miss it but one day will look for another one to take its place. I hope to have the settlement this week and get into something else. I've been driving our Ford Transit Connect, we call it our Berner Bus for transporting our two Bernese Mountain Dogs around, for the past six weeks. Talk about loss of power. I don't know where the Hawk will go thru salvage auction at.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hence why I am going with something else. I thought about the Durango, but those are sold out and not much on the dealer lots.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are you considering an SRT? The 392 engine in the Grand Cherokee is fun. Not quite as crazy as the TH, but still awesome. I've heard that the 392 in the Durango is also an enjoyable drive (and sounds really good).

·
Registered
27 Posts
That...sucks! I honestly feel for ya...you'll get the money that's owed you I'm sure....just what what do you convert it to. If I was in your position, I suppose I'd convert it to a low millage BMW X5M...those are nice SUVs and they are out there. No shame cruising around in that ride. They're are pretty baller.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had a SRT (392) before as well as several Vettes... Sorry, there's no going back. (IMO)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That...sucks! I honestly feel for ya...you'll get the money that's owed you I'm sure....just what what do you convert it to. If I was in your position, I suppose I'd convert it to a low millage BMW X5M...those are nice SUVs and they are out there. No shame cruising around in that ride. They're are pretty baller.
In all actuality, I only spent less than $700 to drive the Hawk for two years, put a set of Michelins on it before the accident. My jaw about dropped when they told me the payout on it.
I had a BMW X5M, it was alright but it taught me what BMW meant. Bring My Wallet, won't have another one if it is close to out of warranty. I've had a bunch of performance cars over the last 10 years, 04 Z06, 07 Z06, 08 Z06, 09 CTSV, 11 M3, 13 X5M, 15 SS, 16 Denali, 17 CTSV and then the crown jewel 18 Hawk. The most trouble free vehicle I've had. I'm closing the deal Friday on a Ford Explorer ST, I know it won't have all the power of the Hawk but I'll settle for a while. I always have the wife's Trailblazer SS, the little 6.0 liter 390 HP AWD does pack a little punch.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You sound a lot like me. Though besides my TH I still have my 08Z06 and my 09CTSV. My dog's ride is an 04 Envoy XUV. It's great for dogs cause you can rinse out the back and the limo glass behind the rear seat keep the passenger compartment clean. It's for my Great Pyrenees and our Leonberger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts