Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,

Took a 2018 for a test drive, my wife actually drove it too, and she's pretty happy. I need to address a couple of questions and then I think I'm clear to buy so hoping someone can help?

- There's a beautiful gurgle to it, which is pretty noticeable in the back seat. Question is - how is it on long trips, do you notice anything from the engine vibrations and most importantly do back seat passengers notice much?

- How's the fuel economy MPG around town on ECO, or what is the best way to squeeze the best economy around city?
(I know, I know, that is not why I'm buying it you'll help me get it if you can answer this one)

About me: I've had three Grand Cherokee Limiteds in the past. First two were more serious offroad and the last was the V8 350 which I loved. The TH is definitely another few levels up, so I'm keen!

·
Registered
7 Posts
In town about 10-11mpg, went on trip last summer to Florida got between 17-19mpg in ECO mode. Don't know about back seat noise.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm not sure what the "gurgle" is you mention. Do you mean it has a nice rumbling sound? Then yes, it sounds like a high performance car all the time. IMO it's pretty quiet until you punch it... But I've been driving high performance cars for the last 20+ years so I really don't notice it.

They are lots of performance cars out there and all have trade-offs or selling points. Depends on what you are looking for. Gas mileage isn't a selling point for TH's. But if you want something that is comfortable, luxurious, gadget filled, that can carry four or five people and/or lot's of stuff that will outrun just about anything of the road, then maybe the TH is right for you. For me, I get about 16 mpg on the average but 90+% of my driving is done on the open highway at 70 to 80 mph avg (min 0:)). With a GVWR of 6600 lbs, the aerodynamics of a brick and a 700+ hp engine, it's amazing it gets gas mileage as good as it does.

·
Super Moderator
896 Posts
All really good feedback, thanks. Yes gurgle in a good way = nice rumble!!
that gurgle is between shifts? I call it farts, lol
gas milage is low real low not even gonna kid you. I have company gas card so gas is free and I still hate it cuz I am at the gas station all the time (lazy or busy depends you point of view)
I avg 9MPG but I do all city stop light stuff

·
Registered
178 Posts
The noises it makes will grow on you the longer you drive it, especially under boost. :). It will get the gas mileage that came on the original window sticker if you drive it conservatively, oh yeah I think the ECO button might work too;-). It gets better mileage than the pickup I drive everyday so that's a plus, just depends on what you think is good. I've always owned vehicles that have required Premium fuel so it isn't much different than most of those.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I may be imagining things, but it sure seems like mine got louder at 500 miles. Or I just blew the cobwebs out of it when finally able to give it full throttle a few times yesterday.

On a very positive note, the mileage according to the Lie-O-Meter is now over 15 mpg, despite cruising at 80-plus and doing several 60-120 mph bursts.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My MPG is 10.5 on a good week. I don't drive a lot of miles a week but that's what I get for modding this truck. I honestly don't care about the gas, the throttle in this truck makes you laugh when you get on it. Hands down best vehicle I have ever owned.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hello Forum,

Took a 2018 for a test drive, my wife actually drove it too, and she's pretty happy. I need to address a couple of questions and then I think I'm clear to buy so hoping someone can help?

- There's a beautiful gurgle to it, which is pretty noticeable in the back seat. Question is - how is it on long trips, do you notice anything from the engine vibrations and most importantly do back seat passengers notice much?

- How's the fuel economy MPG around town on ECO, or what is the best way to squeeze the best economy around city?
(I know, I know, that is not why I'm buying it you'll help me get it if you can answer this one)

About me: I've had three Grand Cherokee Limiteds in the past. First two were more serious offroad and the last was the V8 350 which I loved. The TH is definitely another few levels up, so I'm keen!
If you're concerned about MPG's this is the wrong purchase. This will be the most fun you'll have in an SUV hands down but I wouldn't get caught up in the gas mileage as it doesn't exist. I'm a very spirited driver (and you will be too once you feel the power) and I average 9-10 mpg's in the city. Highway driving I can squeeze out 12 maybe 13. But again, this isn't made for MPG's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes not a gas mpg friendly about same 10- 11mpg like my BMW V10 M6 lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in! There's a pic, had it of a few days now. Thanks for all the feedback. Here's what I've learnt and looking forward to a whole lot more..

- There's no official run in process as the car self manages the run in cycle (didn't know that). I should expect it will get a little more 'throatier' after the cycles and it sounds way better than I had recalled. But then again I had been driving a hybrid hire car (I know, I am ashamed).

- Fuel economy: The important thing here is to address any of our hybrid driving friends comments:
1. "No it's fine, it has Eco mode" (Important note - turn it off but don't tell them)
2. Turn any reference to fuel economy off on the gauges
3. Drive and smile

I'm a little ashamed to say that I'm getting around 11.5mpg but I'm confident that as the engine opens up I shall be able to make that number substantially smaller.

Oh and you can turn all the interior lights off using the dimmer dial which makes it great for camping under the stars with a tailgate tent!

Awesome stereo also.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Nice sled. Enjoy it inappropriately!

Welcome to the gang.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts