Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night I got a nail in my tire on the Trackhawk and I pulled it out to see if it was in deep enough to puncture the tire and It was, all the air came out, so I drove straight to Costco tire center and after a long back and forth they would not attempt to repair it and said that I need to just replace it. Pirelli doesn't recommend repairing. I only have 3500 miles and only drove 5 miles on it flat. Have any of you experienced this ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I just went through this a week ago, mine wasn’t a nail, it looked more like a thin piece of metal - some sort of construction material. I took mine to a Pirelli dealer, Tire Choice, and they fixed it for me for free. Pirelli warranties these if the tire needs to be replaced, or so I was told by Tire Choice, but they don’t cover just a repair. So I settled in to just pay for the repair and left my TH there for the couple hours needed to do the work. They removed the tire, then patched and vulcanized it for me. They ended up comping the repair for me anyways.

Take it to a Pirelli Dealer. Even if they don’t comp it for you they’ll at least be able to make the proper repair on the run flat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tire dealers won't plug tires due to liability, this has been their policy for years.

I have plugged over 50 tires without a failure, several being run flats. As long as the puncture is in the tread not in the side wall. All of my vehicles have a plug kit in the trunk which can be purchased for under $15 at most auto parts stores. Not hard to do.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just had a screw in one of mine... like you minimal miles (4100), and mine are All Seasons, so they should last 15-20k. Tire shop I go to for _everything_ said they would not attempt to repair it, since Pirelli specifically says "not recommended" (which isn't a "don't ever" like some), which is enough to scare them into not messing with it... because as has already been said it is a potential liability issue for them.

Took it to my servicing dealer. They fixed it for me, no problem. $20. All seems good.

·
Registered
408 Posts
last night I got a nail in my tire on the Trackhawk and I pulled it out to see if it was in deep enough to puncture the tire and It was, all the air came out, so I drove straight to Costco tire center and after a long back and forth they would not attempt to repair it and said that I need to just replace it. Pirelli doesn't recommend repairing. I only have 3500 miles and only drove 5 miles on it flat. Have any of you experienced this ?
If this is a run flat then call Perelli - the warranty their run flats.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If this is a run flat then call Perelli - the warranty their run flats.
The warranty only covers replacement of the tire if it can’t be repaired, otherwise a Pirelli dealer will charge you for the patch. Unless you get lucky and it gets comped, like mine did. I probably had fewer miles than most of you, just past 3000 is when I needed mine patched.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Tire dealers won't plug tires due to liability, this has been their policy for years.

I have plugged over 50 tires without a failure, several being run flats. As long as the puncture is in the tread not in the side wall. All of my vehicles have a plug kit in the trunk which can be purchased for under $15 at most auto parts stores. Not hard to do.
I've plugged many tires over the years with the "plug kits". Many of them I was able to plug even without jacking up the car and taking the wheel and tire off. I carry these plug kits (and a small air pump) in every vehicle I've owned for the last 20+ years. NOTE, spend a few extra bucks and get a good kit with decent (strong) hand tools. They are only a few dollars more than the cheap ones.

·
Banned
362 Posts
I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE WAITED FOR THE GROUPS ADVICE. I was impatient and wanted it fixed and back on the car asap so I just plugged it and it is working well so far
As I said, I've successfully plunged a number of punctures on high performance tires over the years. Several on my Vetts Goodyear and Michelin's tires and one on my TH Pirelli's. I'll admit, the Pirelli's are the hardest to plug. The tire cord/belts on those things are really tough in comparisons to others I've plugged.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts