Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles recently revealed the company’s five-year plan to investors during their annual Capital Markets Day in Balocco, Italy. Focused on four brands: Jeep, Ram, Alfa Romeo and Maserati, each presentation included a five-year product roadmap that ends in 2022.

It was there that Motor Authority asked company CEO Sergio Marchionne about the next generation Grand Cherokee’s platform. The CEO himself confirmed that the new Grand Cherokee will be underpinned by a stretched version of the Alfa Romeo Giorgio platform. Said platform is already being used in the Stelvio SUV, as well as the Giulia sedan.

"It started originally off the Alfa architecture, which has now been modified and extended to reach both a two-row and a three-row Grand Cherokee," said Marchionne.

Projected to debut by 2022, the new Grand Cherokee’s platform is said to be completed already even though the model’s release date is still under wraps. Joining the Grand Cherokee are two other three row models, an E-segment SUV and a model simply labeled as Low D.

When the models do arrive, they will all be offered with an electric powertrain of some kind as Jeep plans to provide an electrification option for each nameplate by 2021. Meaning the Grand Cherokee will get a plug-in hybrid option from the looks of it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Interesting. But, I thought we had read (on the Hellcat boards) from the deep throat operative within FCA that the Grand Cherokee would be redesigned onto the Alfa platform by 2020. And that the TH would only run 2018 and 2019 model years.

But, if the new platform isn't coming until 2022, I'll be buying one more new (current design) TH before the platform changeover. As a lifelong keeper.

I can't imagine that an Alfa-based Grand Cherokee would have the same muscle car feel of the current SRT/TH. And I'd bet there'll be no 707 hp Hellcat engine anywhere in the Jeep or Dodge world.

My crystal ball is more inclined to say that the next SRT/TH (if there is one) would be a twin-turbo V6. And don't rule out a hot hybrid (yuk.)

Me..I like a big cube V8 better than a high pressure V6 of similar output. I'm an old school muscle car guy.

Other thoughts?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I doubt they will alienate MOPAR fanboys that soon. If the new TH came with the RAM's head unit and was lighter (assuming the Stelvio chassis is much lighter than the Benz chassis) I would be hard pressed not to go for it regardless of the form factor (unless it looks HIEDOUS). However, I hope they quit making them come 2020/2021 so we have a platform that will never be around again....then I will mod the piss out of it as I'll know in 3 years if I can still afford it lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts