Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning! I have these wheels on order now and just ran into a jam. Because they've never been made for the TH, for some reason I can't get my 1st color choice which is black with machined silver faces. I've been told I have to pick a custom finish. I already have the black upgraded wheels, so I won't be picking black. My next choice is gloss silver. I kinda debated going with gold, but I think they might look like crap with the yellow brakes. I really like the understated look of the TH, so I'm not sure if I want to make a statement and go with a different color, or just stay with the classic silver wheel. I'll keep my OEM black wheels for winter. Not a fan of bronze, it just looks dirty to me. I'm going with 22" dia. What say you guys? Thanks!

https://vossenwheels.com/wheel/hf-2/

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is a great looking wheel, and I agree that its probably better to stay with a neutral color. Either the satin or anthracite look like safe bets. Any ideas as to their weight compared to stock?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told approximately 35# each. Not a huge concern for me either way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
Morning! I have these wheels on order now and just ran into a jam. Because they've never been made for the TH, for some reason I can't get my 1st color choice which is black with machined silver faces. I've been told I have to pick a custom finish. I already have the black upgraded wheels, so I won't be picking black. My next choice is gloss silver. I kinda debated going with gold, but I think they might look like crap with the yellow brakes. I really like the understated look of the TH, so I'm not sure if I want to make a statement and go with a different color, or just stay with the classic silver wheel. I'll keep my OEM black wheels for winter. Not a fan of bronze, it just looks dirty to me. I'm going with 22" dia. What say you guys? Thanks!

https://vossenwheels.com/wheel/hf-2/
Bronze looks great on a black TH plus those look like they'll take a day to clean!

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
on black do brushed titanium or "brushed black" however you should reconsider your stance on not caring about weight. weight in your wheels translates 1 to 10 in terms of weight in the vehicle. try putting 4 buddies in the hawk and see how much different it feels, now imagine taking 4 buddies out of the car when they were never there to begin with....trippy.....

consider a different brand that makes wheels to be amazing and light that HAPPEN to also look amazing. not a company that is virtually the "supreme" of wheels (for you old guys supreme makes a 3 dollar t shirt charges 300 dollars) i.e. forge line, VS by vertini, bc forged (my choice), or a wheel that will look amazing weigh 24 pounds because its a FORGED MONOBLOCK and only cost you 4k. (which is what your bunk rotary forged vossens will prob cost.)

no offense to vossen, if you can sell a 3 dollar shirt for 300 then good for you. go on the VS08 in brushed black should be looked into.its a titanium color that will look perfect on black.

also any guys who don't know about sto n show take a look they are a no drill front mounted license plate solution that will make the Beemer boys wet. lol. every time I see a license plate drill mounted on the front of a trackhawk part of me dies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on black do brushed titanium or "brushed black" however you should reconsider your stance on not caring about weight. weight in your wheels translates 1 to 10 in terms of weight in the vehicle. try putting 4 buddies in the hawk and see how much different it feels, now imagine taking 4 buddies out of the car when they were never there to begin with....trippy.....

consider a different brand that makes wheels to be amazing and light that HAPPEN to also look amazing. not a company that is virtually the "supreme" of wheels (for you old guys supreme makes a 3 dollar t shirt charges 300 dollars) i.e. forge line, VS by vertini, bc forged (my choice), or a wheel that will look amazing weigh 24 pounds because its a FORGED MONOBLOCK and only cost you 4k. (which is what your bunk rotary forged vossens will prob cost.)

no offense to vossen, if you can sell a 3 dollar shirt for 300 then good for you. go on the VS08 in brushed black should be looked into.its a titanium color that will look perfect on black.

also any guys who don't know about sto n show take a look they are a no drill front mounted license plate solution that will make the Beemer boys wet. lol. every time I see a license plate drill mounted on the front of a trackhawk part of me dies.
Thanks so much for the insight Bloodyhawk! You definitely gave me some to think about with your analogy. I'm starting my search over again and putting more thought into it. The VS08's are awesome. Any preference on vendors?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you're planning to do anything other than show-and-shine then ask the wheel maker some questions

* How they engineer and test the wheels (i.e. finite element analysis, physical destructive testing, etc.). Which pieces of this do they do in house
* Do they cut their own wheels or have a "white label" wheel shop like MHT do it for them
* What standards they are in compliance with (SAE, TUV, etc.).
* Do they warranty for wheel failure (this is for wheel failure due to flaws in design/materials/workmanship, not road hazard coverage)
* Are the wheels are suitable for use at a track for lapping days on a 5000lb+ vehicle with max performance tires

Unfortunately pretty much anyone can load up a CAD program, sketch out a pretty wheel and send it off to a CNC mill to get cut to sell at tee shirt prices (or caviar prices for real douche-bag vendors). Doing real engineering, testing and certification is expensive though, so you won't typically see a "set of 4 for $1,000" ticking all the boxes...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Craig, thanks for the well educated input. I'm very involved in precision manufacturing, so this hits close to home and gives me a lot more to think about. Jumping at the first pretty thing I see online isn't always the best approach. I'll definitely be doing more research this weekend. Not that cost isn't an issue, I'm more than willing to pay the right vendor for the right wheels based on your points. If anyone has any trusted vendors I can approach, please let me know. Thanks! Happy New Year!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Face, try reaching out to Tony at Deviate Motoring. Email [email protected] I have not purchased from him as of yet however I know several people who have and had good results. He seems to be very knowledgeable and a good source for information. Good luck with the hunt!

·
Registered
267 Posts
yea that's great Bill recommend someone you haven't worked with.....

I ordered mine from Wheels performance out of MIAMI. Ask for RICK the owner, he's already done a number of hawks. He knows a ton. and can get wheels from any premium forged wheel maker.

and yea man just go and get those vs08 vertini ( it was my backup wheel vs. the bc forged, but at the time vertini was 10 weeks on production and bc was like 5 sooo) its a premium company and I know multiple people who run that bran wheels with way thinner spoke design on 4500 lb Cadillacs with 1000 whp. they are fricken thick spoked forged MONOBLOCK aluminum wheels, 10x stronger wheel than the cast wheel you were looking at. its like comparing forge line to forge star lol. you break em you should get an award, don't listen to people who are in the world of fear, not the world of facts. 10 years ago I would have said stick with an American or Japanese brand but now for 1/2 the price you can get into the same wheel because its made in Malaysia or wherever. this is why vossen is 10k a set, america tax. same cad machines, same t 6061 aluminum, same everything and unfortunately for vossen all the other guys copied them years ago, so unless your hung up on that red V in the middle of your wheels Id same your money and have your cake and eat it too with a good asian forged wheel.

the bloodiest

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm a big Forgeline proponent, but they are $$$, no doubt. The one thing I like about them is they seem to be able to get a 20" barrel to fit around our huge front brakes, whereas some of these other companies are telling me I have to run a 22". I know you're planning on doing a 22" anyway, so its a moot point for you.

As Craig and bloodyhellhawk have already explained well, wheels are not created equal by any stretch, and when you're dealing with a heavy SUV it is paramount to make sure your safety is important. I have friends who think I'm crazy, but yeah, I believe its a safety issue.

·
Registered
655 Posts
+1 for safety on any vehicle, but especially on a heavy and powerful one like a TH that will be driven at (or near) its limits.

I have Forgelines on my TH and love them. Also just ordered a set for my wife's 2019 Navigator Black Label.

Yes, Forgelines are $$$, but they are very well engineered, and the company has very good customer service.

·
Registered
267 Posts
DUDE that was the wheel I was going to do originally!! However they wanted A LOT for the 22 x 10.5......almost twice what I paid for the BC's. just realized I recognized you from LS forums lol. that is an awesome vette!

Forgeline is top notch and an industry leader for sure. I just couldn't justify an additional 2k for having it made in america, but at that 5-8k price point you can't beat forgeline Id say. BCforged are the best wheel I could find under 4(at 4), the vs is the best forged wheel I could find close to 3 but have quite a few less designs. they are custom wheels any company doing a real forged wheel can do a 20". not sure why you would pick that over a 22 with a Michelin PSS is 305... I can't imagine a better setup. im dropping 20 pounds per axel off my setup, premium, wide tire in a slightly less compliant but better performance 35 series.

just don't get vossen or vorsteiner for the 3k its a joke. their real forged wheels are 10k + which is a joke. this is aluminum were talking about not titanium or carbon fiber. forged wheels are going to be way stronger than any cast or "rotary forged" wheel. structurally you can't even compare the two.

Attachments

Reactions: WA 2 FST
1 - 20 of 24 Posts