Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Allpar found a patent detailing a new automated airdam, created and filed on behalf of FCA by Mark DeAngelis.

The automated Air Dams would work in much the same way as the active grille shutters in place on other models. Flaps would open or close depending on speed and need for cooling, all controlled by the ECU.

Its thought that the new Air Dam patent could be relevant to the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk.

Hellcat engines notoriously demand heavy duty cooling and this could certainly be one way to force feed the engine even more cold air. The flaps look to be mounted down low on the splitter, instead of having the dams drop down from behind the slpitter FCA seems to be planning to cut flaps in the splitter, meaning they avoid the clearance issues that come from lowering and raising the air dams.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Such a cimplicated diagramf or such a simple concept. I still don't quite understand how it'll work but all the power to Jeep.

·
Registered
599 Posts
It's quite simple actually but if you've never seen something like this and never compared it to the real life object it is supposed to represent then it'll be hard to visualize it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
With it being so simple, it's hard to believe that it is something that could be deserving of its very own patent at this point. Simple, but apparently no one has done it before now.

·
Registered
599 Posts
It being so simple is probably why they wanted to patent it, since it could be easily copied with little effort, or just slightly changed so some other car maker can call it their own.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It being so simple is probably why they wanted to patent it, since it could be easily copied with little effort, or just slightly changed so some other car maker can call it their own.
So now other companies will have to pay Jeep to use it, or just not be able to use it. Or use it and then get sued. Ahh, business. It's such a wonder to behold.

·
Registered
599 Posts
So now other companies will have to pay Jeep to use it, or just not be able to use it. Or use it and then get sued. Ahh, business. It's such a wonder to behold.
That's if they deem is so important that they must reserve the rights to use it, but i'm sure they rather develop a system unique to them which they don't need to pay out royalties for.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's if they deem is so important that they must reserve the rights to use it, but i'm sure they rather develop a system unique to them which they don't need to pay out royalties for.
Sometimes very minor tweaks can amount to something different enough that you don't need to pay royalties. The whole system began with good intentions, but now is just fodder for lawyers.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I think that's just how it has to be at the start just to build the brands image and then they at some point scale things up enough to make a profit on vehicles sold, Model 3 and Model X might be part of that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think that's just how it has to be at the start just to build the brands image and then they at some point scale things up enough to make a profit on vehicles sold, Model 3 and Model X might be part of that.
In a way you can think of the company as a technology and research/development company. They make money off patents, and trading carbon credits since they don't use any really. After plenty of time building up those patents, production capacity, and branding, they can move into actually make money off their vehicles.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah that's the way I thought it would follow, scale in that production is also what will help them turn a profit, might just be an upward trend leading to that in the future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts