Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yep i fly the Citation X and G-IV but the X is in a class of its own cruising at Mach .89 fully loaded and at 47000’ your all by your lonesome up there with no traffic to worry about lol but the G-IV? Well G-IV is G-IV its a great airplane with long legs and roomy and comfy.

I didn’t think of that oil tube you put in, i was thinking to my self how i was going to open the valve with out getting oil down my wrist lol, now i know how.
Very cool job you have!

I know exactly what you are saying about the X. The fastest I have been is Mach .93 with the FAA on board for an F&R flight. We even did some windmill starts/stops. I have never felt a rush of speed that can compare to the thrust of a X!

Sorry. I know I went off topic, but who doesn’t like to talk about speed here?

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
I did this mod today (didn't cover the hole with a nice aluminum plate,though) when changing my oil. Easy enough to use a basic Dremel and then a sanding tool like in the OP to radius the cuts. 15mm socket fits and with a 3/8 ratchet it is easy enough to get to.

Didn't get much oil out of the cooler, though, and I put the truck on level ground and even jacked it up in various places trying to get it to drain more. I didn't measure it, but it was a tiny stream for about 10 mins... maybe it drained more than I thought. ??

But, for peace of mind it is done. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good job. The couple of times I drained my oil cooler the oil came out fast and hot in a good stream for about 15 seconds or so then gradually slowed down to a tiny stream, I would leave it draining while I installed my oil filter clean up the area and get my self ready to put in the new oil and by that time only drops would be coming out of the oil cooler, every time it would drain 16oz.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good job. The couple of times I drained my oil cooler the oil came out fast and hot in a good stream for about 15 seconds or so then gradually slowed down to a tiny stream, I would leave it draining while I installed my oil filter clean up the area and get my self ready to put in the new oil and by that time only drops would be coming out of the oil cooler, every time it would drain 16oz.
Ok, well at no point was mine coming out fast and hot... it was the tiny stream the entire time. Now, I hadn't been on a long drive beforehand. I fired it up and let it run a little in the driveway and changed the oil.

Also, I drained the pan and filter first, then the cooler... not sure if the order would matter or not. Like you I left it sitting there for awhile. If i had to just take a guess, I'd say I got 8 oz out of it. But now that the mod is done, I can easily access it and do it from here on out. Thanks for sharing your experience on volume of oil you get out of yours each oil change. That gives me a gauge to consider.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes that makes sense a bit colder oil might make it stream slower, the drive to my shop is 20 min so when I change my oil I’m at full operating temperature and like you I drain the oil cooler after I drain the pan and remove the oil filter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, well at no point was mine coming out fast and hot... it was the tiny stream the entire time. Now, I hadn't been on a long drive beforehand. I fired it up and let it run a little in the driveway and changed the oil.

Also, I drained the pan and filter first, then the cooler... not sure if the order would matter or not. Like you I left it sitting there for awhile. If i had to just take a guess, I'd say I got 8 oz out of it. But now that the mod is done, I can easily access it and do it from here on out. Thanks for sharing your experience on volume of oil you get out of yours each oil change. That gives me a gauge to consider.
Did you remove the oil filler cap before draining? If not that could make a difference.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I added an "EZ Oil Drain Valve" to make the job even easier. No tools required to drain the cooler, put one on the oil pan as well. No tools required and no chance of over tightening or not tightening enough the drain plugs or even damaging threads. Simple easy and no mess, dont even get oil on my hands anymore!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice mod

Trying to do what you did. Your first photo shows the entire pan removed from underneath the car? Trying to make the cut in that pan like you did. Can't seem to figure out how to remove the panel to make the cut. Looks like there is a plastic rivet or fastner in the center of the pan under a metal cover plate. How did you get the plastic panel removed from under the car? I have removed all other bolts but NO plastic rivets and still can't get it off. I must be missing something. This thing is a pain in the but. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Trying to do what you did. Your first photo shows the entire pan removed from underneath the car? Trying to make the cut in that pan like you did. Can't seem to figure out how to remove the panel to make the cut. Looks like there is a plastic rivet or fastner in the center of the pan under a metal cover plate. How did you get the plastic panel removed from under the car? I have removed all other bolts but NO plastic rivets and still can't get it off. I must be missing something. This thing is a pain in the but. Any help would be appreciated!
I cut mine in place without removing. I don't have any pictures to share however it can be done safely. I was able to get my left arm up into the cavity and feel around and develop a picture of what I was dealing with and then made a couple of small cuts with a Dremel. There is actually more room than you might think in that space.

Good luck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I cut mine in place without removing. I don't have any pictures to share however it can be done safely. I was able to get my left arm up into the cavity and feel around and develop a picture of what I was dealing with and then made a couple of small cuts with a Dremel. There is actually more room than you might think in that space.

Good luck.
Do you plan of filling the hole with a cover plate of some sort?

·
Registered
412 Posts

Good luck.
This is exactly what I did. There is nothing directly above/resting on the plastic cover, so you don't have to be concerned with using something like a Dremel/small cutting wheel to create an access hole.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you plan of filling the hole with a cover plate of some sort?
I made a small cover out of some black plastic that matches the OEM stuff. I used stainless screws to attach it and looks stock (except for the stainless screws) I may change out the screws at some point but its not a must do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil Cooler Mod for Draining

Photo of my oil cooler cover plate. Borrowed a black steel cooking pan from the wife that I cut into this shape with some tin snips. Used some 1/4" nylon rivets (3) to secure it to the belly pan. I'll drill out two of them to pivot the cover plate to access the hole in the belly pan. The flat black of the cooing pan matched the black plastic perfectiy. Cut the hole into the pan similar to the original post. Will be able to attach a piece of poly flow to the EZ drain valve to drain the oil cooler. Thanks for the idea, just changed it slightly.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
I already ordered the EZ drain and elbow for the next oil change. I think I'll do some sort of plastic push pins to make removing the cover a bit easier. I'll source the plastic from a late model FCA vehicle in the junk yard on my next visit.

Reactions: maddog

·
Registered
39 Posts
First, thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread and made it easy for the rest of us! Just finished changing my oil, and I went ahead and cut access to the oil cooler to make it easy in the future. I'd also intended to install EZ Oil Drain Valves at both locations, but somehow managed to order the wrong one for the cooler :mad: Looks like I'll be back at it again on Saturday...

Anyhow, I wanted to share what I did for the oil cooler cover. It was about 20 bucks worth of ABS plastic and push pins at Amazon and I've got one that looks decent and is easily removable / reusable (pictures attached).

Here's the sheet of plastic:
Can't post links here so we'll use the title instead - Install Bay ABS116 ABS Universal 12 X 12 X 1/16-Inch Each

And here's the push pin box that I bought:
And the title again - Auto Body Retainer Clips Plastic Fasteners Push Rivets Clips Set Tailgate Handle Rod Clip 19 MOST Popular Sizes Door Trim Panel Clips 460 PCS With 1 Plastic Fastener Remover For GM Ford Chevy Toyota

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it's cheap and easy!

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yup happened to me to, the OP in his 1st post has the valves thread size and pitch inverted. I like your push pin fasteners set up, awesome.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts