Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How exactly do you launch when you get your best times?
Launch control? What RPMs?
Manual brake? What RPMs?
Or just launch from idle?
Auto, sport, track?
Traction control on or off?

Just wondering the most likely setup to get the fastest times on average?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just foot brake mine to about 1300rpm and let 'er rip. If its middle of the day and the concrete surface is warm, I can tach it up to 1600 or so. I do not use Launch Control. It is consistent, but it doesn't result in the best times for me.

I run in Track mode or my Custom Mode which is street suspension, but Track for Transmission. Under 50^F, I consistently get 0-60 in 3.1-3.2... stock vehicle. Once it gets to 80-90^F, I will see 0-60 in 3.4-3.5.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice times!! What about traction control?

I just foot brake mine to about 1300rpm and let 'er rip. If its middle of the day and the concrete surface is warm, I can tach it up to 1600 or so. I do not use Launch Control. It is consistent, but it doesn't result in the best times for me.

I run in Track mode or my Custom Mode which is street suspension, but Track for Transmission. Under 50^F, I consistently get 0-60 in 3.1-3.2... stock vehicle. Once it gets to 80-90^F, I will see 0-60 in 3.4-3.5.

·
Super Moderator
2,296 Posts
If you go into the setup screen for each mode, I’m pretty sure you can “save” it to where it stays off

·
Banned
362 Posts
I've posted this several times before in other threads and my "preferred method" has not changed. I've probably tried just about every combination of power braking, different mode settings, launch control, rpm settings, etc, etc... For me now, I just turn off traction control and and mash the gas. I do keep my left foot on the brake and release it at the same time I use my right foot to mash the gas. I'm consistently getting 3.1 and 3.2s that way. I got a 3.0 once or twice when conditions were perfect. New tires, 30 degree weather, 1/2 tank of gas and I launched from a concrete surface. Using just about every other mode/setting/gimmick gets me 3.3 and 3.4s.

As it turns out this is really great since if I'm at a light and want (need 0:)) to make quick launch, all's I need to remember is to punch one button (turning off traction control) and I'm ready to smoke anything that's next to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you just in auto mode?

I've posted this several times before in other threads and my "preferred method" has not changed. I've probably tried just about every combination of power braking, different mode settings, launch control, rpm settings, etc, etc... For me now, I just turn off traction control and and mash the gas. I do keep my left foot on the brake and release it at the same time I use my right foot to mash the gas. I'm consistently getting 3.1 and 3.2s that way. I got a 3.0 once or twice when conditions were perfect. New tires, 30 degree weather, 1/2 tank of gas and I launched from a concrete surface. Using just about every other mode/setting/gimmick gets me 3.3 and 3.4s.

As it turns out this is really great since if I'm at a light and want (need /forum/images/JeepTrackHawk_2015/smilies/tango_face_angel.png) to make quick launch, all's I need to remember is to punch one button (turning off traction control) and I'm ready to smoke anything that's next to me.

·
Registered
388 Posts

As it turns out this is really great since if I'm at a light and want (need 0:)) to make quick launch, all's I need to remember is to punch one button (turning off traction control) and I'm ready to smoke anything that's next to me.
I would think keeping traction control on would favor a better time as taking it off would allow for more wheel spin?

·
Banned
362 Posts
I would think keeping traction control on would favor a better time as taking it off would allow for more wheel spin?
With most higher HP cars I'd agree that using traction control is probably going to give you the best 0-60 times. I know on all my Vettes it worked that way. Turing off TC on a Vette just burns up the rear tires on hard launches. However with the TH's AWD system, there is so little wheel spin with TC turned off, I think computers do more harm than good. In my experience with the TH, the difference is only a few tenths of a second but I'll take it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Even if you forget to hit the 1 button you're ready to smoke just about anything next to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did manage to hit a 3.4 but I'm spinning a lot even on launches from idle. My private road is a construction site right now so lots of dust on the road. And my tire marks look about 20 feet long. My all seasons are at 32 psi. I know there's more in her!! I'll keep trying.

Leaving at anything above idle just meant more spinning and 3.5-3.7 times.
I tried from idle in sport, auto and track and all had the same 3.4 best so far.

Also had a full tank of gas. Maybe on a better road and with a little less gas I'll be able to get low 3s like so many here.

All these runs were with TC off.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Due you press the accelerator slightly to raise the RPM's while holding the brake pedal down before you mash the pedal?
No, I "do" not. I just release the brake with my left foot at the same time I mash the gas with my right foot. I've tried power braking (from a little to a lot) but it gets more wheel spin and seems to cost me .2 to .3 seconds on the average.

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
no way. the computer cuts off power to stop the wheel spin and takes to long to cut power and start up again. the lil wheel spin you get is way faster in the TH.
if you had a 2 wheel drive car like a HC your better off learning how to pedal it then using TC. just practice how hard and fast you can push the gas before spin. In the TH its very easy with all wheel drive. I had a CTSV that took awhile to learn. it was like driving on ice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
After reading all the posts, you can see that it’s pretty hard to blow a launch in a TH. I too was surprised that Auto mode (trac control on) led to a 3.1. Auto is the smoothest shifting transmission mode, and makes the Sport mode option kinda useless.
Others have mentioned on this forum that full power launches in Auto may be bad for the transfer case, so I too set a “custom” mode with all Auto except transmission. In my TH, traction control needs to be manually turned off in custom mode, so flipping to Track may be the best option if you want longevity. If you want to get a sweet BEST for your display, you’ll probably get it in Auto.

I like the Launch mode! Maybe it doesn’t make a difference, but it’s way cool. A passenger may have to change his underwear from the anticipation and aggressive acceleration. BEST time is dependent on cool weather (50s). When I Launch, average RPM is 1200, sometimes less with dusty roads as you describe. Not over 1600 or too much spin. Good luck, and have FUN. #chasing2.9

1 - 20 of 22 Posts