Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie Trackhawk owner here (used 2018, pearl black).
I will be driving my Trackhawk infrequently this Winter as I live at ~5000 ft. altitude, and they Salt the roads. I read somewhere that you shouldn't let a car sit for too long on the same tank of gas, so I'll try to drive it a little bit at least every other week.
My question is this: Is it advisable to switch to Ethanol-free 88 octane to reduce water uptake, or should I stick with the standard 91 octane (with with Ethanol additive)? I'm guessing 91 octane is the minimum, even at Altitude, but I haven't read through the manual yet.

- Matt

P.S. If they had an Ethanol-free 91 octane, I'd go with that, but I haven't found it locally in the Orem, UT area.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
242 Posts
I think they make Sta-Bil for ethanol gas that's what I would do. My son uses some kind of marine based Sta-bil for his boat which might be for ethanol free gas. Use 91 octane fuel.

·
Banned
391 Posts
Even after StaBil treatment, I've had gas go bad (could tell that a few vehicles didn't like it anymore) after two years.
Three of our vehicles don't get driven at all in the winter, and after adding some StaBil they are in "hibernation" for several months. So, you should have no problems.

Besides, I had no ethanol free 91 octane nearby, either, but put a 200 gallon tank on a trailer and went and got some.
That's not for the Cherokee, though.

·
Banned
391 Posts
Also worth noting, that tank had 100 gallons left in it when I emptied it to go get some ethanol free gas, and I was curious to see what was at the bottom.
After about two years of a steel tank sitting in the sun, with temps from -15 to 85, and temp swings of 50 degrees during a day not being unusual, it was a pleasant surprise to see that there was no separation of ethanol or water whatsoever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts