Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen a thread on this particular forum in regards to removing the CD player from the center console. Coming from a 2019 Raptor, which had a reasonably-sized studio apartment for a center console, I just can't do it - not for an accessory that I'm not likely to ever use.

So, I've set about removing it, and replacing it with the empty console. Not a massive undertaking. I've already received the console itself (part # 68212884AA, for those who don't know), but I've noticed that several people have mentioned not having a wiring harness for the light that the new console includes, and absolutely no one has commented saying that they've resolved that issue.

As such, I've located and ordered the wiring harness our trucks include when they are not equipped with a CD player - part # 68369646AA - and I'll keep you posted on whether or not it works! I'm hoping for something simply plug-and-play, even if it does require a bit more disassembly than just replacing the console, but it doesn't look like a very large harness. Fingers crossed!

Also, I was interested in purchasing the normal-style lid, with the tissue holder, etc. After a couple of hours of digging, I haven't been able to find the right part number for my specific color (sepia), but I'm not sure that I care - for the $1099 MSRP (going rate of around $700) for the other colors, I'll keep my tissues elsewhere, thank you very much!

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
even with the CDC/DVD player out that box is still small I agree. the glove box is just as bad. Interesting your going thru all that work for lil space and less value. (I get it resale is not why you buy a TH)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
even with the CDC/DVD player out that box is still small I agree. the glove box is just as bad. Interesting your going thru all that work for lil space and less value. (I get it resale is not why you buy a TH)
The CD player takes up a bit over half of the space - so, double the space is much more usable than the sliver of console I have now, and is well worth the ~hour I’ll put into it. Besides, I’ll still have the stock parts, if I cared to revert the changes before selling or trading in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the flip side of the coin - as humans we tend to use the space we are given (just look around your house) so having a small console hole, less thing get lost...… :p
Well yeah, but there's a limit... For instance, the insanely tiny pockets on my wife's jeans don't make companies suddenly sell smaller phones! Much the same as how the entirety of my tiny center console is being taken up by one small bottle of hand sanitizer.... and I might like to fit a pen or something else in there, too. Haha

The console on the Raptor was the sheer definition of excess - I could fit an entire paper grocery bag in there, or a large bottle of tide. Heck, I'm pretty sure I brought a medium-size watermelon home in it once. Both absurd and amazing at the same time. As a result, though, when I was using it as a reasonable person actually would, I often needed to bust out the light on my cell phone to find things in there. haha

You could always go “old school”
I definitely don't miss those days... I've never had anything quite that old, but I've had plenty of 80's cars. My Fiero was a prime example of having no storage, especially since those were the days when you actually had to carry your music with you.... Thankfully, I'm young enough to have been putting aftermarket CD players in my car since I started driving, but still old enough to have had the song from Dukes of Hazard on 8-track. :)

Personally, I still miss the glovebox from my Mazdaspeed 3. That thing was insanely large, for such a relatively small car!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts