Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a TH which I eased over the 500 mile mark last week. Ok, I lied. We hauled ass over the 500 mile mark. Anyway, I digress. I can't get a 3.x 0-60 to save my life. Ambient temps in Texas have been pleasant and road surfaces seem to be fine. I filled freshly from a trusted source the other day (same fill ups as big block chevelle and 440 Charger, no detonation from them). From what I've seen on here, several other posters are achieving 3.xx without even using launch control? I read another OPs post where he couldn't break 5.0--mine isn't that bad, but I'm capped out at 4.4 and only got that one one time. However, nothing turns me off more than the thought of dropping my truck off at the dealer and telling the advisor that the truck is too slow, please evaluate. Might as just well give the dealer tech my pass to WANNAGOFAST in dallas and let him beat the piss out of my truck. Not that I'm one of those picky bastards who won't let someone else ride my pony, but I didn't strike a $100k check to let a dealer tech beat on my truck and then tell me that the truck is operating as per design.

Speaking of-what setting is everyone using for Launch Control for street tires? I've tried 2500 for fun, but the truck drives through the brakes and cancels launch mode. There's very little information about how to functionally use it--should we just set to the lowest setting and enjoy?

Many thanks in advance,

Tim Mason

·
Registered
365 Posts
Something doesn't sound right.

I live in Texas too and agree that air temps do matter. My best is 3.1 when it was in the lower 30's. Now I'm getting 3.3 to 3.5 consistently without using launch control and about 2000 rpm power brake with air temps in the low 60's to mid 70's and in track mode. Honestly I can break 4 with no power braking and maybe using 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in auto mode. As I've said before in other post, I fully expect to break 3 now that the truck is broken in, I just need to find some cold weather. I guess that will be December here in Texas, maybe.

Sounds like you may need to take yours in. Sorry about that, I feel the same as you about the dealers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Launch control is tricky. First time I tried it at 2,000, took off as well. Launch also cancels if you move the wheel even slightly. You have to stomp the accelerator versus pushing it slowly. I practiced at 1,000 rpm. I would NEVER EVER use at a street light for obvious reasons.

I have some street versus Las Vegas drag strip numbers I'll be posting in the next day or two. What is your best 60 foot?

Does anyone know if the TH computer compensates for altitude as far as 1/4 mile ET. Tried 1/4 mile on pavement once and got a 11.7 (about 45 degrees, stock Verde 4 season, track mode, no launch or brake torquing and just a little squeal and very little spin if any). If I use the altitude correction table for 3,500 feet, brings it down to 11.2 which seems impossible fully stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HC, I would recommend pulling up your Dyno page and taking a run at 0-60 and see what your horsepower is getting too, your situation sounds very familiar to mine. Check my post about Missing Horsepower....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hate to hear you are going through this.

Mine, thankfully, has been pretty much exactly what Car-guy describes his as in his post and I’m in Tx too.

Surprised also mine doesn’t eat nearly as much oil as some other hemi’s and Ls’s I’ve had - not to say that won’t change tomorrow.

Think I would do exactly Domn8r described.

If you need some data to compare to pls let me know and happy to do/ provide whatever.

FWIW - I had a 2006 SRT that was down on power from day 1 and Chrysler ended up sending a whole new engine to clear up the problem.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, here you have it. I couldn't be happier. Per the advice of DOMN8R, I went to the dealer who fixed his truck. Low and behold, mine was fixed too. It was the same repair, so they say (two key fobs and re-programming). I asked the service manager to road test it and verify it would run a sub 4 second run--he called back and said that he made a first run 3.5 with no launch control. I got it back last night and WHOA--what a difference! It was hands-down the best dealer experience I've ever had. I dropped it off and didn't bother them. The advisor was in constant communication and the car was done the business day after I dropped it--and it was CLEAN! I'm sending them all cookies today.

When my secretary brought it back, I only had a minute to go stab it, but I achieved a 3.4 and felt tires spinning on launch. Hopefully I can go play more this week. It is the most incredible non-purpose built car I've ever had.

DOMN8R, thank you for the great lead. I tried to PM you, but the admin has it disabled for people who have under 15 post count. When I asked the admin to unlock it, he sent me a d*ck message stating he doesn't make exceptions for anyone, and then proceeded to tell me that if I made fake or useless posts to increase count, I would be booted. I replied with my thoughts, so I'm fairly sure I'll be kicked off today. Regardless, thank you guys for your help. I'm glad I found the DOMN8R's story or I might have just assumed my truck was off the pace.

Many thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hccperformance, glad to hear you got that sorted! Would you mind asking the dealer for a TSB or what exactly they did? My dealer is cool but they have ZERO idea what I am talking about. Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kodiakz- I can't attach a PDF, something about a 20KB limit. I also can't PM. Can you PM me your email and I'll send you a copy of my repair order?

·
Registered
24 Posts
HC I hope you don't get kicked out of here, clearly you live by me if you used the dealer I use. I am stoked I could help solve your issue, as it was frustrating me to no end waiting for 8 days to get mine resolved, so helping you get it handled in one day is awesome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem with launch control

I can't get the hawk to hold the launch control once I touch the accelerator, no matter how hard I press the brake. I have run a 3.7 just messing around with a power brake, but I know she has more. In the videos they make it look so easy, but I must be doing something wrong.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
That’s strange. You press the launch control button and it tells you to mash the brake right? Does the center display change to a brake pressure reading next? Should ask you to press the accelerator next. Punch it to the floor, HARD and then get off the brake immediately. If that still doesn’t work, check the RPM that launch control is set for. Start at 1700 (factory setting). It seems to be very particular about being on level ground but that the only issue I’ve had with the launch control. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
600 miles and used launch 3 or 4 times works perfect. One it didn’t hold but I didn’t have break all way in. Steering wheel has to b straight. You feel break bottom out on floor. Then gas to floor then let of break and liftoff. 3.3 sec on a muggy humid 70s day Sometimes I use power break to less than 2000 and runs consistent 3.5. But every now and then ONLY 3.7 or even 3.8 on a serious attempt No one has tried to race me yet

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can't get the hawk to hold the launch control once I touch the accelerator, no matter how hard I press the brake. I have run a 3.7 just messing around with a power brake, but I know she has more. In the videos they make it look so easy, but I must be doing something wrong.
Make sure you are getting your brakes warm enough to hold the load is putting on your car... i do a hard stop from 60-0 to warm tires and brakes.... Set the LC to liek 1500 or low as ****... You dont need much!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am having the same problem. I just rolled over 800 km, here in Canada. I tried to launch it for the very first time, followed all the instructions, and she pushed right through the brakes. I traded in my 2014 Jeep grand Cherokee SRT for this one, and I am very familiar with the launch mode. I am disappointed, and would really like to resolve this. Under settings, all drivetrain and all settings are red in track mode. Everything looks ready to go, so, nice straight Stretch, wheel straight, Price Alarms, brakes to floor reading ~9000/20000kpa, And mash the accelerator. As soon as I mash the pedal, it rolls right through the brakes. In my SRT, the brakes were locked up tight and she just sat there ready to pounce. This one does no such thing. I tried a 0 to 60 mph from standing just in track mode on the straight stretch, and came in at 4.1. I will need to take it back to the dealership to get them to check it out. Does anyone have a work order or job order that describes this problem that I can forward to the dealership?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts