Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded my '15 Jeep GC SRT for a new TH yesterday. My '15 ran well... put a 5psi Magnuson blower on it with headers... did a best 0-60 of 3.6 in good air (40^F). Stock it was 4.3 in same conditions, so I was pleased with the performance. Never had any issues in 9000 miles, but I just absolutely love the platform so much, I sought to make a deal on a TH.

Found a local dealer who was not afraid of my vehicle, and they were selling their THs for $5k off sticker, so I took it over and got it done.

Mine is Billet Silver (this is my DD, so the silver helps ease of cleaning) and relatively lower optioned... black wheels (a must for me), HK audio and pano roof. I would like to add the Towing Pkg at some point. My kids are grown so no DVD system is necessary for me, and I'm more than content with the base seats.

I swapped over my WeatherTech floormats and rear cargo mat... significantly helps reduce wear on the stock mats and floorboards, but I'm just picky, I guess.

Today I did my first mod and de-badged everything on the sides of the truck. Kept the rear tailgate badge, but I don't know how long I will keep that. I really don't like a lot of badges, but that's just a personal thing.

So far, I'm very pleased with the truck. It is everything my SRT was, and then some, and that is a good thing. Even though I'm only at 100 miles, I did one 0-60 romp in Auto and hit 3.5 seconds and it is 85^F here today, so it is definitely quicker/faster than my low-boosted '15. I'll take it easy til 500 miles moving forward. I like the transmission programming (part-throttle shift logic) better in the TH than my '15 SRT. Other than that, the steering feels the same, and the brakes are a little grippier even at low-speed... could just be a different pedal feel, I don't know.

I do like the center gauge in the driver's gauge cluster... got the speedo in the center of the tach. Looks good, easy to read, and the important stuff is right there. The 180^ speedo on the left is just silly...impossible to truly read accurately, especially since it is 0-200mph. LOL.

Probably my only real "complaint" is the yellow calipers. I really like the red better. With all the brake dust these things make, the red was actually easier to keep clean. These yellow ones after 100 miles are already starting to turn grey/brown. The yellow may grow on me. We will see. :)

Mine came with the All-Season Pirelli tires (not sure if there is an option), and I will be interested to see how long they last. I drive 90% city, so they will wear quicker than if I did more highway driving. However, my '15 came with 3-season Pirellis and they were almost gone at 9200 miles, and I rotated them religiously, and don't feel like I beat on my vehicles. They are just super soft, I know that.

I'm a mod-aholic, but can't see doing anything to void the warranty on this vehicle, and it is stupid fast for something so large. :smile2:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi WA2FST,
Congratulations on your upgrade! I almost went with a new billet grey too, but then I found a used granite one (w/ 1800 miles) and after the test drive I was sold and I also traded in my 2015 SRT with 9,400 miles on it. Mine has all the same options as yours plus the Laguna leather upgrade. I see in your sig you have a 2011 ZR1, as do I. Mine is torch red and I hated the blue calipers at first because they stick out like a sore thumb, but in time they have grown on me. I think Demon Performance sells some street pads which are suppose to have significantly less brake dust than the stock pads, with near the same bite. As soon as the Demon Performance (or GiroDisc) brake rotors are available for the TH, I will probably order them for all 4 corners. On my 2015 SRT the brake rotor hats had rust on them with only 9,400 miles and looked terrible. The TH rear rotors are the same and it is just a matter of time (or 1 winter away) before they will do the same thing. I am sure they could be painted again, but due to the iron it is just a matter of time before the rust would come back.

You said you like to upgrade as do I. The things I plan on doing first which shouldn’t void the warranty are:

Oil Catch Can (took mine off of my SRT and waiting on a new mount for it for the TH)
Intake (check out BWoody or similar) Just not sure who to go with yet, there should be more on the market this year.
Cat Back Exhaust (or at the minimum do the suitcase muffler delete)

My stock exhaust makes a loud “verrrr-up” sound on WOT upshifts from the rear end, and I guess you could say it sounds like it is “farting” loudly… I have heard similar sounds in TH review YouTube videos, but they don’t seem as loud as mine does. Could just be the difference in being there in person verses listening to a video recording… It is just hard to describe, but I never have heard anything like it before. Did your SRT make this kind of sound after you put the supercharger on it? It is making me wonder if it is the pressure change in the exhaust when the RPM’s change.

Your TH looks like the perfect sleeper after the debadge, and looks good.

Thanks,
Mark

http://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/5-new-member-introductions/4178-new-th-owner-wichita-ks.html

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Overkill.

I picked up the '11 ZR1 not too long ago... first owner just stored it. Had 478 miles on the odometer when it got unloaded at my house. Mine is Jetstream Blue, so the calipers look fine... but I can see what you're saying about the blue with the Torch Red. Having had a silver SRT with the red calipers, I just think the red looks better than the yellow.

The "farting noise" on WOT upshifts from your exhaust is stock. Mine is the same way. I believe it is a tuning issue from the factory (pulling spark/timing on a full throttle upshift) to help save driveline parts. The noise may change somewhat with an aftermarket cat-back, but I bet there would still be some of that there... it is part of the torque management programming, IMO, but I'm basing that on other high-HP OEM vehicles with automatics that I've driven. It's a common thing.

I think the only mod I would do is to have it custom tuned... if a CAI really helped, then I could see that as well. The exhaust on this is quieter than what was on my SRT. I had long tubes on it, in addition to the supercharger. I kept the stock mufflers. It sounded really good. The TH sounds good, but I'm not sure if it sounds as good as my SRT did with the LTs.

The Granite Crystal is a great color (a lot like GM Cyber Grey and Ford's Dark Shadow Grey). I probably would have gotten that, but the only one they had was much more $$, due to it having more options...and things I really didn't need/want. Plus Billet Silver is just extremely easy to keep clean...dust doesn't show at all. LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks, WA2FST.

Late response…. Busy weekend I am sure for all…
If you have the Jetstream blue ZR1, then you are good to go as far as the calipers matching the paint color and that is a great color combo!

Thank you for confirming the "farting noise" on WOT upshifts from the exhaust is “OEM normal”. It makes sense if it is related to the torque management saving the driveline parts by pulling spark timing on the upshift. This kind of what I thought was happening with the sudden pressure change in the exhaust and I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t something mechanical. At first, I thought mine was the rear differential slipping making the loud “verrrr-up” sound, so this puts my mind at ease. (I also posted some videos of this with timestamps for new owners on my introduction thread):
http://www.jeeptrackhawk.org/forum/5-new-member-introductions/4178-new-th-owner-wichita-ks-2.html

I mentioned the CAI, not for any performance gains, but to hear the SC whine a little bit more. The same with the exhaust, just expecting a little throatier sound than what I had on the SRT. If you have it tuned wont that void the warranty? (unless you can easily re-flash it back to stock…)

+1 on the Billet Silver looking clean longer than the dark colors. I saw a lot of black colors for sale, but I knew better… Last black car I had was a full-time job keeping it clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts