Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Old News)
Decided on the Livernois S975 package plus their CAT delete pipes and oil catch can, already had a JLT CAI and 180F thermostat. Got pricing for “mail order” do it myself and “turn-key” shipping it to them…..decided on the do it myself option. Installed CAT delete pipes, spark plugs, fuel injectors, supercharger pulley, balancer pulley and oil catch can. Had to ship engine PCM to Livernois and then had to wait in line for the Trans tune laptop.

Note - Timers are from the Performance Page.

(BeforePerformance Benchmark)
Before any of the 975 package install I benchmarked the performance at DA 425’ (JLT CAI and 180F thermostat were already installed) using the performance pages and timers.
Timers; 60’=1.48, 0-60=3.1, 0-100=8.0, 1/8et=7.3, 1/8mph=94, 1/4et=11.5, 1/4mph=118.
Per wallace racing calculators and using 5600 lbs the 1/8et=7.3 is 711hp, 1/8mph=94 is 723hp, 1/4et=11.5 is 728hp and 1/4mph=118 is 709hp, all the hp average to 718 hp at DA 425’ = Correction 1.0292.
DA Corrected Horsepower = 739.

(Initial After Performance Benchmark)
Timers;60’=1.36, 0-60=2.7, 0-100=6.3, 1/8et=6.8, 1/8mph=102, 1/4et=10.7, 1/4mph=127.
Per wallace racing calculators and using 5600 lbs the 1/8et=6.8 is 880hp, 1/8mph=102 is 924hp, 1/4et=10.7 is 903hp and 1/4mph=127 is 883hp, all the hp average to 898 hp at DA 2,091’ or Correction 1.0553.
DA Corrected Horsepower = 948.

Horsepower Increase = 209 which is right in line with Livernois advertisement of 220.

Using a pie tape on the pulleys;
Upper pulley went from 3.365” dia to 3.055” dia = 10% speed increase, and
Lower pulley went from 8.015” dia to 8.760” dia = 9% speed increase,
For a total of 19% supercharger speed increase…..the accessary pulley virtually remained the same.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Questions about the Mail Orders...

For those who have installed the upper pully….

Did you completely remove the SC, or just lift the front of it a few inches and insert a block spacer to support it while removing the snout?

Did you have to remove the wiper blades and ABS top cowling to access the long bolts on the back of the SC?

Does Livernois provide detailed instructions for the kit’s installation?

Any other tips about the install process that you could share?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
For those who have installed the upper pully….

Did you completely remove the SC, or just lift the front of it a few inches and insert a block spacer to support it while removing the snout?

Did you have to remove the wiper blades and ABS top cowling to access the long bolts on the back of the SC?

Does Livernois provide detailed instructions for the kit’s installation?

Any other tips about the install process that you could share?

Thank you
Overkill thank you for the questions.

You do not have to completely remove the supercharger you can just prop the supercharger up.

Wiper blades and abs cowling do not need to some off you can access the back supercharger bolts with that in place.

No we do not provide detailed instructions for any of the install. I am usually always accessible for any help though these are pretty straight forward. We have had everyone from the Novice backyard mechanic to the Seasoned veteran install these packages.

Only advice I can offer is go slow when drilling the crank and you need to clearance the ac bracket for the overdrive crank pulley make sure you have something to hold the snout pins to remove the old pulley and installing the new crank pulley and red lock tite the snout bolt on the backside of the snout between the snout pins that has no lock tite from FCA and we have seen them come loose.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to call text or e-mail.
Sincerely
Scott

·
Registered
204 Posts
Overkill thank you for the questions.

You do not have to completely remove the supercharger you can just prop the supercharger up.

Wiper blades and abs cowling do not need to some off you can access the back supercharger bolts with that in place.

No we do not provide detailed instructions for any of the install. I am usually always accessible for any help though these are pretty straight forward. We have had everyone from the Novice backyard mechanic to the Seasoned veteran install these packages.

Only advice I can offer is go slow when drilling the crank and you need to clearance the ac bracket for the overdrive crank pulley make sure you have something to hold the snout pins to remove the old pulley and installing the new crank pulley and red lock tite the snout bolt on the backside of the snout between the snout pins that has no lock tite from FCA and we have seen them come loose.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to call text or e-mail.
Sincerely
Scott
Thank you Scott!

I am a true DIY kinda guy which is why I have been trying to learn as much as I can before committing to the work. There is a lot of great info out already on the Hellcat forum about doing the upper pulley swap on our SC’s. I just haven’t seen anything directly related to the TH’s and what may be different in the process. One of my concerns with lifting the SC up is making sure the intake gaskets stay in place on the SC and don’t get torn, otherwise it will have to come off to replace them.

I certainly would buy the Metco tools to hold the pins and get the OEM pulley off. I am all for making my life easier!

Does the AC bracket just get bent for additional clearance for the crank pulley? Maybe someone could post an “after” picture to compare to stock?

I plan to contact you directly, but I think that posting here this helps answer some repetitive questions you may get related to the TH’s.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Does the AC bracket just get bent for additional clearance for the crank pulley? Maybe someone could post an “after” picture to compare to stock?
I found these instructions on the Innovators West site:

Overdrive dampers will require grinding on the factory air conditioner mounting boss (lower drivers side of the timing cover) and a bolt head for clearance (located at approximately 10 o’clock in relation to the crankshaft snout). Measure over 4.5” from the center of the crankshaft and make a mark on the front cover a/c mounting boss and the bolt head located on the passenger side of the cover. This mark will indicate how much of the bracket and bolt head must be removed for proper clearance.

I guess you would just have to place the pulley on crank and see how much clearance is needed at the marked locations and then start grinding…

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I found these instructions on the Innovators West site:

Overdrive dampers will require grinding on the factory air conditioner mounting boss (lower drivers side of the timing cover) and a bolt head for clearance (located at approximately 10 o’clock in relation to the crankshaft snout). Measure over 4.5” from the center of the crankshaft and make a mark on the front cover a/c mounting boss and the bolt head located on the passenger side of the cover. This mark will indicate how much of the bracket and bolt head must be removed for proper clearance.

I guess you would just have to place the pulley on crank and see how much clearance is needed at the marked locations and then start grinding…
Overkill nice home work.

There is no bending of a bracket it is for surely some grinding and it is not much. Once you do a dry fit with the balancer on you can see how much clearance you need on the bracket and bolt. We have done so many the mechanics know exactly how much to take off but for someone doing it there first time measure twice or clearance twice then fit and check clearance take some extra time and before you know it you will be an expert.

Thank you for everything.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(Note – the “calculated”948hp is based upon 2 wheel drive vehicle losses therefore actual engine hp wouldbe somewhere around 3-5% higher (995hp) for the AWD vehicle.)

Also here are a few pictures which may answer some questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thank you Scott and Wagoetzmann!

I probably spend more time doing my homework than actually doing the work in most cases. I just want to make sure I know everything that is involved before I am fully committed to the task.

For those that are interested, I did some more digging and I found the pictures I was looking for on the Hellcat forum last night thanks to DrBuick.

Without diving into engine schematics, I don’t know for sure what the bolt is holding but I was wondering if a low profile hex socket button head bolt could be used instead of grinding the head down? You would think if this was possible that ATI and/or IW would include the replacement bolt with their dampeners….

Does anyone know for sure if this is even a good idea? I can ask IW, unless you guys know the answer.

Thanks for all the help,
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome. Thank you for the additional pictures.
So you saying you did not grind on the bolt head in the pictures above and the IW pulley cleared it?
The pictures are both of the AC bracket grind done.....the bolt head at 10 o'clock was ground back some but I'm not sure it really needed to be....not a big deal....don't over think any of this.....its just a car....not brain surgery on your 1st born...... :smile2:

·
Registered
204 Posts
The pictures are both of the AC bracket grind done.....the bolt head at 10 o'clock was ground back some but I'm not sure it really needed to be....not a big deal....don't over think any of this.....its just a car....not brain surgery on your 1st born...... :smile2:
Ok Thanks.
That is the engineer in me coming out as we have the tendency to over think and analyze things. :wink2:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I say to everyone that I am doing this with a friend but I am basically holding his beer as he is the one who has a shop and is mechanically inclined ;). He is doing the same basic install on his hellcat and he will then tackle my TH.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I say to everyone that I am doing this with a friend but I am basically holding his beer as he is the one who has a shop and is mechanically inclined ;). He is doing the same basic install on his hellcat and he will then tackle my TH.
Emeric do not get intimidated by the amount of time and the removal of the front end with the Hellcat. The TrackHawk is a much easier job to do compared to the Hellcat. I will talk to you later do not forget to send me those pictures of what you have.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nice, I can feel your excitement! Like Scott said & from what I have seen on the Hellcat forum, pretty much the whole front end has to come off of the Challengers/Chargers just to pin the crank. As you have seen, the TH’s are easier to get to the crank so it should go a lot faster. If feasible, please take some pictures along the way of the progress. I assuming you will be sending you PCM to Livernois for them to program to run E85 w/ the S1025 package. I am also interested in the “remote tuning” of the transmission with the laptop. I want to do the same install, but minimize the down time as my TH is my DD (I might have to take a week off work to get it all done).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts