Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most straightforward means for an owner to view whether timing adjustments are being done? or have been done?

We have 90 octane fuel maximum in Alaska. The consensus is not to worry about it. I have put octane boost in it in the past, but not sure if it is needed. I would like to know.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The only way to monitor those this is to datalog how the vehicle is running. Also through what ever means you are useinv to tune the car. You can work with a reputable tuner and they should show you what changes have been done to the cpu . Octane can also be tested. Since you are in alaska i dont know where you can talk to someone about tuning but im in Mi you could try livernois or Demon here they are both vendors. Hope i helped

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Purchase the MPVI2 here with 0 credits.

http://ostdyno.com/products/electronics/

You wont be able to tune your vehicle until you unlock your PCM, install a bypass and purchase credits but you can monitor everything I can as a tuner with the included software.

Thank you Mike. I was checking it out and just want to confirm - this unit comes with software and how do I connect to it? Is is software I download to a laptop? Is it a USB connection or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Thank you Mike. I was checking it out and just want to confirm - this unit comes with software and how do I connect to it? Is is software I download to a laptop? Is it a USB connection or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This unit does come with the required software to tune and log your Trackhawk. It currently connects via USB to your computer but has bluetooth capabilities to hopefully will soon be fully functional.

·
Registered
75 Posts
HPTuners is a breeze to use and once you gain a small understanding, it becomes extremely addictive watching what your car is doing.

Also a big thumbs up to Mike from OST Dyno. He's doing a great job on my Trackhawk.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Is this something that will be practical to see timing without a Dyno or second person watching while driving (under load)?

Does it allow for resetting codes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Thanks guys. Is this something that will be practical to see timing without a Dyno or second person watching while driving (under load)?

Does it allow for resetting codes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes and Yes!

You can drive and data log for as long as you like, save the log and then review it over a cup of coffee or a cold beer later that evening.
You can also reset codes, change gear ratios, reset adaptives, recalibrate your tire size etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes and Yes!

You can drive and data log for as long as you like, save the log and then review it over a cup of coffee or a cold beer later that evening.
You can also reset codes, change gear ratios, reset adaptives, recalibrate your tire size etc.
Great - thanks! I just placed my order.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Great - thanks! I just placed my order.
Awesome and I did get your follow up email with the shipping address modification.

Start watching some videos on datalogging with VCMeditor so you have an idea what you will need to do when you receive your tool.
We have a few videos on using HPtuners. They are not all good quality but they will help you get started.
Subscribe to our youtube channel for video updates.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike,

Thank you. I received the unit. Very professionally done unit and packaging - pretty impressive.

I hooked it up last night. I cannot download from VCM Editor - is this because my PCM is locked?

I successfully used VCM Scanner to log a quick session in my garage. I see both spark advance and retard. Can you point me in the direction of how I can learn what to look for to see if crappy Alaska gas is impacting my timing/performance?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Matt,
I am glad to hear you received your MPVI2! They are great little units and will be very impressive one all of the scheduled "add ons" are available. HPtuners just announced yesterday that the "Pro" cable will be available at PRI - https://www.facebook.com/HPTuners/photos/a.371472769560198/2503549213019199/?type=3&theater

In any event to answer your questions:
1. Unless something has changed you will not be able to read you tune without a security bypass cable (also available on our website). There really is no need to read the tune until you have your PCM unlocked. If you want a copy of a stock Trackhawk tune file to look at just shoot me an email and I will send you one.
2. Concerning what VCMscanner parameters to watch I say as many as you can :) - you will want to log at a minimum RPM, Actual Spark, Long term and Short term KR, Aircharge, ECT, IAT, Speed etc. If you see KR in the logs that is a good indication of low quality fuel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts