Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Just purchased our Trackhawk and it is making a faint but noticeable high pitched metallic tinkling type of noise. Almost like a very high pitched wind chime. This happens at idle, seems louder during a cold startup and seems to be concentrated on the drivers side of the vehicle in the lower part of the engine bay. Drove it over to the service write up area and had two service writers listen to the sound. One stated he had bad hearing and couldn't hear it, the other service writer said it sounded like normal exhaust sound. I have never heard any vehicle make this type of noise except when detonating due to having the timing advanced too far.

Anyone else have this noise? If it continues, I'm going to have the service manager listen to it the next time I am near the dealership. The Trackhawk runs strong with no issues other than this strange metallic noise at idle. I have about 400 miles on it at this time.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
246 Posts
All,
Just purchased our Trackhawk and it is making a faint but noticeable high pitched metallic tinkling type of noise. Almost like a very high pitched wind chime. This happens at idle, seems louder during a cold startup and seems to be concentrated on the drivers side of the vehicle in the lower part of the engine bay. Drove it over to the service write up area and had two service writers listen to the sound. One stated he had bad hearing and couldn't hear it, the other service writer said it sounded like normal exhaust sound. I have never heard any vehicle make this type of noise except when detonating due to having the timing advanced too far.

Anyone else have this noise? If it continues, I'm going to have the service manager listen to it the next time I am near the dealership. The Trackhawk runs strong with no issues other than this strange metallic noise at idle. I have about 400 miles on it at this time.

Thanks,
Adam
Have you ever had a previous vehicle with a supercharger? Could be just the supercharger - that's normal.

·
Registered
246 Posts
All,

Thanks,
Adam
Can you post a video or a sound clip so we can better understand what you are describing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try to catch it on video. First supercharged vehicle. I can hear that gear whine, but this sounds more like one of those aboriginal rain sticks than supercharger gear whine. I've also heard something similar to this in the past with an exhaust manifold/header gasket leak back in my early days. Think metallic rain sound. Randomly spaced. Not a constant interval, timed mechanical sound...

Thanks for your replies so far...

·
Super Moderator
1,779 Posts
Could just be something loose or some other factory defect, I’ve had a few. Oil filter loose/leaking, supercharger belt off a rib in the idler pulley, quad exhaust crooked, poor fitting interior panel. I hear some people have had a headliner issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is exactly what I heard before the oil pump went out. Dealer told me it was normal and would go away = then at 413 miles no oil pressure. They are replacing the engine but there are no engines available to replace it with

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are describing the same noise I hear when my TH is cold. I have crawled under car and I swear I hear the sound from drivers side cat. Once TH is warmed up the sound goes away. What say you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NHTHO, sorry to hear about your motor. Hopefully they get you a replacement soon.

Gooweea, yes, seems much louder on cold startup and I can clearly hear it on both sides. Once warmed up, much quieter and seems to confined to the left side. I tried to record the sound but all I ended up capturing was that wonderful exhaust note.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ok, tried to capture it the best I could this morning and it's coming through a bit better on this video. I shot this from right behind the driver side front tire, phone mic pointing towards the engine:

https://youtu.be/9gtiYLsx3XQ
That sounds normal to me, at least that's what I hear on mine. I believe that is the supercharger/belts turning. I have yet to hear a TH that's doesn't have that at idle. If this isn't the normal sound then add mine to the list of issues.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The first day that I got mine I had what sounded like a empty soda can hitting under the front suspension. I took it back to the dealer and they could not figure it out. It was mostly at a specific rpm and more in heavy acceleration and right banking turns. It took them over a week and having a Mopar troubleshooting expert fly in to find that the clearance on AC, tranny and brake lines were hitting the air box and a stud under the floor pan was hitting the exhaust. Good luck.

·
Registered
485 Posts
What the he!!? That's a weird problem, for sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you do a cold start and get under car and put phone near the cat it should sound louder.....then I would feel better that this is a normal kind of issue for us.

g

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe what you are hearing is the exhaust gasses blowing down the inside of the cold headers. This is very common with engines (vehicles) running with tubular still (shorties/long tube) manifold/headers.

Nothing to worry about 🙂

·
Registered
80 Posts
Most recent noise that I had resulted in a replacement front half axle....It was a clicking sound in by front drivers side wheel. Luckily the dealer had the part and it was out the same day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the input! At this point I am just going to drive it. I still hear it when it's hot as well, but it does sound more like pulley squeak once warm. Loving the Trackhawk so far. Had it a week today and have 750 miles on it already! I cannot stop driving it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts