Votes: 7 87.5%
  • NO

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many plan are on installing or have already installed an oil catch can? I have searched the forum and have found some members have already installed them and others have ordered them. After doing more research on installing one, it does seem to be a reasonably good idea. From some of the postings it appears that dealing with some vendors, real patience is needed. :rolleyes:

If Yes... then brand, and for those that have them installed; how long between having to empty them.
If No... curious as to why not.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a Billet Technology oil catch can. So far, I can go around 1,000 miles before it needs to be emptied. I don’t know if that will change as more miles are put on or not.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a Billet Technology oil catch can. So far, I can go around 1,000 miles before it needs to be emptied. I don’t know if that will change as more miles are put on or not.
How long did it take for them to get it to you? I've heard their customer service and ship times are not good. I'm considering the UPR catch can and several on the SRT forum say they work with existing hoses and they received theirs in less than a week.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Where does this oil go if you don’t install this?
A catch can is not needed for engine longevity and there are certainly folks who say they don't do much. However, if you are concerned with performance, and all of us here are, oil blow-by will eventually result in a build-up in your intake manifold and on your intake valves. To prevent pre-ignition/knocking your PCM will pull timing and you will lose a little horsepower. For $200 it is well worth the cost IMO, especially since we've all paid $95K+ for our vehicles.

I would say to each their own, Google "is a catch can worth it" and you will find multiple articles for a catch can as well as very descriptive articles on what they do and what they prevent then you can make up your own mind.

·
Registered
169 Posts
How long did it take for them to get it to you? I've heard their customer service and ship times are not good. I'm considering the UPR catch can and several on the SRT forum say they work with existing hoses and they received theirs in less than a week.
After I ordered what I thought was a “in stock color” (gloss black) from BT, I was surprised to find out they only process 1 color per week on a rotation based on how many orders they have for that particular color since they send them out of house for anodizing. So even though the machining was done on my order within 2 weeks, it had to sit and wait for 3 weeks before it got sent out with the rest of the black orders. This is all covered in their newsletter which I was not aware of at the time of placing my order. IMO they still have some of the best looking products out there.
They sent me an email after my order was placed informing me to check their manufacturing newsletter updates on their website to track the status of my order which I did.

Long Lead Times:
http://billettechnology.net/bt/order...er-lead-times/

Manufacturing Updates Newsletter:
http://billettechnology.net/bt/categ...uring-updates/

If you don’t want a special color/ finish or custom engraving, and like satin aluminum or black then I would try UPR. They probably have better turnaround times.
http://www.uprproducts.com/dodge-bil...ellcat-15.html

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just installed it as soon as I picked up the truck from the dealer 2 weeks ago. I will check it around every 500-1000 Miles , just to see how much oil it is catching.

·
Registered
266 Posts
After I ordered what I thought was a “in stock color” (gloss black) from BT, I was surprised to find out they only process 1 color per week on a rotation based on how many orders they have for that particular color since they send them out of house for anodizing. So even though the machining was done on my order within 2 weeks, it had to sit and wait for 3 weeks before it got sent out with the rest of the black orders. This is all covered in their newsletter which I was not aware of at the time of placing my order. IMO they still have some of the best looking products out there.
They sent me an email after my order was placed informing me to check their manufacturing newsletter updates on their website to track the status of my order which I did.

Long Lead Times:
http://billettechnology.net/bt/order...er-lead-times/

Manufacturing Updates Newsletter:
http://billettechnology.net/bt/categ...uring-updates/

If you don’t want a special color/ finish or custom engraving, and like satin aluminum or black then I would try UPR. They probably have better turnaround times.
http://www.uprproducts.com/dodge-bil...ellcat-15.html
Yep, that's what I've heard. I just ordered from UPR and talked to them about the Hellcat can for the TH - super nice and gave me 2 day shipping.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just talked to Scott @ Livernois and ordered one of their new catch cans for my TH. Scott was great to work with and answered all my questions regarding their new product.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've put a catch can on my last 3 vehicles and have been happy with the decision every time. I have used Billet twice and JLT once in the past.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone that voted and responded with insights and pictures of installed oil catch cans. You all are a great source of information.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm considering purchasing a catch can and have narrowed it down to three brands: Billet Technology, UPR, and Livernois. Any suggestions on how to choose between them? I've noticed that the BT and UPR cans are secured near the block, while the Livernois unit is secured to the SC cover...not sure if that would make any difference for long term performance or ease of use/maintenance (i.e. emptying). Any opinion/info is welcome. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I decided to go with Livernois after reviewing the available vendor options, and talking with Scott from Livernois. This install of the CC was very, very simple as it used the existing hose from the cover and one additional hose matched the supplied hose from the factory. As I described in another thread, it took more time to unpack and ensure all the parts were shipped then to install. Not quite sure about the reference to long term performance as the supplied screws matched and secured like the factory.
As far as access for maintenance (i.e. emptying) very easy, no busted knuckles.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts