Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been eye balling the trackhawks since before they even were announced. One of my Viper buddies had a SRT8 Grand Cherokee and I got to play around with it a little bit.

When they were first announced I was all in on picking one up then saw the price tag and was like I’ll wait to get a used one. I find it hard to pony up nearly 90k+ for one when to me it’s basically a Grand Cherokee with a hellcat motor in it. It is still lacking a lot in the world of performance SUV’s (the luxury part that is) the power and performance seems to have me sold. I am still yet to drive one to see if they really can sell me on it. I currently have a 700+ WHP Viper ACR so power and performance is big to me. Having a trackhawk as a daily would be awesome!

Anyways here is where I am looking for some input... I’ve been watching them for awhile now and noticed they are still sitting on lots everywhere to the point where I have seen several of them at 8-10k+ off msrp. I’m wondering what kind of deals everyone is getting on them? I’m willing to pony up some funds to get one but want to make sure I am scoring on a great deal!

Also what did everyone do... lease or buy? I’m considering leasing...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just go drive one. After that, the only question is which organ and/or child do I have to sell to do this every day?!?!
LOL, Agreed! It' an awesome ride. I have a Gen5 Viper and use the TH as a daily. Not the type of vehicle I personally would lease. It would be a shame to have to surrender it in a couple of years. The first SRT8 GC I purchased was a 2006 and daily drove it for 13 years and loved every minute.

Also the new Track Hawk is not just a GC with a HC motor in it. There are a lot of other improvements that went along with that conversation. I would like to suggest to do some research before making a choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, it’s not just a Grand Cherokee with a HC motor. The drivetrain went through a serious overhaul. It is seriously heavy duty. Does it rate a $100k price tag? That’s up for debate. But, the amount of money it would take to build that drivetrain definitely puts it in that $90k area. Good luck in your search. Drive one and you will be sold!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well, it’s not just a Grand Cherokee with a HC motor. The drivetrain went through a serious overhaul. It is seriously heavy duty. Does it rate a $100k price tag? That’s up for debate. But, the amount of money it would take to build that drivetrain definitely puts it in that $90k area. Good luck in your search. Drive one and you will be sold!
I had posted this earlier in another thread:

According to the following article FCA did “beef” up the transfer case:

How JEEP made the TH stronger

·
Registered
157 Posts
Plenty of deals to be had. Kooks dealership is offering close to 15K off on their loaded ones. I ended finding mine with 5K miles with all the options (99K retail) at obviously a much better deal than that. I have not driven one but I have a friend with a charger and the hellcar engine with its whine sold me on which SUV I wanted (was beating between GLC63 coupe and Alfa Stevio).

It's on a truck making its way down south and should arrive next week.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The leather is definately nicer t its also $5k . The trackhawk should have come standard with leather at the prices they are asking for the jeeps. Just my 2cents . I dont have the leather uprgarde in mine and its fine but the other seats nappa suede are comfortable. The problem i dont like about the standard seats are the leather on the bolsters is pre maturely wearing mine has 700 miles one month i daily it. My driver seat looks terrible already . I dunno if the leather options is more durable . But thats the biggest dissapoint with the th so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
new here thanks to Lil Hemi for introducing me to the forum!
I have sat in a friend's granite TH here in Houston - it was very nice and fair luxury for a daily driver. Sound and the force of the torques is a sell.

I am looking for a granite/silver/black TH with red leather and HK audio. I don't care for the sunroof option but it does give the nice black alcantara type roof lining.

It's almost 2019 and there are 800+ 2018 THs on dealer lots acc to cars.com that may need to move soon - I'm targeting Black Friday and end of month/year as times to pull trigger. There is a red one for $16K off sticker but that's too much red.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wondering the same! Is the leather upgrade package worth it to those who have sat in both?
The power sold me and the upgraded seats sold my wife on the TH. I didn't order them in the 2017 GCSRT I had but would have if I had sat in a vehicle with them. I would not buy the Jeep without the upgrade but I do think $5K is too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With the current discounts, the upgraded leather is a no brainer. I test drove with both interiors. The upgraded leather was just more comfortable and seemed like it would last longer and wear better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just received my new to me TH (used 2018 with 5K miles) and I would agree that the upgraded interior is really needed. (I come from owning Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and BMW) so 5K did not even seem high to me for the upgrade but I understand it is new and steep for a Jeep.

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
Agreed. Sepia is easily the best. I’m just glad we didn’t have to pay extra for it.
I opted out of Sepia at the last minute... I am still on the fence if I would have liked it in person or not, had only seen it in pictures. But my biggest regret is that when I decided to go with Black, that I did not go ahead and upgrade the leather... So now I find myself constantly watching eBay for a take out interior from a totaled one...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I find it interesting when people are on the fence about this car because it is 90k or so. There are zero SUV's that can beat the TH on performance within 50 k of the TH price. Even the Levante or Cayenne top models are still slower at a150-160k price tag. So the real question is are those cars worth 50-70 k more for "nicer interiors". As far as options go the TH has all of the bells and whistles, aside night vision. My issue with the trackhawk is that mine was 100k and it is a lemon. After being on here for a while it is apparent that too many of these TH's have issues and at that price point it should not be the case. First run or not.With my TH going back to FCA I began looking at every SUV out there and none of the high end models seem worth the prices to try to get close to the same power.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. Care to expand what they are (if it's on another thread, let me know and I will search for it).

Bad news ie cars being lemoned will always grab more attention on the forums and it sucks you had to be the one as it tarnishes your whole experience.

It appears there are at least 6K units on the road, plenty have already heavily modded them and I do not see an overwhelming amount of people having to do a buyback. I come from the german side of cars and even paying double will not make you immune to first year issues and buybacks, I know quite a few guys with 911GT3 giving their car back because they did not want a brand new engine in their car due to the recall. All I see for the Jeep is the ECU, mats and keyfob recalls, maybe I am missing something. I will admit that open throttle issues some are experiencing is frightening me and I hope this gets resolved quickly.

I hope mine will be solid, it already has 5K miles from the previous owner and I will await 6 months before I get this thing to 1,000hp :).

·
Registered
412 Posts
All I see for the Jeep is the ECU, mats and keyfob recalls, maybe I am missing something. I will admit that open throttle issues some are experiencing is frightening me and I hope this gets resolved quickly.

I hope mine will be solid, it already has 5K miles from the previous owner and I will await 6 months before I get this thing to 1,000hp :).
There are some guys who have nuked their transfer case with stock power. Now, I have no clue how they are driving/racing them. I put mine in Track Mode before doing standing-start runs, as that takes some TQ away from the TC and puts it to the rear, which is a good thing.

There are some issues with the moonroof, or whatever they call it, squeaking and rattling. Poor alignment of some body panels (mine has this... it is worse on my '18 TH, compared to my '15 SRT), and other things that we would assume would not be an issue with an $85k+ vehicle. These are QC issues.

I had both my belts disintegrate at 1300 miles... the regional engineer at FCA told my dealer (he was on site when I had it towed in) that there were a bad batch of belts installed from the factory. I'm now at 3200 miles total with no issues since. I love this thing, and hope it is reliable for a long, long time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. Care to expand what they are (if it's on another thread, let me know and I will search for it).

Bad news ie cars being lemoned will always grab more attention on the forums and it sucks you had to be the one as it tarnishes your whole experience.

It appears there are at least 6K units on the road, plenty have already heavily modded them and I do not see an overwhelming amount of people having to do a buyback. I come from the german side of cars and even paying double will not make you immune to first year issues and buybacks, I know quite a few guys with 911GT3 giving their car back because they did not want a brand new engine in their car due to the recall. All I see for the Jeep is the ECU, mats and keyfob recalls, maybe I am missing something. I will admit that open throttle issues some are experiencing is frightening me and I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Started day 1 with a weird nosie that they had to keep car for a week to find, while searching for the source they found it had leaking struts, Went to fuel line recal where it was at dealer for over 45 days, transfer case blew, encoder motor went, front half axles went and there are other grunting and thud sounds that they can't figure out. There are a few of us on here that have had lemons and even one guy who had two TH lemons already. it is my DD, so I went with something else more luxury than sport.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts