Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's it, I'm done....after months, my TH fruitless chase stops here. My wife GC SRT is getting close to needing brakes and tires so I'm dumping few thousands on it end keeping it few more years (car is in tip top shape).
For the first time in my car purchasing history, I cannot manage to get anywhere close to 10% discount on a 2019-2020 TH optioned the way I want (Premium Stereo, Leather Package and Sunroof). I always bought my cars for at least 12-13% discount.
The COVID crisis seems non existent when it comes to buying a TH, dealers won't deal, I contacted them all around the western US. When they hear "88+ tax and registration" they do not even ask for my phone number. Either they are playing a game of chicken holding on prices to avoid to appear desperate or the car crisis is not as severe as the media is trying to depict...all I can say is that I did not perceive even a little whiff of "desperation"....if dealers are just putting an act, they deserve an Oscar.
I went to a local dealer few weeks ago to check one TH in the showroom (with Seattle already in lockdown) there were 3 or 4 salesmen chitchatting around a desk...they saw me come in, check the car and leave...no one came to say "Hi, can I help you?"...if, anything, they acted like the good times were even better, it was like walking into a Porsche dealership
Evidently supply is limited enough that there are enough people willing to get only few thousands off MSRP to get the 700 HP SUV (I lost already 4 or 5 cars) I even saw still some cases of second stickers on THs out there....to my surprise a Texas dealer I contacted few weeks ago sold its two 99K Trackhawks within a week locally....Texas is supposed to be oil bust land right now....
Sorry folks, the TH ain't a Ferrari or a Porsche, these things drop like rocks as soon as you turn a corner leaving the dealership, they are not collectibles and they will become yesterday news...I will not pay through the nose to get one.

Interestingly, "across the parking lot" at FCA, Maserati and Alfa dealers are desperate to sell the Stelvio and the Levante SUV. I considered the Stelvio Quadrifoglio (which is a hoot to drive but too small for us) and I have one guy calling me often after I test drove this beautiful Ferrari engined black Levante GTS...luxury inside is on another level and the thing is actually very quick with its Maranello twin turbo V8, it is truly a magnificent luxury SUV, very polished.. ..that black Levante has been sitting on that dealer lot for well over 6 months now, it stickers for 130K, they already publicly offer almost 20K off and my understanding is that you could even try to get it for a touch over 100K....and let me tell you, between 94-95K that Jeep dealers offer for the TH and a touch over 100 for a Levante it would be a no brainer to me....

So that's it......now the Jeep dealers I contacted better not coming back in 1 or 2 years if they cannot unload some left over 2019 or 2020 TH and agreeing to 88K because they are not going to get it....current left over 2018 money if they are lucky
At this point the best course of action would be to get a lightly used one from a compulsive car flipper that dealers are desperate to sell and going for the kill...but I'm not so sure, the TH so far defied all my car buying beliefs.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
you are a car buyer or you are a car shopper! it seems like you are a shopper you like the hunt and the deal? from this short post thats what i see at least. I am a buyer if I want it I am buying it. I will set limits but very loose ones lol.
the stupid Covid drama will not affect the TH and why prices are still the same. If you want luxury the TH isnt it thats for sure. you are paying for brute power and neck snapping TQ in a pretty cool yet old body style. I still love it personally. Good luck on the next one.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I understand your struggles and I think we all went through a bottle to get what we wanted. Good luck and I hope you find what will truly make you happy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are a car buyer or you are a car shopper! it seems like you are a shopper you like the hunt and the deal? from this short post thats what i see at least. I am a buyer if I want it I am buying it. I will set limits but very loose ones lol.
the stupid Covid drama will not affect the TH and why prices are still the same. If you want luxury the TH isnt it thats for sure. you are paying for brute power and neck snapping TQ in a pretty cool yet old body style. I still love it personally. Good luck on the next one.
I'm a car buyer but I'm willing to pay for a toy up to up to a point.

·
Registered
685 Posts
As a guy who's been driving for a loooooonnnnnngggggg time, and has owned a LOT of cars/trucks/SUVs, I understand your plight. However, if you're looking for low cost of ownership/maintenance, you should run far away from any Maserati. Their resale is not good, and their typical maintenance will definitely be a lot more than a typical TH. Probably the insurance will too.
I currently own a Ferrari 488, a Mercedes S-Class cabriolet, BMW Alpina, and several vintage cars. Basically, I have owned one of just about anything fast, luxurious, and/or interesting over all my many decades.

IMHO, buy your daily driver after careful comparison of all the players, and wrangling all of the deals, rebates, etc that you can manage out of the dealer.

But, for a fast toy...I never let a few scheckles stand in my way of something I want. Sometimes, not even a bunch of scheckles.

It works for me.

Best of luck in your search for the best vehicle for you.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
242 Posts
I was lucky found 2018 Trackhawk been on dealer lot from 01/18 til 04/19 when I went to buy. Had DVD, sunroof, Harman Kardon stereo, Ivory tri coat. 3 season tires, black satin wheels MSRP $95565 walked out the door $75500 no tag or tax. Dealer had been driving it for a few months, but I got the MSO as new car 1st owner. Got 85K/7Year Max Care $1980, I've seen a few that are new with low miles. But I haven't bought a vehicle local in almost 9 years. Bought my 2014 Chrysler SRT in Pennsylvania December 2014 corporate car with 2700 miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As a guy who's been driving for a loooooonnnnnngggggg time, and has owned a LOT of cars/trucks/SUVs, I understand your plight. However, if you're looking for low cost of ownership/maintenance, you should run far away from any Maserati. Their resale is not good, and their typical maintenance will definitely be a lot more than a typical TH. Probably the insurance will too.
I currently own a Ferrari 488, a Mercedes S-Class cabriolet, BMW Alpina, and several vintage cars. Basically, I have owned one of just about anything fast, luxurious, and/or interesting over all my many decades.

IMHO, buy your daily driver after careful comparison of all the players, and wrangling all of the deals, rebates, etc that you can manage out of the dealer.

But, for a fast toy...I never let a few scheckles stand in my way of something I want. Sometimes, not even a bunch of scheckles.

It works for me.

Best of luck in your search for the best vehicle for you.
I know that Maserati are not inexpensive vehicles to maintain, I checked the insurance rates for the Levante and it is not that much higher than a TH. A local Maserati dealer is running a free maintenance program. On top of that Maserati is offering a 0% financing (4% on the TH if you go through Chrysler Financial) and you do not have to fight for a loaner during service, something it would irritate me buying a 95K Trackhawk.
I'm not saying that I would buy a Levante, it's just the situation that made me thinking...on one side the TH where getting a good deal is almost harder than a Porsche and on the other side a beautiful and fast truly luxurious SUV with heavy discount and motivated sales force...from the same manufacturer.
I like cars but I have the discipline to draw a line no matter how much I want something...I have other priorities as well not just fast cars.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Levante GTS is a very nice luxury SUV. I still prefer the Trackhawk but I get your frustration with the process. I think the TH production #s have significantly declined from 2018. I haven’t been focused on the market since I got mine a year ago, but it just doesn’t seem to be the same backlog of TH inventory out there on dealer lots. With tons of cheap money out there for borrowers, the cost of carrying that inventory isn’t as pressing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know that Maserati are not inexpensive vehicles to maintain, I checked the insurance rates for the Levante and it is not that much higher than a TH. A local Maserati dealer is running a free maintenance program. On top of that Maserati is offering a 0% financing (4% on the TH if you go through Chrysler Financial) and you do not have to fight fro a loaner during service, something it would irritate me buying a 95K Trackhawk.
I'm not saying that I would buy a Levante, it's just the situation that made me thinking...on one side the TH where getting a good deal is almost harder than a Porsche and on the other side a beautiful and fast truly luxurious SUV with heavy discount and motivated sales force...from the same manufacturer.
I like cars but i have the discipline to draw a line no matter how much I want something...I have other priorities as well not just fast cars.
Last April I got a left over 18 for 15k off sticker, my Truck was equipt as you described, Roof, Radio, lightweight black wheels, stickered for 92,800. I find it hard to believe that you are not able to find this same deal today. I think if you look hard enough and not in your local state you should be able to find your deal. I will say this, I have owned several high performance vehicles and the Trackhawk is 100% one of the best for the buck (c63 mercedes, BMW M5, 3 vettes).. After 1 year of ownership and modding the $hit out of this thing there is not another vehicle on the market now that is of any interest to me.You mentioned 4% interest rate, If you cant find a better rate then that your not looking hard enough. You should be able to get 2.75% right now there are several credit unions that will give that rate. Regardless, there are a lot of ways to finagle the price of the car through negotiations or bettering your finance rate. Look for a left over 2019 that is you best bet today. oh, call and ask for the sales manager next time, dont deal with the middle man sales guy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Last April I got a left over 18 for 15k off sticker, my Truck was equipt as you described, Roof, Radio, lightweight black wheels, stickered for 92,800. I find it hard to believe that you are not able to find this same deal today.
I did find hard to believe it myself but this is exactly what is happening...I can still get an excellent deal on a left over 2018 but I do not want a 2018.

I think if you look hard enough and not in your local state you should be able to find your deal.
I'm looking all around the Western US.

I will say this, I have owned several high performance vehicles and the Trackhawk is 100% one of the best for the buck (c63 mercedes, BMW M5, 3 vettes).. After 1 year of ownership and modding the $hit out of this thing there is not another vehicle on the market now that is of any interest to me.You mentioned 4% interest rate, If you cant find a better rate then that your not looking hard enough. You should be able to get 2.75% right now there are several credit unions that will give that rate. Regardless, there are a lot of ways to finagle the price of the car through negotiations or bettering your finance rate. Look for a left over 2019 that is you best bet today. oh, call and ask for the sales manager next time, dont deal with the middle man sales guy.
Yes I can get 2.7% through a local Credit Union.....I was just pointing to the 0% Maserati financing incentive vs. none available on the TH.

·
Banned
391 Posts
...on one side the TH where getting a good deal is almost harder than a Porsche...
As I recall, you started this search so long ago that you could've ordered one to your liking and had it built well before the shutdown.
I don't remember if we ever got into details on pricing, but I had three dealers with offers at over 10% off MSRP when getting the second 'Hawk.

I do remember pointing out that getting a good deal on an ordered Porsche (even a 911 Turbo S) wasn't hard either.
Not knowing how you go about car shopping, it's hard to tell why you're not succeeding when others are.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Last week, I had a crew of guys at my house installing additional security cameras. So, they got to see all of my cars. What surprised me was that out of everything I have (see my list, plus there's more not listed) the 20-year-olds in the crew were the most interested in the TH. By a lot! They barely even glanced at my Ferrari.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
As I recall, you started this search so long ago that you could've ordered one to your liking and had it built well before the shutdown.
I don't remember if we ever got into details on pricing, but I had three dealers with offers at over 10% off MSRP when getting the second 'Hawk.

I do remember pointing out that getting a good deal on an ordered Porsche (even a 911 Turbo S) wasn't hard either.
Not knowing how you go about car shopping, it's hard to tell why you're not succeeding when others are.

You are correct Jimmy, actually the best offer I ever got was from the dealer in Virginia you suggested for ordering one....still not the price I wanted to pay but way better than any other dealers with TH already in inventory (and paying financing charges for it).

I never shopped for a 911 but I negotiated a Macan for my wife's friend years ago and I was able to get a good deal for it.

My wife GC SRT stickered for 71K and I got it for 62.5 (12% off) getting KBB/NADA money on my trade.....if there is a dealer offering that today for a TH I will sign the papers now.

My car shopping method is pretty simple, I call dealers and make my offer. The best I ever got for a TH priced between 97.5 (the minimum with the options I want) and 99.5 (tow package and titanium finished wheels in addition to these options) was between 4 and 5K off. 88K is my absolute limit..not because I cannot spend more but because it;'s a reasonable discount to ask considering how much money you lose on a car with depreciation...you need to draw a line that that is mine.

I think it's simply a matter of very tight supply and the TH still getting a lot of media buzz ("the most powerful TH in the market" even if it's not the fastest). I can imagine dealers becoming very motivated to sell if a Red Eye version ever hit the market stealing the limelight and the TH becomes yesterday news.
The absolute lack of any domestic competition does not help either. The Maserati Levante plays in a totally different segment where you have many options from the established European brands.

After all the early Hellcat cars sold above MSRP now you can get a 15% off a Charger Hellcat if you shop around.

At the very end of the day it's a matter of time.....I will do my GC SRT brakes and tires and get two years pause....and maybe i will be able to catch a left over 2020 optioned the way I want from desperate dealer for 80K or less....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last week, I had a crew of guys at my house installing additional security cameras. So, they got to see all of my cars. What surprised me was that out of everything I have (see my list, plus there's more not listed) the 20-year-olds in the crew were the most interested in the TH. By a lot! They barely even glanced at my Ferrari.
Kind of confirm my theory...after all the TH does not look any different from my GC SRT but the name "Trackhawk" still has a lot of buzz and that allows dealers to hold on prices...supply is tight enough that there are enough people willing to get whatever little discount the dealer offer to get their hands on the "most powerful SUV on the planet"....even if a Stelvio Quadrifoglio wipes the floor with a TH (but it was just too small for us).
Same story with the Hellcats.....you could not touch one below MSRP when they came out, now if you cannot get one for 10% off you are not trying hard enough....after all there were people willing to pay second stickers on PT Cruisers when they came out....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All valid points. So correct about the PT Cruisers!
Paying over sticker is usually dumb. But, there are many who do it.
Yes....build a small enough number of a $150K special version Grand Cherokee and you will have someone somewhere buying them.
Acura recently released a fifty thousand dollar "PMC Special Edition" of the TLX A Spec (no performance improvements, they claim that it's hand built and it has a "special" paint used in the NSX), a car I consider actually already overpriced at 25K, a joke of a sport sedan...but there will be some takers.....

·
Banned
391 Posts
I never shopped for a 911 but I negotiated a Macan for my wife's friend years ago and I was able to get a good deal for it.

My car shopping method is pretty simple, I call dealers and make my offer.
I've succeeded with a Cayman, a couple of Macan Turbos, and three 911 Turbo Ss. Even three Aston Martins.
It can be done.

Anyway, my shopping method is a bit different. I add up the price with options, call and ask "How much will this vehicle with an MSRP of $XX,XXX cost me?"
If they reply with "What options do you want?" it's a bad sign. I explain that it doesn't matter, but what the total is does.

With the successful purchases I'm generally told "Let me check with my sales manager". Then we take it from there, bypassing the salesman/woman.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With the successful purchases I'm generally told "Let me check with my sales manager". Then we take it from there, bypassing the salesman/woman.
I got to the "let me talk to the sales manager" phase few times for some of the TH but in the end no deal.....even got a few salesmen to call me back but to no avail...

·
Banned
362 Posts
While I try to get the best deal I can on my cars, I just don't let the price get in the way of what I want. To me + or - 10k on a 100k car purchase isn't going to change my mind one way or the other. Although, I've been mad at myself for getting a car that wasn't the color I really wanted or equipped the way I really want, the price never really crosses my mind. Now I do have my limits but since I drop 50 to 75k in Vegas on a weekend "sometimes", an extra 10k on a car ins't going to bother me. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes....build a small enough number of a $150K special vend Cherokee and you will have someone somewhere buying them.
Acura recently released a fifty thousand dollar "PMC Special Edition" of the TLX A Spec (no performance improvements, they claim that it's hand built and it has a "special" paint used in the NSX), a car I consider actually already overpriced at 25K, a joke of a sport sedan...but there will be some takers.....
You are correct Jimmy, actually the best offer I ever got was from the dealer in Virginia you suggested for ordering one....still not the price I wanted to pay but way better than any other dealers with TH already in inventory (and paying financing charges for it).

My wife GC SRT stickered for 71K and I got it for 62.5 (12% off) getting KBB/NADA money on my trade.....if there is a dealer offering that today for a TH I will sign the papers now.

My car shopping method is pretty simple, I call dealers and make my offer. The best I ever got for a TH priced between 97.5 (the minimum with the options I want) and 99.5 (tow package and titanium finished wheels in addition to these options) was between 4 and 5K off. 88K is my absolute limit..not because I cannot spend more but because it;'s a reasonable discount to ask considering how much money you lose on a car with depreciation...you need to draw a line that that is mine.

I think it's simply a matter of very tight supply and the TH still getting a lot of media buzz ("the most powerful TH in the market" even if it's not the fastest). I can imagine dealers becoming very motivated to sell if a Red Eye version ever hit the market stealing the limelight and the TH becomes yesterday news.
The absolute lack of any domestic competition does not help either. The Maserati Levante plays in a totally different segment where you have many options from the established European brands.

After all the early Hellcat cars sold above MSRP now you can get a 15% off a Charger Hellcat if you shop around.

At the very end of the day it's a matter of time.....I will do my GC SRT brakes and tires and get two years pause....and maybe i will be able to catch a left over 2020 optioned the way I want from desperate dealer for 80K or less....
speaking of which... any trackhawk redeye in the works? Not sure if I should keep the SRT and hold off to see if they release a redeye or upgrade to TH now...🤔

1 - 20 of 40 Posts