Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new here, just picked up my new trackhawk last week.

I’m try to decide whether to do a mid muffler delete with the vibrant 1794 resonators or just the dual muffler delete and leave the mid muffler.

I’ve been reading mixed reviews about both. I love the loud growl I’ve heard in a couple videos. Just curious about getting rasp at higher rpms.

I also really enjoy the loud upshift pops that it gives off stock. I guess my question is will either of these set up retain that loud upshift pop with a louder growl and not too much rasp?

I appreciate any feedback, especially some sound clips!
Thanks guys

·
Registered
66 Posts
I deleted both the resonators it will give you more growl at idle and will make the upshifting fart noise louder too. Its way cheaper then adding aftermarket resonators and cut weight too. My muffler guy only charged me 80 buck total to do it. I hope this answers your question

·
Registered
76 Posts
FWIW, any you may already know this, messing with the exhaust as far as im aware wont get you any extra power stock or even with a smaller pulley, but will just make your TH louder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i recently did mid muffler delete (suite case) and then put the muffler back on after a weekend. here are pros and cons:
PROS:
1. great start up roar.
2. nice sound track around town. it is noticeably louder.

CONS:
1. under higher rpm noise gets obnoxiously loud. cabin just reverberate with exhaust note. i raced car for 10 years and im used to loud cars but this is different kind of loud. i didn't like it. resonance frequency is not in tune with speed traveling. even though it was loud but its frequency felt slower than actual RPM. it was odd feeling.
2. i could have lived with above point, but this really got me: you lose low end torque. especially at stand still to get up to routine traffic speed. with muffler on, trackhawk just jumps out of the line. without the mid muffler, it takes few milliseconds for the revs to build up to gather up torque. it felt noticeably SLOWer. i did not like this. because of this i put the mid muffler back on.

there might be different solution for this two negatives. but i am perfectly fine with what i have comes to exhaust: stock.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
173 Posts
i recently did mid muffler delete (suite case) and then put the muffler back on after a weekend. here are pros and cons:
PROS:
1. great start up roar.
2. nice sound track around town. it is noticeably louder.

CONS:
1. under higher rpm noise gets obnoxiously loud. cabin just reverberate with exhaust note. i raced car for 10 years and im used to loud cars but this is different kind of loud. i didn't like it. resonance frequency is not in tune with speed traveling. even though it was loud but its frequency felt slower than actual RPM. it was odd feeling.
2. i could have lived with above point, but this really got me: you lose low end torque. especially at stand still to get up to routine traffic speed. with muffler on, trackhawk just jumps out of the line. without the mid muffler, it takes few milliseconds for the revs to build up to gather up torque. it felt noticeably SLOWer. i did not like this. because of this i put the mid muffler back on.

there might be different solution for this two negatives. but i am perfectly fine with what i have comes to exhaust: stock.

hope this helps!

Hey John, good to see someone else from the RTP area. I'm in south Raleigh/Cary.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just took my TH in this morning to get a "mid-muffler delete" at my local muffler spot. Paid $150 bucks and feel like it's the best $150 bucks I've ever spent lol.

I removed that giant suitcase of a thing and holy $*** it's loud. It's a lot louder than I thought, Any video you see online will never do it justice...I'm worried my HOA will give me an ear-full regarding the exhaust in the early mornings. Honestly, I love the sound of it now. I think eventually i'll do a full exhaust system with electric cut-outs. If I stay on the cheap side, I'll just add the cut-outs to the stock exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
2,718 Posts
Lol. Maybe put something in its place before the neighbors get out the torches n pitchforks lol. If u do go cat back, I’m really enjoying my Borla s type. Loud n throaty without being obnoxious.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lol. Maybe put something in its place before the neighbors get out the torches n pitchforks lol. If u do go cat back, I’m really enjoying my Borla s type. Loud n throaty without being obnoxious.
Lol we'll see how long they can take it...Worse case is i'll get a complaint then throw the stock muffler back on and do electric cut-outs.

After driving it for a couple days I do notice that there is a bit loss of acceleration at times. Still can't get over the sound it makes though, love hearing that snap, crackle, and pop on downshifts.

To answer the OP's original question I will say you do lose that loud pop after gear shifts. It's still there, but once the engine revs up you can hardly notice it. I also found with a aftermarket CAI the whine is also harder to hear which I kind of miss now lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I left the resonator and took mufflers off only on my TH and love it.. but still wonder how it will sound with resonator off as well lol..

·
Super Moderator
1,459 Posts
Lol we'll see how long they can take it...Worse case is i'll get a complaint then throw the stock muffler back on and do electric cut-outs.

After driving it for a couple days I do notice that there is a bit loss of acceleration at times. Still can't get over the sound it makes though, love hearing that snap, crackle, and pop on downshifts.

To answer the OP's original question I will say you do lose that loud pop after gear shifts. It's still there, but once the engine revs up you can hardly notice it. I also found with a aftermarket CAI the whine is also harder to hear which I kind of miss now lol.
I feel so old I think the cat delete is overly loud. I am so close to putting the cats back on. Im wondering how it would sound with a cat back like lil hemi has it might calm it down?
I find myself pushing the gas super slow and light to keep the exhaust quite lol. it is awesome if your going WOT though.

·
Super Moderator
2,718 Posts
It’s been down so long I can’t remember. The fart noise is caused by the pcm n I think it gets tuned out when u modify. Just the cat back does a great job of gurgling n popping without being ridiculous. The 20 year old me would probably straight pipe it but 40 year old me thinks the S type is perfect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.