Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it happened to me today. Well not me fortunatually, but it happened to my Trackhawk. I was driving along steadily about 75mph and I felt the power just cutout. It took me about 5 seconds to realize the beast had gone into the dreaded limp mode. Power was reduced by over 90%. I could still putter along at ~70 mph on a flat road but max rpm was limited to about 2200 "in all gears". It was like driving an old VW uphill, against the wind while towing a 10,000lb boat. But at least it got me home (75 miles away). The CEL came on and the on-board diagnostic center said it had detected a major vacuum leak. When I got home I turned the engine off, waited two minutes and then restarted it. Seemed to run fine but the CEL was still on. Attached my trustee OBD scanner and saw 3 codes. Cleared them all and restarted again. No CEL this time. Made a few 0-100 pulls and all seems well. WTF!

This is the second time I've thrown codes in the past year only to find nothing wrong after clearing them. If it goes into limp mode again, I'll just pull over, stop and restart it and then clear the codes when I get home.....

Anyone else have this happen? If not, maybe this info will help someone out if/when it does.

Ghosts in the machine!

·
Banned
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I suspected it was just a computer anomaly so I didn't write down the codes. If it happens again, I will capture the codes and investigate. I've thrown codes on other vehicles too and I can only recall "two times" that it has turned out to something I needed to fix.

I guess all these sensors are a good thing but in my experience there are too many false positives. Personally I like analog gauges to tell me what's going on. Matter of fact, I checked all the gauges on the TH when it was in limp mode. Everything looked normal.

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
They matched codes?

Try to take a picture of each code next time before you delete them. Or run a datalogger, I don’t think you’ll find an intermittent issue without it until it fails completely. Does your scanner log data? Maybe look At MVPI2 if not.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well it happened to me today. Well not me fortunatually, but it happened to my Trackhawk. I was driving along steadily about 75mph and I felt the power just cutout. It took me about 5 seconds to realize the beast had gone into the dreaded limp mode. Power was reduced by over 90%. I could still putter along at ~70 mph on a flat road but max rpm was limited to about 2200 "in all gears". It was like driving an old VW uphill, against the wind while towing a 10,000lb boat. But at least it got me home (75 miles away). The CEL came on and the on-board diagnostic center said it had detected a major vacuum leak. When I got home I turned the engine off, waited two minutes and then restarted it. Seemed to run fine but the CEL was still on. Attached my trustee OBD scanner and saw 3 codes. Cleared them all and restarted again. No CEL this time. Made a few 0-100 pulls and all seems well. WTF!

This is the second time I've thrown codes in the past year only to find nothing wrong after clearing them. If it goes into limp mode again, I'll just pull over, stop and restart it and then clear the codes when I get home.....

Anyone else have this happen? If not, maybe this info will help someone out if/when it does.

Ghosts in the machine!
Got this on my end last night. Full throttle from a stop, my electronic stability control malfunction came on my display. check engine light on. I was able to drive the truck 10 miles to a parking lot near my house. Truck ran sluggish on the highway, I think as noted above was in 4th gear especially when I had to start from a stop at a light I could tell it was starting in a high gear. Truck said to put it in park as I was slowing down. Used my diablo hand tuner to clear the code. Once cleared it ran great again no issues. So I guess this is what limp mode is? this was a first for me. -- is this something that can be tuned out? or normal to go into a protect mode?

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
I suspected it was just a computer anomaly so I didn't write down the codes. If it happens again, I will capture the codes and investigate. I've thrown codes on other vehicles too and I can only recall "two times" that it has turned out to something I needed to fix.

I guess all these sensors are a good thing but in my experience there are too many false positives. Personally I like analog gauges to tell me what's going on. Matter of fact, I checked all the gauges on the TH when it was in limp mode. Everything looked normal.
I wish you kept codes. they tell you whats going on before you blow something up. driving with a CEL on and not knowing what it is is crazy? what if it was oil pump or something that would toast your whole motor.
anyways I am glad nothing happened and that scary for sure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
On my drive back across the country with my new Hawk, I was in Adaptive Cruise Control mode and suddenly the car went in limp mode and the warning "Throttle body control failure" appeared, very little power. I did pull over, turn off the engine, we got out of the car, lock it and unlocked to make sure everything did reset. Everything went fine, including the Adaptive Cruise Control except for the check engine light. I stopped at the closest Jeep dealership and after 15 minutes they told that is a well known issue that sometimes happen in the 2019 and 2020 TH. They cleared the codes and told me that FCA is evaluating if there are enough repeated cases to warrant a recall with a modified Throttle control module. Current policy is that if it does happen again in the same car they will replace the Throttle control module. The technician told me that the car will not let you stranded on the side of the road, just do not use the ACC if it does happen again until the unit is replaced. So far it did not happen again.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
32 Posts
Got this on my end last night. Full throttle from a stop, my electronic stability control malfunction came on my display. check engine light on. I was able to drive the truck 10 miles to a parking lot near my house. Truck ran sluggish on the highway, I think as noted above was in 4th gear especially when I had to start from a stop at a light I could tell it was starting in a high gear. Truck said to put it in park as I was slowing down. Used my diablo hand tuner to clear the code. Once cleared it ran great again no issues. So I guess this is what limp mode is? this was a first for me. -- is this something that can be tuned out? or normal to go into a protect mode?
From what you described you may have broke your axle....i hope your warranty can cover you

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
164 Posts
I have had a few limp mods with mine. Problem being the fuel pressure sensor. Launching and within 1sec the engine cut power, full power, cut power, full power, cut power and limp mode, transmission and must put in park. Kind of weird too, when stop and in park the TH didn’t want to recognize it was in park, had move the shift a few time throughout the gears.
The codes thrown where about fuel pressure error, transmission 2nd gear excessive, diff excessive slip, and 1 or 2 other things. Took TH to 1st dealership they said transmission is at fault. Then took it the import dealer of Romania, they said to change the fuel pressure sensor and we go from there.
Happily it was only the fuel pressure sensor which comes with the right side fuel rail. It was cutting almost full power when the engine and transmission where under full load, then the engine came back full power, which confuzed the transmission and traction control systems, which lead to false codes regarding slippage. TH has launched many times after fuel pressure sensor and never missed a beat except for when the low fuel light comes on. I get the same power cut, but i quickly let off cause i know whats happening, the fuel gets pushed out of the pump well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts