Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a TH but it came with a yellow (color) cold air induction set-up.
Concerned that it will void the warranty. Will it? Should I switch it to the factory set-up? I'm not a racer just an old guy that likes a little giddy-up when needed.
Also, there is a high pitch whinnying noise when moving at low speed. Is this normal?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Was this used? If it was new make the dealer put the stock box back on. As far as warranty yes and no. Depends on the dealer. By law they have to prove the part caused an issue but many dealer will push the void button at a drop of the hat. Ask your service manager what if you put an after market intake on. If you need an OEM intake post it in the wanted section. Lot of members installing after market intakes and may be willing to sell the OEM.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Post a picture of your intake. Many of us could see it and tell you what's on there right now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Concerned that it will void the warranty. Will it? Should I switch it to the factory set-up? I'm not a racer just an old guy that likes a little giddy-up when needed.
Also, there is a high pitch whinnying noise when moving at low speed. Is this normal?
Thanks for your help!
Intakes usually do not void the warranty. A dealer may refuse to work on it, if there is something wrong with the induction system itself, but that is super rare.

If you have an aftermarket intake, then some whine at lower speeds is normal. The intakes make the whine from the supercharger MUCH more pronounced.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Thanks for your help!

I’ll bet it was a low mileage TH and is the bwoody intake powder coated yellow. Whine will be more pronounced compared to OEM. Warranty depends on dealer but i can tell you that most dealers will look other way for Cai and exhausts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Was this a white unit in the Palm Beach area you just bought? I was looking at this unit and it appears it has an aftermarket Bwoody intake. Congrats on the purchase.
If you do not like the whine, you probably need to buy an OEM unit and put it back. I may be interested in buying your unit and we could meet up so you can hear the OEM set up. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago. TH originated in PA. Has a 5 inch diameter yellow cold air induction with no visible name on it. I'm a little old fashion and do not trust a dealer overlooking a change from OEM system if something happens.
So I'm looking to replace the CAI system for an OEM system.
Anybody have one they want to part with?
Thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Careful though; typically you have to tune if you change intakes. So if you bought a car with an aftermarket intake you may have a tune on your TH and THAT will definitely give them apprehension in providing warranted work.

FWIW, I have a TH with 22 miles on it so I don't now if this platform is different, but every other car I've ever owned requires the MAF tables be manipulated to account for a larger intake.

·
Super Moderator
2,294 Posts
The MAF sensor will detect the increase in air and PCM will compensate by adding more fuel. The benefits are colder intake temps (hopefully) and a small horsepower gain (these hp would’ve been spent on sucking the air through the air box).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not trying to be contentious BTW, just curious. If the MAF tables are unaffected then the CAI does nothing and is only for looks/sound.

·
Registered
128 Posts
But the MAF sensor is preprogrammed to know that from 0-5V (or whatever), that the turbulence is associated with X amount of CFM. . . This is preprogrammed. If the CAI is changed, allowing for more air, then the preprogrammed amounts according to the table related to MAF voltage will result in incorrect fuel command. If the TH then has the logic to look at the LTFTs and see that it is running lean and to readjust the fuel flow then that would be great though!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Not trying to be contentious BTW, just curious. If the MAF tables are unaffected then the CAI does nothing and is only for looks/sound.

Basically correct. It’s a 90% under hood decoration and sound enhancement.

There is very little in terms of performance enhancement.

All that said, get the right CAI, and this engine sounds ridiculous at WOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,294 Posts
I believe that the air increase is not significant enough to require adjusting the tables, given that they are set to work in such a wide variety of altitudes and conditions. Now if you put an overdrive pulley on the blower, you will have significantly increased the airflow and the MAF tables need to be adjusted. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
267 Posts
But the MAF sensor is preprogrammed to know that from 0-5V (or whatever), that the turbulence is associated with X amount of CFM. . . This is preprogrammed. If the CAI is changed, allowing for more air, then the preprogrammed amounts according to the table related to MAF voltage will result in incorrect fuel command. If the TH then has the logic to look at the LTFTs and see that it is running lean and to readjust the fuel flow then that would be great though!
It Does! smart hawk! maf sensor and the computers interpretation is a little more complicated than your layman wording but in general you are right!

THAT WAS THE FUNNIEST OP IVE EVER READ. seriously dude I wanna buy you a beer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts