Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a refresh ..I did the cut in plastic while the bumper was on with a 4 inch cutoff wheel and drilling holes at the junctions of cuts work good and I made a big triangle.big enough to get my whole hand in.

I hate trying to start bolts with a wrench or socket..too easy to cross thread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is all very helpful and the reason I like this forum. thank you. With that said I have a question that I'm sure I will get lit up for.
I have an automotive background and have been working and building cars for 35 years and I'm wondering if anyone is looking at there oil pressure gauge when they start up after the oil change? Whenever I do oil changes on my older cars I always fill the filter before installing to limit low or no oil pressure till the filter is filled. how long does the TH run before the filter and oil cooler are filled and oil pressure is back? any amount of time running with no oil pressure in my book is not good. FYI I haven't done an oil change on my TH yet, but I will do it soon.

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is all very helpful and the reason I like this forum. thank you. With that said I have a question that I'm sure I will get lit up for.
I have an automotive background and have been working and building cars for 35 years and I'm wondering if anyone is looking at there oil pressure gauge when they start up after the oil change? Whenever I do oil changes on my older cars I always fill the filter before installing to limit low or no oil pressure till the filter is filled. how long does the TH run before the filter and oil cooler are filled and oil pressure is back? any amount of time running with no oil pressure in my book is not good. FYI I haven't done an oil change on my TH yet, but I will do it soon.
Not sure why anyone would light you up for this?

I have been racing/working on cars for nearly 30 years, and do all my routine maintenance even now... and like you, I nearly fill the oil filter with fresh oil before installing it.

To answer your question, I do flip through the dash instrumentation to show oil pressure on initial startup right after I change my oil, and the oil pressure rises to proper level immediately. It is literally instantaneous.

Reactions: SRT Bill

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure why anyone would light you up for this?

I have been racing/working on cars for nearly 30 years, and do all my routine maintenance even now... and like you, I nearly fill the oil filter with fresh oil before installing it.

To answer your question, I do flip through the dash instrumentation to show oil pressure on initial startup right after I change my oil, and the oil pressure rises to proper level immediately. It is literally instantaneous.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be doing this over the weekend, everyone has spent a lot of money on these Jeeps and I wanted to see if it was an issue. I'm happy to see you checked and it is not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
One other bit of info that may be helpful - the EZ Oil Drain Valve can be installed on the cooler through the hole from below, without drilling out any rivets or pulling off any panels.

One problem I ran into is that the drain valve itself can only be grabbed with a box wrench from a couple of angles. It's a lousy design, and for some reason the bastards did not put a hex pattern to grab on the end of the valve - it's perfectly round :mad: So, after trying just about every set of grips and pliers I own eventually I found a set of channel locks that worked perfectly to grab the top and bottom of the valve to finish getting it torqued down. Also, don't forget to put a wrench on the square part of the oil cooler fitting for counter torque.

·
Registered
4 Posts
While we are putting so much thought into changing engine oil it's important to not lose sight of changing fluid in the other critical pieces of machinery: transfer case and differentials.

I had my transfer case go in my 2012 SRT at 120k and I did change all fluids at 60k.

Also my rear differential started binding, noticed when doing tight turns. Luckily changing fluid fixed that.

Important to use proper fluids and additives.

Not easy to find recommended service intervals for TH but finally found at Mopar.com where they track my Trackhawk.

At dropdown choose 6.4/6.2 L engine.

Recommends transfer case fluid change every 30k

Recommends both differentials (axles) if rough service every 24k.

I'm going to change trans case and diffs every 30k

·
Banned
178 Posts
I cut mine in place without removing. I don't have any pictures to share however it can be done safely. I was able to get my left arm up into the cavity and feel around and develop a picture of what I was dealing with and then made a couple of small cuts with a Dremel. There is actually more room than you might think in that space.

Good luck.
I saw some U Tube Videos that made the plate, then the template to cut the hole within the plate area. He is able to reach and remove drain plug, but has to use foil to direct the oil out of the hole.
I saw earlier where someone else removed the bumper plate. I noticed the directly under the drain is a triangular hole in the bumper plate. Can another hole be made with plate to allow a small funnel or to direct drain into a pan?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think most of us made a cutout for access and then added a EZ Drain valve with a piece of hose to drain the cooler. Should be a thread on here somewhere.

·
Banned
178 Posts
I added an "EZ Oil Drain Valve" to make the job even easier. No tools required to drain the cooler, put one on the oil pan as well. No tools required and no chance of over tightening or not tightening enough the drain plugs or even damaging threads. Simple easy and no mess, dont even get oil on my hands anymore!
Do you have the specs on the EZ Oil Drain Valve? And if using a hose what is the compatible hose to the valve?

·
Banned
178 Posts
Thank you for the information. The location of the cut out in maddog's valve install is closer to the drain but makes for a more difficult cut out, but more effective access to the drain. Don't want to put any holes in those coolant tubes. There would be no excuse for the dealer not to change the coolant oil with such an easy access (Wave Program).

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
209 Posts
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive design Tints and shades Auto part Wood
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Hood Tread

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
209 Posts
Ran braided hose from cooler to outside, don't have to take anything apart, just another drain plug on hose, not pictured a drain valve on oil pan.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Hi all,

This is my first real thread started for this forum. Want to share a easy mod that should save some time, money, and headaches for others.

If you wanted to change the oil cooler oil, which is less than 1/2 liter, then you have to take the front lower panel off, which is a pain and probablynot something you want to do every oil change. While my panel was off I cut a hole in to get access to the cooler plug. There is about 3” of empty space between the panel and the oil cooler/lines. I would still want to take the panel off to do this properly, but if you are VERY careful and don’t go too deep, you could still do this without taking it off the vehicle.

Here a couple pictures to show the panel while off the TH, and then close up installed to see where the drain plug is. This hole is located as far to the side of the panel as you can go, without needed to cut in the body panel. I wanted to keep the radius on the corners at least 1/2” so to not create a stress point for cracking. I drilled some small holes (about 1/16”) along the sides, but just inside of the final dimensions. Then I used a 1” diameter sanding drum on a drill to take it out to final dimensions.

View attachment 3918

View attachment 3920

There is just enough room to swing a swivel ratchet (or a standard wrench angle end). It will be tight to fit a full hand in there, but someone could enlarge the hole toward the centerline of the vehicle to fit a hand in. I wanted to keep it a small as reasonably possible.

I used Dimple Magnetic drain plugs. They are great staff to work with. In fact, they sent my 2 different sizes for the oil cooler, while only charged for 1, and let me return the one I didn’t use. Here are the correct sizes for their magnetic plugs. They match up well for all dimensions with the stock plugs.

Oil pan, M12 x 1.75 x 21mm
Oil cooler, M14 x 1.5 x 16mm

I bought their M16 x 1.5 x 12 plugs, should fit both front and rear diff, and the transfer case, will update on that later.
Can the panel be removed without a lift? What tools did you use? I would like to also do this one time, install an EZ drain valve, and get the proper tubing, cut out alum plate and cut proper size hole in panel. Do you store the tubing inside the panel or do you remove it with drain?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

This is my first real thread started for this forum. Want to share a easy mod that should save some time, money, and headaches for others.

If you wanted to change the oil cooler oil, which is less than 1/2 liter, then you have to take the front lower panel off, which is a pain and probablynot something you want to do every oil change. While my panel was off I cut a hole in to get access to the cooler plug. There is about 3” of empty space between the panel and the oil cooler/lines. I would still want to take the panel off to do this properly, but if you are VERY careful and don’t go too deep, you could still do this without taking it off the vehicle.

Here a couple pictures to show the panel while off the TH, and then close up installed to see where the drain plug is. This hole is located as far to the side of the panel as you can go, without needed to cut in the body panel. I wanted to keep the radius on the corners at least 1/2” so to not create a stress point for cracking. I drilled some small holes (about 1/16”) along the sides, but just inside of the final dimensions. Then I used a 1” diameter sanding drum on a drill to take it out to final dimensions.

View attachment 3918

View attachment 3920

There is just enough room to swing a swivel ratchet (or a standard wrench angle end). It will be tight to fit a full hand in there, but someone could enlarge the hole toward the centerline of the vehicle to fit a hand in. I wanted to keep it a small as reasonably possible.

I used Dimple Magnetic drain plugs. They are great staff to work with. In fact, they sent my 2 different sizes for the oil cooler, while only charged for 1, and let me return the one I didn’t use. Here are the correct sizes for their magnetic plugs. They match up well for all dimensions with the stock plugs.

Oil pan, M12 x 1.75 x 21mm
Oil cooler, M14 x 1.5 x 16mm

I bought their M16 x 1.5 x 12 plugs, should fit both front and rear diff, and the transfer case, will update on that later.
Hello, new to this group because i just purchased my first trackhawk made in 2018. I just recently installed fumoto drain valve on the pan. Is the oil cooler drain plug the same thread as the oil pan plug?

chito

·
Banned
178 Posts
This weekend during my oil change, I cut an access hole for the oil cooler, installed EZ-Drain valves and a drain hose. I also made a cover plate that is easy to slide in and out. I am not saying my cover plate is better than what has already been done; it is just another way to do it. I was surprised by just how much oil comes out of the oil cooler and it will be easier than ever to drain it now at oil changes.
Noticed no rivet on the opposite end Does the plate still fit snug?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Noticed no rivet on the opposite end Does the plate still fit snug?
The plate is very snug and secure. The plate is larger than what you can see and slides between the bumper cover/ wind deflector and the belly tray. To remove the plate I just remove the pinch bolt (arrowed) and the plastic rivet and it slides right out. Other pictures can be seen in my #37 post in this thread. I made the plate first, then traced around it so I knew how big of a hole I could make.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts