Jeep Trackhawk Forum banner

Light weight racing battery

7K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  X+ Pilot 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed a Darrel cox racing battery ? It’s supposed to be 42 pounds lighter and more crank power than the factory battery. Just looking at a few simple options to shave off some pounds. Let me know what you guys think.

https://darrellcoxracing.com/

#3 ·
Not trying to set a land speed record with the TH and I don't think 40lbs would even shave 1/10th sec off of my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I don't even remove my spare, jack or tools when I'm making a run although I will wait until the gas is down to about half a tank. That saves me about 70lbs. If I was that serious about dropping weight from my TH's loading, I'd probably start by going on a diet and try to drop 30 to 40 lbs from my 230lb body weight. :laugh:

#5 ·
I certainly agree that it's unlikely that a lighter battery will do much to improve handling or launch times, but it is interesting to see how that modification would change the weight distribution. Not surprisingly, the right-front corner is the heaviest on the stock version of the TH (obviously with no driver or passengers). I've attached the weight distribution graphic created by the SavageGeese YouTube channel. If the Darrell Cox battery (~42 lbs lighter) is used to replace the stock version the right-front corner weight drops down to 1,520 lbs, which would make the right-front corner only 45 lbs heavier than the left-front. Of course, you then put a driver in the driver seat and the left-front is much heavier. Anyway, I just thought someone on here might find the weight distribution numbers interesting if they haven't already seen it or had their TH weighed somewhere.

Attachments

#6 ·
If I was going to do any kind of weight reduction, I would start with unsprung weight. Lights brakes, wheels and tires are a good start.

#7 ·
I've ordered one and looking forward to installing.

Along with the unsprung weight saving from the carbon ceramics of 40lbs plus 48lbs in wheel/tire combo and finally 40 odd lbs from removing the spare for racing that's a decent saving of close to 170lbs. I'd say that's good for a 1/10th off of the ET based on 1/4 mile calculators.

#8 ·
#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.