Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry wasn’t specific but both oil lines attached to the oil filter housing were extremely loose and leaking. I’ve got just over 200 miles on the TH. This in my opinion explains the noise. I’ll find out more tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
All accessories help improve your car’s mileage, make it easier to control, and even monitor fuel consumption. There is a wide range of performance-enhancing car accessories especially Body Spied Inside , including after-market tires, cold air intakes, and tachometers. Performance enhancers, however, may have a negative effect on the car. For instance, they may affect insurance premiums.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm getting the same tinkling\squeaking noise on cold start. Here is the video. At around 1:35 the noise goes somewhat away, it's when the car warms up decently, it's still there, but not as much as on start, than after min or two, it completely goes away. Use HEADPHONE or EARBUDS for better sound distinction.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm getting the same tinkling\squeaking noise on cold start. Here is the video. At around 1:35 the noise goes somewhat away, it's when the car warms up decently, it's still there, but not as much as on start, than after min or two, it completely goes away. Use HEADPHONE or EARBUDS for better sound distinction.
Sounds normal to me. If you've never had a vehicle with a supercharger before your Hawk, this is a normal sound.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sounds normal to me. If you've never had a vehicle with a supercharger before your Hawk, this is a normal sound.
I had 03 Cobra before, but it never made this sound. I would understand if this sound was coming from the engine compartment, but its not coming from the engine, you can only hear it from underneath, the way I filmed it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had 03 Cobra before, but it never made this sound. I would understand if this sound was coming from the engine compartment, but its not coming from the engine, you can only hear it from underneath, the way I filmed it.
Yep, sounds just like mine. I don't hear anything different or cause for alarm. Go to your dealer and have them start one on the lot if you want a comparison.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So, I pulled up on the lift and the sound is coming for each of the catalytic converters, I guess that's how they are or there's something wrong with them. Leaving everything like that until something happens, if it ever does. Knock on the wood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you can, try to connect a portable diagnosis (CReader, Icarsoft) in the OBD port to read the DTC codes, if it gives any.

Cold sounds are not worrisome most of times, if it keep sounding when the car is hot (coolant and oil, approx 25 minutes after cold start) it is worrisome!! But not only in cold and dissapear later.

But in this case after a cold start, the catalysts are heating up to temperature and the oil pump pushing from the crankcase while the oil heats up and the fuel pump remains cold ... if the sound came from the front it could be the fan or if it is inside it could be tensioners and guides of the timing chain, but it comes from below, crankcase area and catalytic converters, so if it only sounds cold I see no problem: serious problems persist when hot or appear the hot car (that the normal state of evaluating a car is hot, both sound and behavior), so it seems to be cat hotting / oil pump pushing in cold. Absolutly normal under my point of view (if only sounds in cold).

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, I pulled up on the lift and the sound is coming for each of the catalytic converters, I guess that's how they are or there's something wrong with them. Leaving everything like that until something happens, if it ever does. Knock on the wood.
I'm late to the party on this so I know I'm reviving an old thread. Were you ever able to confirm if the noise is normal? I just picked up my Durango Hellcat and hear this exact same noise coming from my driver side cat, but not the passenger side.

I took it to the dealership to get it looked at and they confirmed my assumption that it's the cat making the noise, however they weren't able to replicate it since they didn't have any other Durango Hellcats or Trackhawks on the lot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm late to the party on this so I know I'm reviving an old thread. Were you ever able to confirm if the noise is normal? I just picked up my Durango Hellcat and hear this exact same noise coming from my driver side cat, but not the passenger side.

I took it to the dealership to get it looked at and they confirmed my assumption that it's the cat making the noise, however they weren't able to replicate it since they didn't have any other Durango Hellcats or Trackhawks on the lot.
This is the supercharger you are hearing and yes, it's normal.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Download the Jeep "2021 Grand Cherokee Performance Features Guide". The ticking noise is explained on page 62.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is the supercharger you are hearing and yes, it's normal.
It is NORMAL I can confirm. I had dealership start another Trackhawk for me when I went for a service. But I don't see anywhere that is says it's coming from supercharger. Noise is down where the cats are and supercharger is all the way up top. Alot of people might be mistaking one noise for the other, I have a feeling. I can tell you this much, my brother had similar ticking noise when he installed 'thin' walled stainless steel exhaust, but not sure how much that matters here.

Again, I'm not trying to start anything, but I don't believe it's supercharger, supercharger is up top and noise is coming from below where cats are.

·
Super Moderator
2,146 Posts
I’ve heard of people having issues with clearance of a cat from factory. It contacts the jeep or something like that. Have them check to make sure the cats have adequate space.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep it's definitely not supercharger noise. They let me in the service bay when they had my truck on the lift and the noise is definitely coming from the cat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update from my end. The dealership is ordering a new driver-side cat to swap out and see if that's indeed the culprit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Update from my end. The dealership is ordering a new driver-side cat to swap out and see if that's indeed the culprit.
That's exactly where my noise is coming from based on video I posted, however even brand spanking new Trackhawk sitting on the lot had the same noise when I asked them to start it up for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's exactly where my noise is coming from based on video I posted, however even brand spanking new Trackhawk sitting on the lot had the same noise when I asked them to start it up for me.
I listened to a Trackhawk and it didn’t make the same noise my Hellcat does. It’s weird because mine didn’t start making the noise until about 50 miles; first test drive was quiet.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts