Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since 2k miles my TH makes horrible grinding-type noise when accelerating hard to the right from a stop. Noise sounds like it is coming from right wheel well. (It sounds like the sound you get when you clip playing cards into the spokes of a kids bike!) Dealer is stumped. They have replaced bearings, axle, rotor. Front differential getting replaced next. They also are saying maybe it is a software glitch where the computer thinks the car is in a slide and trying to correct. It has been at dealer a month. Any guesses?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wonder if there is something wrong with the braking system. Also, there are harnesses that plug into the shocks for the magnetic suspension. They come VERY close to the wheel. I wonder if it is rubbing on it when you turn. Just a thought.

Reactions: RhinoTrackhawk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine started clicking once per revolution when turning slowly. By the time I brought it to the dealer, it was clicking a bunch of times per revolution at slow speeds and tight turns. Dealer ordered new disks and pads, but then the other issue occurred, so nothing was fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Based on some google research, it sounds like it could be a bad transfer case. There is a youtube video posted by a TimmyTandoori and titled 2015 SRT Jeep Grinding noise that shows my issue exactly. He had to have transfer case replaced. My dealership is focused on the differential.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Since 2k miles my TH makes horrible grinding-type noise when accelerating hard to the right from a stop. Noise sounds like it is coming from right wheel well. (It sounds like the sound you get when you clip playing cards into the spokes of a kids bike!) Dealer is stumped. They have replaced bearings, axle, rotor. Front differential getting replaced next. They also are saying maybe it is a software glitch where the computer thinks the car is in a slide and trying to correct. It has been at dealer a month. Any guesses?
I had this day 1 with mine. A FCA troubleshooter had to come in and found a stud in a floor pan that was not properly isntalled. Sounded like tin cans under the car when banking right and very hard acceleration. When the car leaned it was hitting a heat shield or something like that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Joining the club!

Curious what the latest info with this situation has been for others. Picked up a new 2019 today and didn't make it home before noticing that while turning right created some interesting noises. I'd describe it as a grind or rub with what I think is even a different exhaust sound (louder). Only 75 miles and parked in the garage with something that is going to drive me crazy till figured out. Thank you for sharing with what others have figured out.

·
Registered
695 Posts
So they haven’t corrected some of the problems discovered in the 2018 for the new 2019 model year. Way to go FCA. Do we need to wait for 2020 for the kinks to get smoothed out? This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update

Well the Trackhawk did make the 50 mile drive back to the dealership without leaving me stranded. Fortunately I was able to immediately get the Jeep to show its ugly self to the service writer. Im lucky that I have an excellent relationship with the dealership as I own a Auto Glass Business and perform work there regularly so I felt welcomed out in the shop. If didn't take long and found an immediate issue. Front Differential is done. Right side axle was out of casing and has destroyed the housing and internals for sure. My BIG QUESTION! THIS HAPPEN DAY ONE, 20 MILES BUT WAS NOT IMMEDIATLY DISCOVERED. NOW HAS 170 AND BACK AT DEALERSHIP. SHOULD I DEMAND A NEW TRACKHAWK? DO I HAVE ANY TRY OPTIONS LEGALLY? Thank you for your thoughts. I have told the owner of dealer that I would have not purchased the vehicle if I heard this on mile 1. He told me today that we need to figure out what all is wrong and we can sit down and discuss our options. The dealership is an awesome place, id even call them friends after years of business. Don't want to ruin that part but want a new vehicle as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1st New Differential & Axle. Now New 2019 Ordered

Good News! Jeep agreed today to buy back the 19 I purchased Saturday from the dealership. I realize that most likely once that one was fixed I would have been good to go, but its hard to get over such a major issue on day one. Jeep stated they are only willing to do so because the vehicle had not been title yet with 170 miles. Now another 6-8 weeks and we will try again with #2. The situation has been stressful but glad the manufacture rep stepped up and agreed to buy back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Exactly what I said.

Funny you said that. Jeep suggested to the dealership that they should do exactly that. The owner of the dealership is as stand up of a guy you'll ever get to know and just didn't want any part selling it without disclosing the info. He continued to work with rep today to get them to buy it back from him and get a new one on the way. Deal officially complete as of 2 today. Looking back, if something was not going to be right I'm happy it showed up immediately.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well the Trackhawk did make the 50 mile drive back to the dealership without leaving me stranded. Fortunately I was able to immediately get the Jeep to show its ugly self to the service writer. Im lucky that I have an excellent relationship with the dealership as I own a Auto Glass Business and perform work there regularly so I felt welcomed out in the shop. If didn't take long and found an immediate issue. Front Differential is done. Right side axle was out of casing and has destroyed the housing and internals for sure. My BIG QUESTION! THIS HAPPEN DAY ONE, 20 MILES BUT WAS NOT IMMEDIATLY DISCOVERED. NOW HAS 170 AND BACK AT DEALERSHIP. SHOULD I DEMAND A NEW TRACKHAWK? DO I HAVE ANY TRY OPTIONS LEGALLY? Thank you for your thoughts. I have told the owner of dealer that I would have not purchased the vehicle if I heard this on mile 1. He told me today that we need to figure out what all is wrong and we can sit down and discuss our options. The dealership is an awesome place, id even call them friends after years of business. Don't want to ruin that part but want a new vehicle as well.
I too had issues day one starting with bad struts. I tried to get dealer to take it back and they gave me a hard time since mine was ordered by me. Granted it was the 20th car I bought from them since 2013. Now one year later my TH is still in my garage waiting for Stericyle to pick it up and give me all of my money back as a lemon. I fear driving it knowing that it is going back and having a deer jump out the day before it goes back! As much as I would love another TH, there are way too many people on here with too many problems. I am hoping 2020 will have a better build. It appears as there were zero changes with 2019 and it is literally a 50/50 gamble with these cars.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I too had issues day one starting with bad struts. I tried to get dealer to take it back and they gave me a hard time since mine was ordered by me. Granted it was the 20th car I bought from them since 2013. Now one year later my TH is still in my garage waiting for Stericyle to pick it up and give me all of my money back as a lemon. I fear driving it knowing that it is going back and having a deer jump out the day before it goes back! As much as I would love another TH, there are way too many people on here with too many problems. I am hoping 2020 will have a better build. It appears as there were zero changes with 2019 and it is literally a 50/50 gamble with these cars.
50/50 gamble is a bit off, but I get it that you’re apprehensive after all of the BS you’ve gone through. What about buying a used one that’s experienced none of the problems? It seems like the lemons have been lemons from the jump for the most part. Pick up a used one that’s been put through the tester first. Mine is as reliable as any car I’ve ever owned, not a single issue to date.

I’m still stumped at the ‘20th car since 2013’, that’s nuts. Are those all for you? Do you have a large collection?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Scratch that. Old problems are back with new differential. My guess is the new spider gears are all chewed up and I will be on to from differential #3. Question is why? Nightmare continues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mystery solved. After replacing axles and differential with no success, they finally solved the problem. Turns out the catalytic converter was mounted too close to the body on the drivers side. When they moved it slightly away, problem solved. Why this took so long too figure out, we will never know. What a waste of time and good parts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.