Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What brake pressures do you guys see on the dash in launch mode?

My brake pedal is softish, even though I had bled it last week with DOT4 fluid. I can still get the pedal to bottom out on the floor under full braking. Some air bubbles came out during the bleeding process. Pedal feel had improved, but still isn’t super firm. The brakes also aren’t as effective as I’d like them to be. Part of it is perhaps the stock pads; will get that addressed with Z36 from and rear in a week or so.

But am I getting enough brake boost pressure if my reading is just around 1000 psi when in Launch Mode?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Can one of you’s get off you ass and put your ‘Hawk in launch mode and advise what the center gage cluster display is reading in terms of brake PSI?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a catch can? Check for a vacuum leak at the snout.
Thanks for the suggestion. No catch can though.

I will be installing Z36 pads all around soon and will change the fluid again. Hopefully it is just an issue of having some air or moisture in the system. But I am not holding my breath.

Knowing typical brake PSI value when in launch mode will give me some ammo to bring up with the dealer to have the braking system inspected.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
That seems a tad low. I remember seeing 1200ish but that was before the new engine. Been having intermittent brake issues along with a few other things ever since. finally ran it back over to the shop and they said they found a vacuum leak from the PCV to the snout, you might want to check that connection and the rest of them. Apparently it’s a reference for the brakes (don’t ask me, idk that’s just what I was told) and can cause similar issues. Once I couldn’t press the brake pedal hard enough for it to register on the LC. To me it felt like the power brakes weren’t functioning all the time. Are you 100% stock?

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Been a long time since I used LC so I don’t remember how high the pressure should read but I think you’ve got a small vac leak.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wonder if the brake master or slave cylinder is faulty and leaking a bit past the diaphragm?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the replies and potential issues to investigate.

As far as I know, the truck is stock. I am the 2nd owner, so that is just an assumption right now. I will inspect the vacuum lines to see if there are any obvious issues.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
The shop confirmed they found and fixed a vacuum leak. I’ve asked him to get me the brake reading from LC now to see what it’s at now.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Got my Jeep back and standing on the brake as hard as possible, I saw up to 1600 briefly but 1400 was seen steadily. I’m probably not the best comparison since I’m so far gone from stock though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my Jeep back and standing on the brake as hard as possible, I saw up to 1600 briefly but 1400 was seen steadily. I’m probably not the best comparison since I’m so far gone from stock though.
Thanks for checking it. That is between 380 and 580 more PSI than what I commonly see.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I checked mine. 1000 was typical, with 1200 coming up when I was standing on the pedal...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will once again bleed the calipers at the same time I will be installing the Z36 pads all around. Maybe there is still air in the system...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts