267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these mods would interfere with the warranty
Cold air intake?
catback exhaust?
headers?
lowering springs?
catch can?

obviously tune is a no go and pulleys would go in with that. If a guy is trying to keep the warranty what Is the maximum you can do(for hp and sound)? and please don't be the guy who talks about a brake line rubbing from the lowering kit, I'm talking real drivetrain components, not avoidable install errors.

Reactions: Coley

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cold air intake?
catback exhaust?
headers?
lowering springs?
catch can?

obviously tune is a no go and pulleys would go in with that. If a guy is trying to keep the warranty what Is the maximum you can do(for hp and sound)? and please don't be the guy who talks about a brake line rubbing from the lowering kit, I'm talking real drivetrain components, not avoidable install errors.
I would say that the best way to verify warranty concerns would be your local Jeep service tech. Different states, Different rules.
I already have a Livernois CC installed and no issue with warranty verified with my local Jeep service tech.
I am planning on having a Green Filter installed tomorrow afternoon, so no real change to the current air intake.
I need to check with my local Jeep service tech regarding catback exhaust, since my choice is probably going to be with SW.
I understand that BOLA guarantees no problems with warranty

·
Banned
362 Posts
I think warranty issues and many mods might depend on the exact warranty issue and the dealer. Heck, even changing things you are suppose to change (e.g.engine oil) could void your warranty "in some cases" if you don't change it when you should or if use the wrong oil.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It’s loaded question without a 100% accurate answer.

It’s all going to be dealer dependent, the warranty work being done, and how the stars align that day.

Plenty of stories of dealers trying to deny warranty work for stupid **** and others performing it on fully modded cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for you replies. I appreciate them all. however I was more looking for anectdotes.i.e. " I have a catch can intake and cat back, and got warranty work done for ____" if you could include dealership that would be cool too(lets hold these peoples feet to the fire and expose some of the bullspit). I personally, as well as most of you I'm guessing, find FCA and associated brands to have the absolute worst service, and I've already dealt with it in a few months of Trackhawk ownership when I checked my oil after a change and found over a quart overfilled. at this point I'm really thinking of modding especially after seeing the new thread in hellcat forums about a blown engine not being covered because the gentlemen doing his own oil changes allowed more than 6 months between changes, it was like 800 miles as a month garage queen, AND was flagged and warrantee dropped on a hellcat with like 10k miles. **** my Trackhawk sat on the lot for over 6 months before I bought it, and they gave it to me with the oil that was originally in there. i.e. year old oil, then told me to drive for 6 months before changing it. so the hypocrisy is huge. and with some of us having issue with intake where as other get the t case rreplaced under warrantee after a s1025 package....it just leaves a guy bAFFLED. LOL.

·
Banned
362 Posts

It’s all going to be dealer dependent, the warranty work being done, and how the stars align that day.

Plenty of stories of dealers trying to deny warranty work for stupid **** and others performing it on fully modded cars.

A dealer could be an asshat and use any excuse... Example, if you had an engine problem and you were not using the recommended Chrysler MS12633 spec'd 0-40 oil, could they deny a claim? There was another thread about this sometime ago and I think we decided (for all the good that does) that MS12633 was a recommendation and not a requirement. But, if they wanted to, they could probably make that an issue. By the way, the only oil I can find around here that meets that spec is Pennzoil Ultra 0-40.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Take any thread like the blown engine one with a grain of salt. We are likely not getting the entire story, especially with that one. I can see asking for receipts, but denying because oil was 6 months old is too unbelievable for me. Dude is hiding something.

And to be honest, I’ve seen all kinds of dealers dent warranty work, from BMW Audi and MB. They all do it.

Not that long ago, dude was nearly in tears next to me at service counter as he learned his bad cats and cel fix was going to be $3400 because his then new e63 was tuned.

I looked at my service writer and we both laughed and looked away.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey I'm a BIG fan of both, been reading your posts and lingering for a month before getting on here but, but please allow this thread to be for people with real world experiences on their TRACKHAWK (not tuned turbo Mercedes' that blows its cats out- even tho they are nice). maybe I wasn't clear enough on the OP> thank you guys and merry Christmas to all the christians and happy holidays to all the non christians.

·
Registered
582 Posts
How about this clear, my dealer wouldn’t go near a power modded hellcat with a warranty claim any where on the drivetrain.

There is no definitive 100% accurate answer for this discussion.

We could talk about this all day and it’s still be a 50/50 chance of getting your car repaired if your mod is in any way near the part needing repair service.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you research this topic in general, as I have, you’ll learn that a dealer has to prove that your mod cause the defect for them to deny the warranty. The problem is, how much time and money do you want to spend in court, all the while your vehicle sits in your garage unusable???

Dealers get paid/reimbursed by the OEM for warranty repairs performed. They aren’t making as much as if they were able to rake you over the coals but they still get paid.

I think having a conversation “to understand how your mod caused the failure” is a good place to start, but as soon as you start demanding you’ve lost.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The dealer may very well have to justify any non-typical warranty repairs with Mommy FCA. And Mommy can say no. Because she can.

IMO, there are not many dealers who will (just for the good faith of retaining a $100k TH customer) eat a major repair cost themselves.

Of course there are exceptions, and we all want to hear about those.

Good topic.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Actually, if a dealer denies a warranty and cites a mod as reason, the ball is your court to prove the mod had nothing to do with failure. Before any court actions, they really don’t have to present any concrete evidence. It’s already happened to one TH owner that I am aware of.

Center diff went and dealer blamed lowering springs. Said the springs threw DS geometry off and it caused diff failure.

Luckily he was a connected guy, previously owned a well known hemi speed shop, and he called BS and actually got FCA engineers involved. It took more than a few weeks to resolve though.

·
Registered
582 Posts
And to be clear, I’m only commenting here and correcting things because it is such a misunderstood situation and potentially costly scenario people find themselves in at times.

I’m not here to be argumentative, but to spread more caution. There truly is no ... “If you do X, Y will always be result ...” situation here.

It’s a gamble and not just confined to just how FCA operates. All manufacturers behave the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I lowered my Infiniti FX50(car I had before the Trackhawk)on Eibachs. The rear diff took a crap at 55k. They denied it because of my springs. I traded it in at Jeep for the Trackhawk. Happy ending to that story!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually, if a dealer denies a warranty and cites a mod as reason, the ball is your court to prove the mod had nothing to do with failure. Before any court actions, they really don’t have to present any concrete evidence. It’s already happened to one TH owner that I am aware of.

Center diff went and dealer blamed lowering springs. Said the springs threw DS geometry off and it caused diff failure.

Luckily he was a connected guy, previously owned a well known hemi speed shop, and he called BS and actually got FCA engineers involved. It took more than a few weeks to resolve though.

The dealer has to prove the mod was the cause in order to void warranty on the repair. At least that's how it is in Manitoba. Laws are different in each province and state.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Not exactly true. When you do a mod you have altered the TPC unit and they have to report that to Jeep Jeep and when they see it has been altered they can choose whether or not they want to enforce the warranty to the dealer. I'm going through it right now. I have only six jeeps and if they **** me on this I am going to go to my attorney and if all else fails hello Toyota

·
Registered
582 Posts
Not exactly true. When you do a mod you have altered the TPC unit and they have to report that to Jeep Jeep and when they see it has been altered they can choose whether or not they want to enforce the warranty to the dealer. I'm going through it right now. I have only six jeeps and if they **** me on this I am going to go to my attorney and if all else fails hello Toyota
So there’s a chance your warranty may be denied or might be honored.

Happy you cleared that up for us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cold air intake?
catback exhaust?
headers?
lowering springs?
catch can?

Yep, I am not happy about it and I do not know who to sue because nobody in this case is liable except me unfortunately

1 - 19 of 19 Posts