Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will be a biased forum, hehe, but seriously, I can get them both for similar pricing, maybe a few thousand more for a new 2018 Trackhawk. From what I read the X3m Competition is 0-60 in the mid 3s range (BMW understates it at 4.0) which puts it up there with the Trackhawk. Won't have the torque the Trackhawk has but will be more refined inside I would think. I love music and I hear the X3m Harmon Kardon is 'okay' but not great. Is the upgraded Trackhawk Harmon Kardon great? I don't care about gas mileage really. I like a comfy interior but understand with a supercar SUV you can only get so much comfort. Reliability is important. Any advice on this important choice? Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
It might be a better comparison between the BMW X3m and the Jeep 6.4 GC SRT. They have similar performance numbers... I had a couple of GC SRT's and I could run 0-60 in 4.0 in both of them... Stock TH's are closer to 3.0 in the real world. (3.1's and 3.2's are easy, I've done 3.0 a couple of times.) That's 25% quicker.

Jeep understates their performance numbers too from my experaince. I have had 2 SRT's and 2 TH's, and never had any of them in the shop.

If you want slower and/or cheaper, get a 6.4 SRT or BMW X3m... >:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be a better comparison between the BMW X3m and the Jeep 6.4 GC SRT. They have similar performance numbers... I had a couple of GC SRT's and I could run 0-60 in 4.0 in both of them... Stock TH's are closer to 3.0 in the real world. (3.1's and 3.2's are easy, I've done 3.0 a couple of times.) That's 25% quicker.

If you want slower and/or cheaper, get a 6.4 SRT or BMW X3m... >:)

I used to have an 2008 SRT8 so I'm familiar with their performance. How is the audio and electronics interface in the Trackhawk? Any lag with the touchscreen interface? Harmon Kardon sound awesome?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I used to have an 2008 SRT8 so I'm familiar with their performance. How is the audio and electronics interface in the Trackhawk? Any lag with the touchscreen interface? Harmon Kardon sound awesome?
I'm sure there are better but the Jeep's sound systems are awesome to my ears. The touchscreen is quick but you need to have a steady finger to hit the right spots. I didn't buy the TH for the sound system, touchscreen or electronic features although I think they are all pretty dang good. I bought it for the pure performance. After having 4 Corvettes and 2 GC SRT's, the TH is clearly on another performance level by a long shot.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The X3 is small, especially 2nd row and hatch when compared to the TH. If that doesn’t mean much, they are close in performance.

Refinement and fit finish will definitely be on the BMW side of things. But I’ve also heard the comp M models ride a little rough... so ...

I’m not a big fan of the X3/4 look and much prefer the more menacing look of the TH over it.
That said, I’m one of the first on the list to drive the upcoming X5m at dealership when it hits the lot.

I’m thinking ahead as my lease on the TH is less then 10 months remaining and it’s on my short list of replacements.

I got away from BMW years ago, but they seem to have found their way again with the performance M’s and it has my attention lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Friend has an X3M and with a tune only it went 10.80 @ 127.

That being said i had an X5M back in the day and it was the biggest piece of sh_t i've ever owned. I'd never own another BMW out of or without a warranty.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Friend has an X3M and with a tune only it went 10.80 @ 127.
That would be one heck of an accomplishment with just a tune...:surprise:. But if we are going to compare apples to apples we'd need to see what a TH does with only a tune...

·
Registered
139 Posts
That would be one heck of an accomplishment with just a tune...:surprise:. But if we are going to compare apples to apples we'd need to see what a TH does with only a tune...
so. I'm not sure if you're questioning the validity of my statement by saying "Would be"....but for whatever it's worth see below.

And i wasn't mentioning it to say it's a "Better" vehicle then the TH. Just showing they can go very fast with some software. I'm sure a TH with a tune only goes fast also. I'd still take my stock TH over the tuned X3M as i just prefer the Jeep as it fits my taste better. But my post wasn't to say in any way that i feel the BMW is a superior vehicle. Just sharing some info that was recently brought to me on the subject of the thread.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The current crop of M engines really wake up with tunes.

And 127mph is going to give even an upper pulley tuned TH a run for the money. That’s moving.

But yes, I’ve heard same about the last X5, hoping that the new version is better. The current x3/4 and 7 seem to get good reviews.

·
Registered
346 Posts
All's I have to compare is the "stock" road test results that I've read to your friends tuned results. I've also seen the results of a lot of just tuned vehicles compared to totally stock at the track. You friends tune only gains would be the best I've seen.... Makes me want to get my TH tuned. :smile2:... I'd be interest to see what TH owners here have seen with just a tune to compare.

Of course, what's included in a "tune" can make a difference too..

·
Registered
531 Posts
2.85 upper on race gas is a mid [email protected] for a TH.

But we’re getting off base here ... lol

Either way, 127+ is freak’n moving for any suv. I see this decision coming down to size necessary and what “type” of suv you want.

Both are great choices.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Of course, what's included in a "tune" can make a difference too..
The car is stock. with a ECU Tune. it's a Tune or "Tune" or in another vernacular "The car is stock with a tune"

I don't understand why both of your posts are insinuating that something i'm posting is false, untrue, or that i'm leaving facts out.

A friend of mine has an X3M. It's stock with a tune. It went 10.80 at 127mph on a Dragy which i posted.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The OP was comparing a stock X3 to a stock TH not a modified or even a tuned vehicle.

As I was trying to say, your friends "tuned" gains from a stock vehicle were the best I've seen when compared to published stock specs. My issue with any such modifications is it's no longer stock.

EOJ for me....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those 2 cars are completely different animals. I have an 18 X1 and a 19 TH. You would have to drive both...ignoring the obvious here are my top 3 points:

-The electronics/interface in BMW suck. Wireless Carplay may be its savior but it's bad compared to Jeep.
-The Jeep feels a little cheaper in the interior but its more plush and comfortable on longer trips. The BMW is pretty bare inside - although the M seats are spectacular - cupholders still suck.
-If you care about gas...the BMW can be driven more economically.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Refinement and fit finish will definitely be on the BMW side of things.
I have to disagree here...if you get a TH without assembly issues the interiors are definitely more luxurious than an X3...not even close.
I test drove the Audi SQ5 Prestige last weekend and the TH was in another class of interior refinement and luxury.

·
Registered
69 Posts
-The Jeep feels a little cheaper in the interior but its more plush and comfortable on longer trips.
The TH interior feels cheap in comparison with an X1?? Not at all in my opinion, quite the opposite and by a long shot.

I still have to try seats more comfortable than the SRT/Trackhawk chairs....even my 2019 CTS-V Recaro (two and a half grand option) are not as comfortable.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have to disagree here...if you get a TH without assembly issues the interiors are definitely more luxurious than an X3...not even close.

I test drove the Audi SQ5 Prestige last weekend and the TH was in another class of interior refinement and luxury.

It’s a matter of opinion for sure, but I’ve owned a Trackhawk for nearly 2 1/2 years, and the leather is thin, will crack, and even wrinkle in spots, all of which are very common issues. Even my 2015 designo interior MB GL, which I also owned for 3 years, is light ahead of this interior, when speaking about the quality of material. The FCA leather really is a bargain basement product.

That said, I still absolutely love this truck. So not a big deal for me, but it is for some.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was comparing to the M treatment on the X3. The X1 is cheapo...also I dont have the upgraded leather in the TH.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My detailer recently got his wife a new X3M. Great looking SUV & they are both really enjoying it but for my needs & wants it's too small. The Trackhawk replaced my 2012 Diesel X5. My X5 had around 75ft³ of cargo space with the 2nd row seats laid down. The cargo space was a big deciding factor for me when looking at new SUVs. With the 2nd row seats laid down the X3 is just over 60ft³ & the TH is knocking on 70ft³. For a while I considered the Alfa Romero Stelvio Quadrifoglio but they have even less cargo space than the X3, coming in at around 56ft³.

I am really enjoying the TH so far. Harman Kardon system is great, I really like the interior & when you're not WOT it cruises nicely & in my option is a pretty d*mn good daily driver SUV. Of course my diesel X5 easily got double or more the fuel mileage of the TH but I didn't buy the TH for fuel mileage, haha. Leather in my X5 was very thick & help up great to any wear & tear. That is really the only thing that I don't like or should I say, makes me nervous with the TH, is how thin the leather is. As someone else mentioned, there is no way I'll own a BMW out of warranty again. I spent a decent amount of money maintaining & replacing failed diesel emissions parts on the X5.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It’s a matter of opinion for sure, but I’ve owned a Trackhawk for nearly 2 1/2 years, and the leather is thin, will crack, and even wrinkle in spots, all of which are very common issues. Even my 2015 designo interior MB GL, which I also owned for 3 years, is light ahead of this interior, when speaking about the quality of material. The FCA leather really is a bargain basement product.

That said, I still absolutely love this truck. So not a big deal for me, but it is for some.

I can show you the interior of my GC SRT after 5 years and 50K miles....seats are perfect, no cracking, no sagging whatsoever, no squeaks and no rattle. To be honest I'm a bit worried about your experience, did FCA cheapened the material when they introduced the TH?? I hope not. The dashboard leather seems better to the touch and the Laguna leather seems really nice as well.

The Audi RS5 I test drove yesterday (100K MSRP) had rubberized plastic for the dash and upper door panels only slightly better than a 30K Dodge Charger.

Audi will charge you 3K extra for an Alcantara headliner on a $130K car, my 2015 GC SRT had the Alcantara headliner as standard equipment and it is still perfect.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts