Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday I did Mid Muffler delete on the trackhawk, 1K miles. Straight piped from cats to the stock resonators. Holy $hit its loud. I had a 2015 srt previously which had catted ARH headers and mid muffler delete and I thought that was loud but it was nothing like this. The trackhawk resonators must be a higher flow then the 15 srt for sure. These have more of a hollow sound to them. Regardless this now has a lot of gurgling and popping then before. Volume is up bigtime. Super quiet on the highway, but when you hit the gas its a beast.

I did this only because I was thinking of going borla atk but before I spent the $ on that I wanted to see what this brought for the $200 for the muffler removal. This was 100% worth it.

Disclaimer... the supercharger wine is much harder to hear now but the exhaust note is wicked.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bummer was thinking of trying this but it sounds to loud for me. I traded a 2016 SRT in for the Trackhawk and miss the SRT sound with the ATAK Axle back kit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So my question is this.... what exactly is the difference in what I did vs. buying another system? The borla also removes the suitcase muffler but adds a x pipe if im correct along with their resonators. In my situation I straight piped to the factory. Ideally this is the same thing and a fraction of the cost. Let me know if im wrong. I just dont get spending the $1600 on something that does the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
1,109 Posts
am I confused? you took out mufflers or you took out the cats? the post makes it seem like you took out mufflers? if so thats insane and prob crazy loud?
whats a mid muffler and whats a suit case muffler?

·
Super Moderator
1,109 Posts
Im sorry I am lost.
there is manifolds to cats to mufflers to X to tips.
i can see the mufflers as a suit case but what is a resonator then?

I was going to add the Livernois mid pipe and wondering if that is what you did? I had though that pipe was just deleting the cats?
anyways thanks for help

·
Super Moderator
1,866 Posts
@Rocket. The mid muffler is just post the cats and is about the size/shape of a suitcase, then there are two resonators/mufflers closer to the tailpipes.

Technically it’s all just pipes underneath but what most people find out by modifying their exhaust (especially on the cheap) is that you wind up with cabin drone. If you want to get really technical about performance related aspects of exhaust modification, research exhaust scavenging.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I originally just did the suitcase delete. It was loud as f all the time and not really a nice tone, just loud. Would not recommend this option alone, definitely do some sort of system

341 Posts
Im sorry I am lost.
there is manifolds to cats to mufflers to X to tips.
i can see the mufflers as a suit case but what is a resonator then?

I was going to add the Livernois mid pipe and wondering if that is what you did? I had though that pipe was just deleting the cats?
anyways thanks for help

It sounds like you may be referring to the resonators / secondary mufflers before the exhaust tips. Our mid-pipes would only eliminate the primary cats and would leave the catback system intact. Then some guys are deleting the mufflers (Suitcase) after the cats which makes the exhaust a bit more aggressive than what most are looking for on a street driven vehicle, and can definitely cause some drone type of issues as others have mentioned on here as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,109 Posts
It sounds like you may be referring to the resonators / secondary mufflers before the exhaust tips. Our mid-pipes would only eliminate the primary cats and would leave the catback system intact. Then some guys are deleting the mufflers (Suitcase) after the cats which makes the exhaust a bit more aggressive than what most are looking for on a street driven vehicle, and can definitely cause some drone type of issues as others have mentioned on here as well.
ok your mid pipe removes the cats. I just emailed some of this to you guys today. any tuning needed or no power its a noise thing?

I do want the sound a bit more aggressive but nothing crazy. I also prefer more power.
normally what I do is add headers and leave stock exhaust. will this do anything power wise for the TH? would I need to have you guys adjust the tune?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finally decided and go do the mid muffler delete. Here are some of my first impression:

1. Start: infinitely better than stock. it has similar barking tone at the start like hemi 392s. it makes me happy when i start it up every morning.
2. Light to light city drive: it has very nice exhaust tone. it does washes out supercharger whine but i really don't miss the whine. like the gurgling it generates.
3. Highway cruise: almost no difference with muffler. I was little worried about noise at highway cruise (about 80mph) but there is really no difference.
4. Hard acceleration: oh lord. it's loud. im still getting used to this part. with muffler i used to get bark at the gear change but without it you hear it all the way until you let off the gas. not sure if i like this 100%

so i like it 3/4th of the time enthusiastically but ¼ of time im still unsure. i still have stock muffler so it can go back in if i get tired of it. time will tell!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I finally decided and go do the mid muffler delete. Here are some of my first impression:

1. Start: infinitely better than stock. it has similar barking tone at the start like hemi 392s. it makes me happy when i start it up every morning.
2. Light to light city drive: it has very nice exhaust tone. it does washes out supercharger whine but i really don't miss the whine. like the gurgling it generates.
3. Highway cruise: almost no difference with muffler. I was little worried about noise at highway cruise (about 80mph) but there is really no difference.
4. Hard acceleration: oh lord. it's loud. im still getting used to this part. with muffler i used to get bark at the gear change but without it you hear it all the way until you let off the gas. not sure if i like this 100%

so i like it 3/4th of the time enthusiastically but ¼ of time im still unsure. i still have stock muffler so it can go back in if i get tired of it. time will tell!
How are your impressions after a few months now? Was considering going this route or replacing the suitcase with a straight through type of smaller muffler/resonator. Maybe a Magnaflow or Vibrant.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
on my end no change in my thoughts still loving it and glad I didnt spend $$ on a muffler system. still no drone. yes its loud still at Full Throttle, highway cruising in comfort and sport are quiet because it goes into 8th gear. Track stays in 7th so a lot louder on the highway. WOT it screams and no hiding when your on the gas. Gets a ton of compliments on the way it sounds. You can hear mine on my instagram page, @scott_kaz73 you will see my truck on the dyno getting tuned.

·
Super Moderator
1,109 Posts
I ended up doing the mid-pipe delete also. the first set of cats near the headers or where headers would be. just unbolt the cats and bolt on the straight pipe. NO CEL woke it up at start up - loud when you hammer it and not bad at all when you just drive. I was reading it ads about 20 HP give or take. So for the cost and the extra HP to me this is the first place to start. Just over 500 bucks installed. If you have jack stands you can do yourself easy. Its been on a few weeks and I like it so far also. If that changes I will try the Borla S type next. Spending a few thousand and getting no HP dont seem right for me so prob not.
I kept my cats of coarse and will figure it out over the next few months.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I ended up doing the mid-pipe delete also. the first set of cats near the headers or where headers would be. just unbolt the cats and bolt on the straight pipe. NO CEL woke it up at start up - loud when you hammer it and not bad at all when you just drive. I was reading it ads about 20 HP give or take. So for the cost and the extra HP to me this is the first place to start. Just over 500 bucks installed. If you have jack stands you can do yourself easy. Its been on a few weeks and I like it so far also. If that changes I will try the Borla S type next. Spending a few thousand and getting no HP dont seem right for me so prob not.
I kept my cats of coarse and will figure it out over the next few months.
Good to hear. Are you able to post a picture of what was done so I can get a clear picture of how to do it? Is it straight unbolt, swap, bolt back in or do you have to weld things in? Is there a shop selling the straight pipes pre-made and ready to bolt in?

·
Super Moderator
1,109 Posts
Good to hear. Are you able to post a picture of what was done so I can get a clear picture of how to do it? Is it straight unbolt, swap, bolt back in or do you have to weld things in? Is there a shop selling the straight pipes pre-made and ready to bolt in?
straight unbolt and bolt zero welding.
I bought the pipes prefabbed but I am sure any muffler shop will make you a set. Livernois and stainless works both make a set. I wouldnt doubt the livernois is stainless works but who knows. you can see a picture on Livernois website.
I will never fit under the car to get pictures sorry but the cats are just behind the front wheels. I wanna say the total length is 3-4 feet (2 of them)

https://stainlessworks.net/2018-jeep-trackhawk-headers-and-exhaust

look at link it will show everything and where they go

·
Registered
203 Posts
straight unbolt and bolt zero welding.
I bought the pipes prefabbed but I am sure any muffler shop will make you a set. Livernois and stainless works both make a set. I wouldnt doubt the livernois is stainless works but who knows. you can see a picture on Livernois website.
I will never fit under the car to get pictures sorry but the cats are just behind the front wheels. I wanna say the total length is 3-4 feet (2 of them)

https://stainlessworks.net/2018-jeep-trackhawk-headers-and-exhaust

look at link it will show everything and where they go
Thanks man, really appreciate the info.

Reactions: ROCKETW19
1 - 20 of 42 Posts