Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new Trackhawk owner here. Mine was a dealership owner demo and I bought it with ~2000 miles on it. First drive was impressive and I thought I was hearing the supercharger whine from stops. Had it a couple weeks now and pulled away from a stop light with the window down under moderate throttle and was surprised at the amount of noise coming from under the hood. The noise sounds to me like what unsynchronized gears in a manual transmission sound like (generally reverse). The sound increases with rpm (under 2500 rpm) and dips with transmission shifts. It does not make the noise from a cold start, but it's there once warmed up. It only makes the noise when moving, not when in park and revving the engine. I haven't brought it back to the dealer yet to ask if this is normal, but thought this forum would be a great place to ask. It seems to me like I should not be hearing supercharger whine under 2500 rpm at only moderate throttle.

Does this sound normal to others here?

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
super charger does not make a gear noise. it seems like thats what you are saying but the gear noise part throws me off. check power steering fluid that gives off a gear drive noise.
but honestly you paid a boat load for this truck take it to the dealer and let them figure it out and fix

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, thanks! No one so far has said this sounds normal or typical, so I guess I have my answer and a dealer visit is next.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lol, thanks! No one so far has said this sounds normal or typical, so I guess I have my answer and a dealer visit is next.

To me what you describe sounds like what I have. I hear mine the most at moderate throttle, lower rpms, under a load. And seems to be at its best at operating temperature. Wouldn't call it a gear noise, more like a whine, but could see how it could be described as gear noise. And this noise is no where near the same when doing free rev's in park/neutral. Like lil' said, do you have a CAI? I just have a drop-in with the observations mentioned above.

I assume you've heard all the trackhawk/hellcat s/c whine vids on youtube and yours sounds drastically different?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Code:
He said it wasnt happening when its in park, or even when revving the engine... So i doubt its the SC Whine....
S/C is likely decoupled in park and low/no-load situations, so one wouldn’t hear the same sound.

Mine has a CAI, so the whine is fairly prominent.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Take a video of under hood idle and post it.
Could be a bearing issue even though you may not think its there at idle.

Whats the build date on truck?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SpeedRacer333, this is exactly what I am experiencing. I have watched a bunch of youtube videos on TH/HC s/c whine and it seems like mine comes on sooner and is louder. I guess I just got "lucky" lol since others here wish theirs was louder.

I have a factory airbox.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts