Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first real thread started for this forum. Want to share a easy mod that should save some time, money, and headaches for others.

If you wanted to change the oil cooler oil, which is less than 1/2 liter, then you have to take the front lower panel off, which is a pain and probablynot something you want to do every oil change. While my panel was off I cut a hole in to get access to the cooler plug. There is about 3” of empty space between the panel and the oil cooler/lines. I would still want to take the panel off to do this properly, but if you are VERY careful and don’t go too deep, you could still do this without taking it off the vehicle.

Here a couple pictures to show the panel while off the TH, and then close up installed to see where the drain plug is. This hole is located as far to the side of the panel as you can go, without needed to cut in the body panel. I wanted to keep the radius on the corners at least 1/2” so to not create a stress point for cracking. I drilled some small holes (about 1/16”) along the sides, but just inside of the final dimensions. Then I used a 1” diameter sanding drum on a drill to take it out to final dimensions.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

There is just enough room to swing a swivel ratchet (or a standard wrench angle end). It will be tight to fit a full hand in there, but someone could enlarge the hole toward the centerline of the vehicle to fit a hand in. I wanted to keep it a small as reasonably possible.

I used Dimple Magnetic drain plugs. They are great staff to work with. In fact, they sent my 2 different sizes for the oil cooler, while only charged for 1, and let me return the one I didn’t use. Here are the correct sizes for their magnetic plugs. They match up well for all dimensions with the stock plugs.

Oil pan, M12 x 1.75 x 21mm
Oil cooler, M14 x 1.5 x 16mm

I bought their M16 x 1.5 x 12 plugs, should fit both front and rear diff, and the transfer case, will update on that later.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is nice and should of been something done at the factory. I had the monkeys not drain the oil cooler at my first oil change.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That is nice and should of been something done at the factory. I had the monkeys not drain the oil cooler at my first oil change.
Yeah, I'm not letting someone else touch my TH unless it is something I cannot fix, or a warranty issue. This is a great write-up, and something I will do for future oil changes.

Reactions: Terrible_One

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good stuff! I'm like WA2FST and refuse to let idiots touch my vehicles and do all my own oil changes and such.

·
Registered
110 Posts
At my dealership right now and they claim that the oil cooler drain/change is not covered under the Jeep wave (free oil changes) program and would be charged. The level 3 tech also recommended not to drain the oil cooler. Anyone else aware of this bs?

·
Registered
34 Posts
What kind of bs is that? Did they reference where the service manual states not to derail the oil cooler? I’d like to see that in writing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
At my dealership right now and they claim that the oil cooler drain/change is not covered under the Jeep wave (free oil changes) program and would be charged. The level 3 tech also recommended not to drain the oil cooler. Anyone else aware of this bs?
Because it's not easy to get to (need to take rivets out to drop the pan) I choose to just do a normal oil change, no oil cooler. At the end of the day the cooler holds maybe 6oz - not a big deal to bypass this.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Because it's not easy to get to (need to take rivets out to drop the pan) I choose to just do a normal oil change, no oil cooler. At the end of the day the cooler holds maybe 6oz - not a big deal to bypass this.
Let the fun begin:
Argument #1: "Leaving 6oz of dirty oil contaminates the rest of the new oil."

Argument #2: "No way. With such a small percentage of oil old compared to all the new oil, it doesn't matter."

What say all of you guys?

·
Registered
34 Posts
That’s bs that’s the program doesn’t cover it. Also, Why would Jeep not build an easy drain into the cover and save everyone a headache????

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also, I this is the first I heard there are rivers and not all bolts, to remove the belly pan. Is this really true?

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I think there are some rivets on the plastics underneath but I haven’t gotten under there yet.

I’m on both sides of the oil cooler draining argument. If jeep is doing the oil change, ABSOLUTELY they need to drain out the oil cooler. If I am the one doing it, probably not going to bother unless I rigged up something easy like others are doing. IMO, you never get all the oil out when doing a change so the contamination argument is really about how much oil left in the system is too much.

I’m thinking about getting a fluid extractor and doing my oil changes that way. Any opinions on the fluid extractor method?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Let the fun begin:
Argument #1: "Leaving 6oz of dirty oil contaminates the rest of the new oil."

Argument #2: "No way. With such a small percentage of oil old compared to all the new oil, it doesn't matter."

What say all of you guys?
In round numbers your leaving less than 2% of the oil in the cooler. I believe if you change your oil on a regular basis this can be left in.
Also the cooler on the gen 5 viper has no drain so a small amount will always remain in that 11 qt motor.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Not true. Did fourth oil change already, all have been covered under jeep wave including oil cooler. Find another dealer who isn’t trying to get out of doing work

·
Registered
695 Posts
Not true. Did fourth oil change already, all have been covered under jeep wave including oil cooler. Find another dealer who isn’t trying to get out of doing work
Does the wave program come with every Trackhawk? I don’t recall anyone telling me anything about it. I haven’t had an oil change yet. I’m also wondering where you check the oil life %? I have looked everywhere, can’t find it. I even searched for it and nothing came up.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My dealer didn't tell me about Wave Program either. But they sure tried to sell me prepaid oil change and tire rotations.
I learned about the Wave here.

I have since had the oil changed at dealer (no charge, thanks to Wave) and talked to the tech before and after...he did drain the oil cooler.

The Wave is included with very new TH.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, my dealer tried to sell me an oil package, but before I purchased my TH I already seen that the Wave comes with every vehicle. Once I brought it up, they began backpedaling and said yes, you already get 2 changes a year. Now to see if they will drain it all or not. Once the cost is on me, I will be sucking it all out the top and hopefully get more out that draining and not have to deal with the belly pan. I’ve extracted on all my cars over the last 15 years, wet and dry sump systems. I don’t see a down side...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Update:

So during the first oil change I did not get the oil cooler drained out. However I just got my 2nd oil change done a couple of days ago and was charged $275 for the oil cooler drain. I was on the phone with Jeep wave for over an hour and they were not clear if the labor involved with the oil cooler drainage was covered by Jeep wave. They are going to get back to me after doing some research at their end and would reimburse me if they could establish that is covered.

The agent I spoke with had no clue about the Trackhawk...LMFAO!! I had to spend and additional 15 mins trying to give her a crash course on the supercharged Jeep. She kept insisting that the SRT’s don’t require oil cooler to get drained out :mad:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Update:

So during the first oil change I did not get the oil cooler drained out. However I just got my 2nd oil change done a couple of days ago and was charged $275 for the oil cooler drain. I was on the phone with Jeep wave for over an hour and they were not clear if the labor involved with the oil cooler drainage was covered by Jeep wave. They are going to get back to me after doing some research at their end and would reimburse me if they could establish that is covered.

The agent I spoke with had no clue about the Trackhawk...LMFAO!! I had to spend and additional 15 mins trying to give her a crash course on the supercharged Jeep. She kept insisting that the SRT’s don’t require oil cooler to get drained out :mad:
My dealership has covered both under the Jeep Wave program so maybe find another dealership or have them talk to one that covers everything so they know how to code the process in their system.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts