Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

481 - 500 of 501 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
So how noticable is the power difference/loss going from E85 to 93 octane now that you have switched?
not sure the difference between 93 and E85 but from 91 to E85 is night and day. It feels like 100HP difference but I was told by Thawmike (member here) that its around 80 HP difference.
I 100% believe that even though it feels like more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
not sure the difference between 93 and E85 but from 91 to E85 is night and day. It feels like 100HP difference but I was told by Thawmike (member here) that its around 80 HP difference.
I 100% believe that even though it feels like more.
Thanks for the input, I am still running on 🌽 E85. However it was 36F this morning warming up to 50F today, it will be up to 74F on Thursday then back down in the 40s on Saturday. 🙄

Not sure when to switch to 93 to advoid cold starting issues I hear about? I may just run a mixture of E85 and 93 during the cold winter months (flex fuel tune) instead of running straight 93 octane.

I know you guys are in warm states, but any input to what is a good in tank "target" E content number to hover around for good cold weather starts while also keeping the additional octane benefits of ethanol? Not worried about producing max hp as it just spins all 4 tires in the cold anyway.

Have read anything from say E60 and up you are getting the main knock resistance benefits of running ethanol (just not full hp output).

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
Not cold here either but that fiinterchiller can replicate the scenario and it does seem to cause issues when starting. I'd start an individual thread about this particular issue or search it. I think it’s been discussed before. Google will even take you to the proper thread. Cheers.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My TH is stock, but I own several classic (1960s) performance cars and I'd love to find NON-ethanol here in Commiefornia. When I can, I fill-up four 5-gal cans with leaded race gas, but the nearest station to me is 60 miles away. So I have to use it sparingly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not cold here either but that fiinterchiller can replicate the scenario and it does seem to cause issues when starting. I'd start an individual thread about this particular issue or search it. I think it’s been discussed before. Google will even take you to the proper thread. Cheers.
Yes, I have the larger "race spec" Killer Chiller interchiller setup that can get the the intake air stupid cold, however I am not running the a/c system since it has been in the 40s around here lately. 😨

Oh, and I found quality E85 last week for 1.53/gal so I thought I won the lottery. 😃 Used the GasBuddy app with the selected fuel type as E85 to find it ....... because the built in Jeep navigation doesn’t show prices for E85 obviously.

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Nobody will ever beat the price I got on E85 one time. They entered the price as 0.179 instead of 1.79. Was a super cheap tank.
I got passed by a C8 today on the way to work but he didn’t want to play when I caught up though 😢

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Yes, I have the larger "race spec" Killer Chiller interchiller setup that can get the the intake air stupid cold, however I am not running the a/c system since it has been in the 40s around here lately. 😨

Oh, and I found quality E85 last week for 1.53/gal so I thought I won the lottery. 😃 Used the GasBuddy app with the selected fuel type as E85 to find it ....... because the built in Jeep navigation doesn’t show prices for E85 obviously.
I am thinking I need the stage 2 for my interchiller. last summer on the super hot days 110 or so it seemed like my AC was weak like it was blowing kinda half ass cool air. def not cold air.
I dont need IATs lower but I need cabin temps colder lol. Did you notice any difference or did you start with stage 2?
I also want to pipe that IC to my seat I need AC seat not just air.

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
I am thinking I need the stage 2 for my interchiller. last summer on the super hot days 110 or so it seemed like my AC was weak like it was blowing kinda half ass cool air. def not cold air.
I dont need IATs lower but I need cabin temps colder lol. Did you notice any difference or did you start with stage 2?
I also want to pipe that IC to my seat I need AC seat not just air.
I noticed it to but only when sitting still. If I’m moving, it works like a champ and I only saw it happen over 100.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
I noticed it to but only when sitting still. If I’m moving, it works like a champ and I only saw it happen over 100.
yes same here it was only super hot days over 100 and I was or always am in stop go traffic. But this was not like this before stock AC worked great.
I was told in my tune to turn the fans on high all the time. Not sure why they need to be on high all the time didnt make sense to me so didnt bother.
I will see this summer how bad it bothers me and probably order the stage 2
probably should do it before summer to be safe, just want to make sure thats the fix and not something else.

·
Super Moderator
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
It’s because you have much more refrigerant and the same sized heat exchanger for the AC. Turning the fans on simulates the jeep moving and air passing through that heat exchanger. If the system cannot expel the heat via the exchanger, your cabin AC gets hotter.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
It’s because you have much more refrigerant and the same sized heat exchanger for the AC. Turning the fans on simulates the jeep moving and air passing through that heat exchanger. If the system cannot expel the heat via the exchanger, your cabin AC gets hotter.
yea I get that part but why would I want it on high now in winter? or even in the summer why would I want it on high first thing in AM. I kinda get it in summer your keeping it at starting temp longer so it wont heat up as fast but its still gonna get there no matter what? am I missing something?

·
Registered
75 Posts
yea I get that part but why would I want it on high now in winter? or even in the summer why would I want it on high first thing in AM. I kinda get it in summer your keeping it at starting temp longer so it wont heat up as fast but its still gonna get there no matter what? am I missing something?
All good discussion here..... in saying that, yes you do need airflow for the heat exchanger work cooling everything off. However you should not need your fans on high all the time, especially right at startup. Now that is assuming you are talking about your radiator fans and not the in-cabin HVAC fan correct?

My tune has the radiator fans running on high only when very warm outside or after extended periods of idleing on very warm days. That only lasts a few mins then they slow right back down from the highest fan speed to low speed again. (Tune for 180°F thermostat)

Oh and my AC cabin temperature is very cold like stock on hot temperature days.

I would first look to see if you can better optimize the system you already have.

You could have the refrigerant charge checked in your system to see if it is possibly low before spending more on a stage 2 system.

I have extra pipe insulation on the A/C and chiller tubing and maybe that is helping me on hot days? I know it's "COOL" to be able pop your hood and show your buddies the frost buildup on the intercooler coolant lines. But that is just a place of thermal loss that could be insulated to improve performance and put less strain on the total A/C system possibly affecting in-cabin performance.

Also what refrigerant is in your A/C system? Some installers switch refrigerants when installing a chiller system to save money, but I am not sure you can do that and not suffer a system cooling performance loss. Mine is recharged with the same refrigerant as stock. Y1234 IIRC

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you have the FI thermal supercharger spacers installed? I just pulled off my supercharger and in the process of installing the S/C spacers on my Hawk to further increase the chiller performance by reducing the heat load strain put on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
All good discussion here..... in saying that, yes you do need airflow for the heat exchanger work cooling everything off. However you should not need your fans on high all the time, especially right at startup. Now that is assuming you are talking about your radiator fans and not the in-cabin HVAC fan correct?

My tune has the radiator fans running on high only when very warm outside or after extended periods of idleing on very warm days. That only lasts a few mins then they slow right back down from the highest fan speed to low speed again. (Tune for 180°F thermostat)

Oh and my AC cabin temperature is very cold like stock on hot temperature days.

I would first look to see if you can better optimize the system you already have.

You could have the refrigerant charge checked in your system to see if it is possibly low before spending more on a stage 2 system.

I have extra pipe insulation on the A/C and chiller tubing and maybe that is helping me on hot days? I know it's "COOL" to be able pop your hood and show your buddies the frost buildup on the intercooler coolant lines. But that is just a place of thermal loss that could be insulated to improve performance and put less strain on the total A/C system possibly affecting in-cabin performance.

Also what refrigerant is in your A/C system? Some installers switch refrigerants when installing a chiller system to save money, but I am not sure you can do that and not suffer a system cooling performance loss. Mine is recharged with the same refrigerant as stock. Y1234 IIRC
I emailed kirk last night about the stage 2 and he called me back instead. dude has the best customer service. he mentioned to look at refrigerant levels. I used stock stuff also.
he also mentioned to check sensor placement. I will check both of these but I know they are good my IC temps are low. I know my problem I drive in stop and go traffic. I have a 15 min drive to and from work but its stop and go all the way. I am gonna check the fan setting also. Kirk didnt think I needed the stage 2 just turn fans on. He said stage 2 is more for serious racers or people that live in AZ etc. it gets hot here but not AZ hot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I emailed kirk last night about the stage 2 and he called me back instead. dude has the best customer service. he mentioned to look at refrigerant levels. I used stock stuff also.
he also mentioned to check sensor placement. I will check both of these but I know they are good my IC temps are low. I know my problem I drive in stop and go traffic. I have a 15 min drive to and from work but its stop and go all the way. I am gonna check the fan setting also. Kirk didnt think I needed the stage 2 just turn fans on. He said stage 2 is more for serious racers or people that live in AZ etc. it gets hot here but not AZ hot.
Yes the stop and go traffic would be the worst aspect of trying to keep your cabin cool in the summer heat. As you know you need plenty of airflow across the A/C condenser to cool effectively.

Another question as I cannot remember, what hood do you have? My raised cowl Black Ops hood lets a ton of engine compartment heat out of the back of it. The rear raised cowl portion near the windshield is open enough I can actually see the top of the supercharger lid while driving. It acts like a chimney pulling trapped engine heat out even sitting at a stoplight.

I was concerned at first so much cowl area heat may get pulled into the inlet at the base of the windshield and affect cabin A/C cooling. But it has proven to not be an issue.

Lil Hemi, sorry for derailing your thread. Always concerned about posting photos in someone elses build thread and cluttering it up, so I can easily delete these later.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Yes the stop and go traffic would be the worst aspect of trying to keep your cabin cool in the summer heat. As you know you need plenty of airflow across the A/C condenser to cool effectively.

Another question as I cannot remember, what hood do you have? My raised cowl Black Ops hood lets a ton of engine compartment heat out of the back of it. The rear raised cowl portion near the windshield is open enough I can actually see the top of the supercharger lid while driving. It acts like a chimney pulling trapped engine heat out even sitting at a stoplight.

I was concerned at first so much cowl area heat may get pulled into the inlet at the base of the windshield and affect cabin A/C cooling. But it has proven to not be an issue.

Lil Hemi, sorry for derailing your thread. Always concerned about posting photos in someone elses build thread and cluttering it up, so I can easily delete these later.

View attachment 8804

View attachment 8805
My hood is stock. I like that hood you have I am just to lazy to deal with that. or did yours fit no issues?
I like the wrap you have also. you need some carbon fiber front and back spoilers tie it all in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My hood is stock. I like that hood you have I am just to lazy to deal with that. or did yours fit no issues?
I like the wrap you have also. you need some carbon fiber front and back spoilers tie it all in.
I love the hood as it helps remove excessive engine heat and the carbon weave dark and light colors match even better than expected with the wrap color, black grill and the factory titanium grill ring color. The fit of the Black Ops hood was fantastic with no installation issues. Just don't buy a hood from Russia. 🙈

And I am way ahead of you on the matching carbon rear pieces. 😉 Already pulled off the viny wrapped Sarona mid spoiler and replaced it with a glossy carbon fiber one from Black Ops that matches the hood perfectly. Also ordered the upper carbon Black Ops wing back on Thanksgiving, just waiting on it to arrive.

20201121_163305.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
lol perfect. get some pictures up when all done. I want someone to make the sides once they do I will do front back and sides. Now I know the hood fits perfect maybe a hood also.

481 - 500 of 501 Posts