Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got curious and looked at the factory air box. Kinda wish I hadn’t because I can’t leave it like this now that I know. Ordered a Legnaker intake just now since to me, it seems like it has the smoothest internal path for the air. Anybody already have one on their TH?!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Just checked it out on their website, it sure does look cool in carbon fiber. With the cover shown in the image, it is blocking the view of the full CAI. They should have another image to show the full CAI without the cover on it. Is the .1 to .2 off of the 0-60 time or quarter mile? It doesn’t say. While 18-22 hp improvement is nice, it’s half what DDR has claimed at a 40 hp improvement. I wonder how accurate these numbers are, as I’d have a hard time believing that one CAI is literally double the performance over another. They do basically the same thing with minor variations from one to the next.

·
Super Moderator
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I’m not so sure that I have full faith in the numbers provided but it seems like the intake is a pretty big restriction and after I looked at the OEM setup, I just couldn’t leave it as is. I looked at livernois, bwoody, legmaker, K&N and the one from Kuwait (DDR I think) and I liked this one the most. I’m planning on installing without a tune so I’m not thinking I’ll feel a big difference but there’s just no way I’m leaving it stock after seeing it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I’m curious if you’ll notice a difference. The CAI is one of the only mods that I’ll do, as I have no intention of voiding the extended warranty I bought. If I can add an extra 40-50 hp with just a CAI and exhaust, that’s good enough for me.

Is Mopar coming out with the CAI and exhaust for this? That’s what I previously had on my SRT8.

·
Super Moderator
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We shall see. I too, am not keen on voiding the warranty on this since it’s a bit above what I’ve paid for cars in the past. I voided the warranty completely on my Evo but already was preapared to drop a new motor in it if needed (thankfully the boys at AMS Motorsports seem to know their stuff) but I’m a little more reserved on Lil Hemi. Then again, the stock power to weight ratio wasn’t even close. After mods, the Evo “should” be faster but I’m so happy with the jeep “as is” that I’m hesitant to mod. The motor is tried and tested but the rest of the platform is too new for me to trust what the tuners as saying is doable. I prefer tried and proven results (that’s why I went with AMS for the Evo). That being said, I’ve opened the Pandora’s box of fiddling n probably won’t stop.
Cheers

·
Registered
185 Posts
So I got curious and looked at the factory air box. Kinda wish I hadn’t because I can’t leave it like this now that I know. Ordered a Legnaker intake just now since to me, it seems like it has the smoothest internal path for the air. Anybody already have one on their TH?!
LOL…
I laughed when I read this. This is exactly what has happened to me and it should come with a disclaimer =

WARNING! - If you don’t plan to purchase a CAI right away, it is advised that you don’t remove your stock air filter or airbox to take a peek. If you do so, you will be buying an aftermarket airbox kit at your own expense.

We are having this same discussion in this thread:
http://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/...6-new-product-development-super-exciting.html

I have looked at Legmaker’s intake and I like it, I just wish they had more pictures on their site. When you get yours in, please post some pictures of it without the cover plate so we can all see what it looks like.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol. Yup, once you see it, it cannot be unseen. I’ll post some pics once it arrives. I’m guessing two weeks or so.

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
Lol. Yup, once you see it, it cannot be unseen. I’ll post some pics once it arrives. I’m guessing two weeks or so.
Its likely to be a bit longer. He hand makes these and had a HUGE rush of orders a lot greater than he expected so I would GUESS likely closer to 3 weeks...

I have had Legmaker intakes (or the predecessor "Hammer" intakes) on all of my cars going back to 2004 and they are worth the money and the wait.

Do they make the full HP #s claimed? Maybe, maybe not. I don't believe he is intentionally misrepresenting them but even back to back dyno runs with no changes can vary things. Even just letting the car cool off 30 minutes while installing it and then running pass 2 can make a big difference just off of the temp more than the intake.

Bottom line, its a quality piece, Chris (Legmaker) stands behind them and will answer questions or concerns should they come up & they will DEFINITELY increase the sound of the SC whine.

To me its worth it just for all of that so any additional HP is a bonus on top, it could be minor, it could be great, but either way it improves the fun factor.

Can't wait to get mine!

·
Super Moderator
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I had a feeling that it would need to be manufactured which is going to take time. I read through his whole bio story on his website and decided it was the one for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to say anything negative about the HP gain claims, every intake I’ve ever bought makes various claims. For me, the smooth, tapered design is what makes it better than others. The rest have a reducing coupler or some such abrupt transition in diameter. Now comes the hard part, waiting for it to get here. Luckily, I did full bolt ons to my car not that long ago, so I developed some patience waiting on everything to arrive.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I installed the bwoody on mine yesterday... it was a *****... The arm must have warped out of position to the throttle body. And i am pulling in some really warm air... Deff looking for another solution!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looking forward to getting mine as well. I ordered the second it was on the site. I am sure they will start shipping soon! Legmaker always makes a quality product. After installing a catback from Solo Performance, I need to hear my blower whine more...the **** thing is so quiet stock.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was in Florida last week and visited Chris (LegMaker) at his shop. He gave me the grand tour and showed me how he makes the carbon fiber tubes. Very detailed art to make a tube. He puts a lot of time into getting everything right. He has also invested a ton a cash into equipment to make these. One mold ran him several thousand dollars and he has to use a different mold for each car. Some like the Hel Cat require two different molds because Dodge dropped the mass air flow sensor after the 2015 model run.

He had a bunch of the tubes for the track Hawk already made and ready to ship. Only thing holding back shipping is a vendor he outsources to make one of the brackets is running late getting them to him. My intake is with those ready to ship once the bracket arrives.

Far as HP gains with the LMI intakes. His intakes have proven themselves many times through independent testing at the track and racer feedback. I use his intake on my 2013 426 stroker Challenger. I cut 2 tenths off my quarter mile average back when I changed to his True Cold Air CAI. Many racers at the MSHS races claim the same. Maybe why LMI intakes are the most popular CAI at the MSHS races and seem to be installed on most of the winning cars.

LOL...had to edit the word H-E-L-L to "Hel Cat" because the site censored it...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wonder what’s going on that caused it to be a pain to install. Did you watch this YouTube? The guy gives a pretty good step by step.

https://youtu.be/1trJIS1X3c8
The arm that attached to the coil pack was warped out of position... Either during the weld or the powder coat... So i had to install it.... Uninstall it... Guess on the adjusmtnet of the arm... Try installing it again..> See how much more adjustment... Had to do that like three or 4 times to get it to work... There isnt much tolerance in the one tube at the top of the instake... Not much slack in that pipe....

·
Registered
110 Posts
LOL...had to edit the word H-E-L-L to "Hel Cat" because the site censored it...
Wtf? I wasn’t aware of this. What a joke. They should probably change the name of the motor as well. Replace the cat emblem on the SC with a bird. Lol

I thought this site was part of Vertical who also own the hellocat.org site(forced to spell it as hello..:grin2::grin2:)

·
Super Moderator
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, whomever gets their intake in first has to post pics before and after install. I’m already starting to get twitchy just waiting on this thing to arrive.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts